A tool that is a tweak for me

darem

Originally, I discovered this tool while searching for a way to detach certain windows (like ATC) to a second monitor when in full screen mode. It is said that this can't be done (full screen blackens the second monitor), but the FS-SIMtimizer fakes full screen by putting FSX in a 1px-bordered window:

http://www.friendlyflusi.at/index.php?page=DownloadDBData&dataID=23 (no english version, you have to understand german or use translate.google.at, sorry).

For me, this tool has an astonishng side effect: Though I am running a highly optimized fsx.cfg (thanks to Bojote), running FSX in the fake full screen mode gives me another fps-boost, and a pretty noticeable one.

Don't know if this only happens with my configuration, but since FS-SIMtimizer is a great tool for what it does, (like monitoring of the ATC radio communications, easy operation of the autopilot, Optimized display, especially in multi-monitor systems, Throttle sync), I thought I post this here so you can try it yourself and share your results.

Hi

Just thought I would add to the post . I downloaded this yesterday to tried it out, I must say that I am impressed.  If any of you are using software with FSX that you cannot see when in full screen then this is a must have. Although the manual is in German the main screen on the program when run is in English so it is not hard to work it out yourself. Simply extract the install file to your hard drive and then run. THe program waits until you start FSX to initiate, it olso turns off automatically once FSX is turned off. It is great to be ble to fly without the windos lines etc across the top of the screen. You will also notice that you do not loose any fps like you can when running in full screen.

Ken :)

CathyH

That was an excellent reply asking where to download cathy. I must admit it took me a while to find the download myself as the only German I know is from year 8 at school and that was back in the early 70s. I hope you found the download

Ken  ;D

For some reason i didn't work for me, just got this error when i started the program :)

---------------------------

FS-SIMtimizer.exe

Error: "ö" is not a valid key name.  The current thread will exit.

Line#

---> 1776: Hotkey,$%atc_HotKeyATCWindow%,searchHotkeyX

OK 

Any ideas what could cause this? :)

Toby91

Hi Toby91,

ö,ä,ü are so called  German-"Umlaute" meaning: oe,ae,ue. (Doesn´t exist in englisch alphabet) (See my nickname "Aeugli", in german just "Äugli", for an englisch/australian/american tongue nearly impossible to pronounce correctly ;D)

You have probably an englisch keyboard, therefore no ö,ä,ü, should be there.

Just try oe,ae,ue or some other key-mapping (ö,ä,ü I think are just examples for key-mapping, which may be still un-mapped/free.).

Hope this helps (haven´t tried that program yet, but my other experiences with freindlyflusi are all positive!)

Cheers Rainer

CathyH

That was an excellent reply asking where to download cathy. I must admit it took me a while to find the download myself as the only German I know is from year 8 at school and that was back in the early 70s. I hope you found the download

Ken  ;D

Not yet, got a migraine off to bed will try tomorrow

Darem:  in full screen mode, any 2D window popup, chosen from the instrument views menu, or clicking a  hotspot or using a key like for ATC can be moved to the second blacked screen.  I and many do the same, as it means the FMS, ATC, GPS can sit there while you change around Spot and other views on the main screen - but more importantly it keeps the VC uncluttered.

Just left click on the top of the popup window bar (and ATC is just a 2D popup) and drag across to the second screen.  Resize to suit yourself, and you can have as many as you want on the second screen.

You can't do it if you fly in windowed mode, and sometimes the menu bar gets mixed with the top bar of the popup and it won't move.  Just resize, using the double arrow on a boundary, and then move.

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys,

Tried to download FS-SIMtimizer but I get an error page, anybody got a copy they can send to me please, will be getting a 2nd monitor next week and I may need this program.

Your expert help would be appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all...

I've given this a try and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to be using this or how it works... Does Simtimizer make the normal "full screen mode" into a maximised window with a 1px border, or is it supposed to make "windowed mode" work with a 1px border? Either way I can't see any border or difference to normal "full screen" or "Windowed" modes in FSX as run without it.

Should I:

A ) Start Simtimizer, start FSX, run a flight in windowed mode? (I've tried this and I still get the normal window borders and title bar, plus the sim runs much slower and I get definite FPS drops, even in very basic areas)

B ) Start Simtimizer, start FSX, run a flight in full screen mode? (This seems to give the best results, but I can't detect the supposed 1px border and full screen always works better for me anyway... Is it still in regular full screen mode or is this where Simtimizer kicks in?)

I get the impression it should be option A, but if that's the case, it's not working for me... The program launches automatically when FSX starts, so I know it's at least loading and running...

Hope you can help!

P.S... I'm mainly interested in this as I want to use the FSwidget apps and I need to run FSX in windowed mode for that... But I don't want to have a title bar or menus...

Looks very interesting. My performance is indeed better in fullscreen but because of using two monitors and different addons I changed to windowed mode. I will give it a test later in the evening. If there are any questions concerning the manual or the program ask please. For I am a German native speaker there should be no problem to translate it for you :) If I will find some time I will translate the most important parts of the manual. But I cant promise anything cause I am a bit occupied by my diploma thesis ;)

Got it working - the module folder is not needed (FS9 only). The other folder you paste into the FSX root and start the exe after starting FSX (it says you can start it before FSX, but this didn't seem to work over here).

I lost 5 FPS against full-screen, ENB didn't work anymore and i also lost popup windows like for example the shift+4 setup for the Dynamic. So...

• 6 years later...

Archived