The plan: retire FTX Mode - your input please

John,

This is indeed great news, that you plan to eliminate FTX mode. While I absolutely love AU Blue, I had pretty much decided not to purchase any more scenery areas, mainly because of the difficulty of flying from an non-FTX area to an FTX one.  I live in the Pacific Northwest and do a lot of virtual flying there. I was eagerly looking forward to the FTX treatment of that area, but when I realized that FTX mode couldn't be switched on and off on the fly I knew that I wouldn't want to use it.

Call me a happy flyer! You can count on my future purchases of Australia and beyond!

Tom Murphy

Salem OR

KSLE

John,

This is a tough question—and it is hard for us to know exactly what you are asking.

So far, apparently, you've found it helpful to have special definitions (for textures and landclass) in order to produce the localized flavor of Australia. As you know, this specialized character makes FTX a real treat. So one question we want to ask you would be: can you produce the unique Australian atmosphere without having the "FTX" button?

For many of us, FTX has two real attractions. First, it is awfully good scenery. And second, it allows us to imagine that we are flying over Australia rather than any generic landscape.

It makes sense to "lose" the FTX button for the Pacific Northwest. After all, there you want to merge seamlessly with Allen's Ultimate Terrain X and (one hopes) with GEXn. Perhaps the same would be true for Europe—in the future.

If you can produce great stuff without switching the fundamentals, then by all means please go forward. However, it the special flavors require such a trick then please keep it in play. For Australia, the feeling of the lucky country is to be treasured.

Best,

Mike

Just a thought John, how about a compatibility mode switch...?

Keep FTX mode (call it FTX enhanced mode if you like) but give users the option of switching to a compatibilty mode which features toned down versions of your modded files that work with other scenery packages....

So you'd have three modes - Full FTX - Compatibilty FTX - FTX off.

don't know if its possible. It was just a thought.  ;)

Paul

Just a thought John, how about a compatibility mode switch...?

Keep FTX mode (call it FTX enhanced mode if you like) but give users the option of switching to a compatibilty mode which features toned down versions of your modded files that work with other scenery packages....

So you'd have three modes - Full FTX - Compatibilty FTX - FTX off.

don't know if its possible. It was just a thought.  ;)

Paul

Yeah great idea Paul, well worth exploring actually. To be honest, only the roofs are the biggest painpoint right now, and that's an easy one to fix. We're not going to look into FTX Mode until after AU RED is out, when we have a little down time between RED and the PNW beta. Thanks for the suggestion, it's appreciated!

Archived