This Week's Meaningless Topic (#207)(August 21)

Hi all. It's quite understandable that there are over 90 aircraft named after birds. The same with places or people -- we've always honored such. But did you know that over 80 aircraft are named after bugs? Does a dung beetle come to mind when you are flying? Or a chigger? Or a louse? And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Off the top of your head, how many aircraft can you name that are named after insects? 

(Once you have depleted your memory, check out this link to see an exhaustive list  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Aircraft_named_after_insects)

• Like 1

Hmmm, have to think about this.  Four come to mind, so I'll start the conversation with:

Tiger Moth and Gypsy Moth

Mosquito

Hornet

And then there's the Wasp radial engine

Ken

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stiletto2 said:

Skyhawk.

Of course!  There are two:  the familiar Cessna C172, and the Douglas A-4.

There is also the Seahawk naval (largely ASW) helicopter.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Insects only, guys. Come on, you can do it! 

Oops!  Thought you were looking for birds but now that I have my glasses on I see that you are looing for insects.  Here are a few:

Firefly (numerous aircraft including a Sikorsky electric helicopter), Dragonfly (several including an old De Havilland DH 90), Aeronca Grasshopper (WWII Observation)

Rod

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Before posting this topic, I had tested my own memory of "bug" planes. I came up with this:

BIPLANES -- Moth, Gypsy Moth, Tiger Moth, Firefly.

EXPERIMENTAL -- Gnat, Ant, Flea, Honeybee.

WAR PLANES -- Mosquito, Dragonfly, Grasshopper, Wasp.

HELICOPTERS -- Mantis

After looking these up, I found that several were misremembered as to type, plus I had totally forgotten the Hornet (!) Looking at the inclusive list is quite an insight into plane design. BZZZZZ 🤪

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, boetie said:

First thing that came to mind - Wasp. And only thing that came to mind. I don't even know what it is. I'll have to Google it.

weren't they engines?

I can't think of any....

• Like 1