Hi all. Here in eastern Washington State, USA, we are setting new heat records: two weeks and counting with temps 90-105F (32-40C). It's hot! I know others elsewhere are sweating too. My question is, how is everyone doing? Is everybody safe?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

I know I'm not in the States but we are

freezing our bums off down here in Oz.

I would love to swap with you Rodger.😱

cheers

Gumby

Now c'mon Grant, I know it's relative but you are as close to the Antarctic as most Aussies are.

In subtropical/tropical Oz it's quite nice and warm in the sun, in fact, spent the morning having a picnic with the family on the Tweed River, we all had shorts on! If we were experiencing Rodger's temps we would've been in our undies! Then I look at the Live Webcam of Mt Buller etc and there's blizzard conditions!

Stay cool Rodge, keep hydrated and do things slowly. You Octageneria folk have a habit of thinking you're forty. 

Cheers 

Graeme :) :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

I know I'm not in the States but we are

freezing our bums off down here in Oz.

I would love to swap with you Rodger.😱

cheers

Gumby

8 hours ago, boetie said:

A very pleasant 22°C in Tweed today, feeling for you guys, best just to turn up the aircon and watch sport on TV :)

5 hours ago, boetie said:

Now c'mon Grant, I know it's relative but you are as close to the Antarctic as most Aussies are.

In subtropical/tropical Oz it's quite nice and warm in the sun, in fact, spent the morning having a picnic with the family on the Tweed River, we all had shorts on! If we were experiencing Rodger's temps we would've been in our undies! Then I look at the Live Webcam of Mt Buller etc and there's blizzard conditions!

Stay cool Rodge, keep hydrated and do things slowly. You Octageneria folk have a habit of thinking you're forty. 

Cheers 

Got to admit I forgot that y'all way down south have seasons flipped from ours here in the northern hemisphere. So now I'm sitting here sweating and envying you guys. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Nothing extraordinary here on Long Island, New York.  We had a spell of uncomfortable hot muggy weather.  Being surrounded by water moderates the temperature, but increases  the humidity.  Now we're in a stretch of mid 80s, and lower humidity, but this will only last a couple more days.  The very end of July and first half of August are usually the worst.  Then comes the hurricane season in September and October.

Ken

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, boetie said:

Cheers 

You wouldn't be rubbing it in would you Graeme?:D

To tell you the honest truth, I haven't worn long trousers

all year. I hate them, so shorts and t shirt for me, hopefully for

the rest of the year. I will put a hoody on if I'm out at night in the cold

but for majority of time I'm here indoors with the heaters on.

Roll on Summer. A week ago we were waking up to -3,-4 temps which was cold

but a nice day followed. But who talks about the weather? Not me.:D

cheers

Gumby

• Haha 3

As we age wife and I have noticed that our comfort range has narrowed; cold temps and hot temps that didn't bother us at all now cause us great discomfort, and sometimes distress.  But even when younger there were times!

Back in 1977 I was friends with a girl from my grad school program.  She was driving a beast of 1967 Buick.  The car was becoming a problem so she started pestering her father for a replacement.  Tired of the repair bills (after all we're talking a inpecunious grad student here) he agreed.  Come back home and I'll buy you a newer one.  I was uncomfortable about her driving 1200 miles in a cantankerous car alone. Besides, I had time on my hands, and was curious to visit Minnesota.  Also, my girlfriend was attending an army school in San Antonio, Texas, so I planned on visiting her there, too. 

We left on July 5th.  It got HOT.  As we drove west, it got HOTTER.  Cars and trucks broke down.  We had a water pump failure in Cleveland, which added a day to the trip.  Day two we got to Gary, Indiana.  Temp in excess of 100F.  I 80 bogs down.  Her car is overheating.  So was everyone else's.  AC craps out. There to the left!  Is it a mirage? Or was it really  Holiday Inn restaurant?  Slowly we inched to the exit, and pulled into the lot.  The restaurant was empty. We were promptly seated, ordered lunch, and asked for water.  We quickly downed that glass, and asked for more.  The third time she plopped a pitcher of ice water on the table.  Another party came in, and the same thing happened.  They asked for water, and after the first glass, A pitcher arrived.  Quickly thereafter the place filled up, and each arriving party was greeted with a pitcher of ice water.

