Another reason for dropping W11??

John Heaton

9 minutes ago, pilot100 said:

Article says Win 10 has the issue too. So I wouldn't hurry moving back to W10.

quotes from article

""Microsoft is now apparently turning on VBS post-updates, at least in some cases (and this could be true for Windows 10 systems as well as Windows 11)"".

--- the only time I could see W10 mentioned

""There were some games that fared worse, as you might imagine. Tom’s Hardware highlights -  Microsoft Flight Simulator - which experienced average frame rate drops of around 10%. Far Cry 6 and Control also exhibited 10% or so drops (at 1080p resolution with certain graphics settings, anyway). Other games were much less affected, or saw no difference at all in some cases.

It was this Para that prompted my reason for placing the article --- read it as you wish;)

• Like 1

3rd Para down 

Walton further observes that Tom’s Editor-in-Chief, Avram Piltch, runs Windows 10 Home and hadn’t touched VBS since clean installing the OS last summer – but VBS was switched on with that system, too. Again, we can guess this happened via an update at some point (though note, we don’t know this for sure).

14 minutes ago, pilot100 said:

3rd Para down 

Walton further observes that Tom’s Editor-in-Chief, Avram Piltch, runs Windows 10 Home and hadn’t touched VBS since clean installing the OS last summer – but VBS was switched on with that system, too. Again, we can guess this happened via an update at some point (though note, we don’t know this for sure).

just for curiosity - since I built a new PC 4 months ago and installed W10 Home - just checked and VBS not installed:smile: - and there have

been around 4 updates in that time - last one 2 weeks ago

I get with 1080 - average 50 fps - ultra - i7 - 3060 - 48 ram

Edited by John Heaton

Hello,

"VBS" appears to be system specific and if you want to see a new catalogue of unpronounceable acronyms,
just take a look at this article: Virtualization-based Security (VBS) | Microsoft Learn

Out of interest, I disabled it, rebooted the PC and found an extra 3fps in Microsoft Flight Simulator.
As this was an increase from 31 fps to 34 fps for the identical scenario, around the promised 10%, I was not able to get excited.
I have ordinary eyes, that without a frame rate counter, cannot tell the difference. :)

It certainly seems to be a "thing" but whether it would be enough to prompt a move away from Windows 11,
or even Windows 10, if you have it, is another matter.
The internet is very good at creating storms in teacups.
In this case, it seems that Microsoft are in fact acting in the Windows users' best interests and not, as some
of the articles seem to be tacitly suggesting, conspiring to ruin a gamer's experience.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Yep, thats interesting. Everyone has their view on W10 / W11. For myself I'm non partisan on that issue. They are just slightly different OS doing the same thing (for my purposes at least). The VBS issue is interesting because in some cases they are turning it back on (W11) but maybe they figure that W10 is not their focus now so they are not so bothered (and hey if people run into trouble because it was turned off in W10 thats a bonus for them in promoting W11, buts that me being cynical). 

Eitherway it would not put me off going W11 on a new PC. Personally I think MS have made a barrier with W11 based on processors and TPM etc that is the main reason people are staying with W10. 

read a lot of these types of articles lately, in all honesty I have no issues with W11 and any of my sim/games, I only really check the frames if something looks heavy, prefer to worry about the smoothness.....as I also use this PC for running our family cleaning business I prefer to keep well protected so I'll leave it on, more concerned with if the overcast conditions are going to give me a stuttering mess if I'm honest...

I cannot find any setting about VBS in my system.
Is this dependent upon a certain version of Windows 10/11 or the presence of a certain chip like for instance the TPM ability?

My computer is from 2017 with a 8700K and an Asus 370 if I'm not mistaken.

All I had to do was click on the Windows search icon (maginifying glass) at bottom left side of toolbar, type in "System Information" without the quotes and hit "enter".  The resulting system information list that comes up has many items listed on the right side.   I found the Virtualization-based Security line about 40 or 50 lines down.  Mine was disabled.

On 3/21/2023 at 12:39 PM, