Advice required - 4k 28" Monitor

paulk

Hi All

Reaching out for some assistance please.

I am about to buy a new PC, specs below:

Processor (CPU): AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core 5GHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16GB
Memory: 32GB RGB DDR5 6000MHz (2 x 16GB)
System Drive: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME M.2 SSD - PCIE 4.0 x2
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X670-P WIFI - AM5

I am currently using a 28" Ilyama Monitor 1080, and it has lasted me very well.

However, I've been advised to buy a 4K monitor to match the new PC.

Please can any one advise on what sort of 4K Monitor I should be looking to buy:

I am hearing key words such as, OLED, Refresh Rates, Response Times etc.

I am confused, it must be 28" and flat.

Please can any one offer assistance - thanks.

Edited by paulk

Just for info, I am currently looking at this model:

LG UltraGear 27GR93U 27" IPS 4K UHD 144Hz 1ms Adaptive Sync Gaming Monitor

which is retailing for £375.00 (about mu budget limit)

27" to 28" is fine.

6 hours ago, paulk said:

Just for info, I am currently looking at this model:

LG UltraGear 27GR93U 27" IPS 4K UHD 144Hz 1ms Adaptive Sync Gaming Monitor

which is retailing for £375.00 (about mu budget limit)

27" to 28" is fine.

I have the 32" version of this. Great value for sure. No problems here.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, boetie said:

That looks like a great PC Paul. You'll have to get into VR now!

Thanks, it took me a while to research, spoke to the company who’s making it and we made a few tweaks. Had to remove the 4090 24GB graphics card as my budget just couldn’t go that far. Went one down so hoping the 4080 Super 16GB will work well now and with MSFS2024. Hoping to see a big difference compared to my old PC which I actually bought for P3d over 7 years ago.

My main monitor is an Asus 35inch curved and I have a Dell 32" sitting next to it. I want to move to VR but I have an RTX 3080 card which I've heard will struggle with a good VR headset. I do have an Oculus Rift which has long been shelved, the resolution is no good for simming. I hope to retire within 6 months and invest in 4090 system and purchase a Pimax Crystal headset. I have a ton of long service leave owing which I hope will fund it. 🤞 A 4080 Super sounds very salubrious, you'll have to report back with your experiences.

Cheers 

Graeme :)

• Thanks 1

I've been using a curved monitor for many years,I find it much more immersive & realistic than the old flat ones I began this hoby on.Try a request to any simmers in your area if they use a curved monitor would they mind if you had a look before you commit to purchase I think you'll find the difference quite amazing.

Kim.

• Thanks 1

the LG is great, whilst I only bought the 2k version it was a step up with all the newer functions it has over my old monitor, Milo and Scott had some good recommendations for me and the LG was the best...

@paulk I am going to be interested in how you do with that CPU, I plan a new build next year and that was the one I am thinking of getting but I have always had Intel...

Posted (edited)

Hi

To be honest I am an Intel man my self also. 

Apparently, the last versions of the Intel chip have not performed as as expected (so I was told). For pure Flight Sim. only I was assured this is the CPU to go for.

I notice a few high spec machines appear to be using this chip.

I will keep you posted.

Edited by paulk
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FILOU said:

At this level of hardware you should opt for QLED or OLED. You don't even have to think too much...

Sadly I do need to think about my wallet (the budget). 

Can you recommend a good QLED or OLED 28’’ monitor. I really would value your expert opinion (followed many of your posts in these forums over the years).

4 hours ago, Kim Sibbritt said:

I've been using a curved monitor for many years,I find it much more immersive & realistic than the old flat ones I began this hoby on.Try a request to any simmers in your area if they use a curved monitor would they mind if you had a look before you commit to purchase I think you'll find the difference quite amazing.

Kim.

Please could you recommend a few models out there - thanks in advance.

Son's always had AMD and he says they're ace...

Saw an ad saying Newegg whoever they are, they're giving away a 1tb SSD with certain AMD CPU.... not even sure which country Newegg are in...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just a quick update the new PC has arrived, still spending a lot of time uploading all my add ons etc.

Had to upgrade GPU drivers, managed to play with Graphics settings and can get a really good picture on my old monitor and can get 55fps over NYC / Manhattan and 35fps flying into LAX (two heavy areas). 

If I enable all DLSS settings FPS goes up to 85 over NYC but I have some Latency / Tearing issues when panning around in the flight deck.

Think some of this is due to my old monitor. 

I did try it out on my 55’’ 4K TV and was blown away with the quality.

still not ordered a new monitor yet as still busy setting everything up.

Any suggestions about Graphics settings etc is appreciated.

• Like 1

"I did try it out on my 55’’ 4K TV and was blown away with the quality.""

There you go mate - you answered yourself - I use a 50" HD with the PC and a 48" 4K with the x box

i find that with my 3000 series and 48 ram - I am happier with the HD rather than the 4k - and Nvidia 

has me automatically set up and I can't see the difference with the 4K that I did try with the same set up

but went back to the HD for the better performance

But if you PC can handle the 4k - as it seems to - go for it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paul, I know you said you prefer a flat monitor but I recommend the Samsung 27" CH 711 monitor.

Resolution is an incredible 2560 x 1440

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/curved/27--ch711-curved-monitor-lc27h711qenxza/

I hve three of them in a curved wide display, but one would do a great job for you.

Cheers

Ken

• Thanks 1