Eventually we made it to St Cloud, Minnesota.  Her dad bought her a car.  I visited my girlfriend in San Antonio.  We drove the "new" car back to New York, though not without some adventures.  It was still hot!

End of the story.  That proved the end if the road for the girlfriend.  

My grad school friend and I have been married for 46 years.

Ken

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

As we age wife and I have noticed that our comfort range has narrowed; cold temps and hot temps that didn't bother us at all now cause us great discomfort, and sometimes distress.  But even when younger there were times!

Back in 1977 I was friends with a girl from my grad school program.  She was driving a beast of 1967 Buick.  The car was becoming a problem so she started pestering her father for a replacement.  Tired of the repair bills (after all we're talking a inpecunious grad student here) he agreed.  Come back home and I'll buy you a newer one.  I was uncomfortable about her driving 1200 miles in a cantankerous car alone. Besides, I had time on my hands, and was curious to visit Minnesota.  Also, my girlfriend was attending an army school in San Antonio, Texas, so I planned on visiting her there, too. 

We left on July 5th.  It got HOT.  As we drove west, it got HOTTER.  Cars and trucks broke down.  We had a water pump failure in Cleveland, which added a day to the trip.  Day two we got to Gary, Indiana.  Temp in excess of 100F.  I 80 bogs down.  Her car is overheating.  So was everyone else's.  AC craps out. There to the left!  Is it a mirage? Or was it really  Holiday Inn restaurant?  Slowly we inched to the exit, and pulled into the lot.  The restaurant was empty. We were promptly seated, ordered lunch, and asked for water.  We quickly downed that glass, and asked for more.  The third time she plopped a pitcher of ice water on the table.  Another party came in, and the same thing happened.  They asked for water, and after the first glass, A pitcher arrived.  Quickly thereafter the place filled up, and each arriving party was greeted with a pitcher of ice water.

Eventually we made it to St Cloud, Minnesota.  Her dad bought her a car.  I visited my girlfriend in San Antonio.  We drove the "new" car back to New York, though not without some adventures.  It was still hot!

End of the story.  That proved the end if the road for the girlfriend.  

My grad school friend and I have been married for 46 years.

Ken

Great story Ken, one to remember.:)

cheers

Gumby

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

we seem to have had rain most days since December, now we are getting 2 days of 26-28 then a day of rain or cloud...we still moans it's hot though....I always liked seasons, you know first days of spring and all that, sadly now we don't get that at all...keep cool Rodger....and you lot in the southern hemisphere keep warm... 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, wain71 said:

we seem to have had rain most days since December, now we are getting 2 days of 26-28 then a day of rain or cloud...we still moans it's hot though....I always liked seasons, you know first days of spring and all that, sadly now we don't get that at all...keep cool Rodger....and you lot in the southern hemisphere keep warm... 

Wayne, I think we have something in common. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest where grey skies and rain are the norm. The stereotype is that England is the same. I think I saw the sun maybe four times before I was twenty. How about you? 😄

• Haha 4

Not just talking about the temperature, it was the humidity bringing me down last weekend - a phenomenon that I do not remember from years ago. You step out at, say, just 28°C and the humid hammer hits instantly...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Wayne, I think we have something in common. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest where grey skies and rain are the norm. The stereotype is that England is the same. I think I saw the sun maybe four times before I was twenty. How about you? 😄

growing up I remember 76 was hot by our standards but honestly I remember a lot of wet or grey days and very cold winters, also we only had thunderstorms after a long period of heat, now we seem to get them anytime of the year even when it's not warm at all....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2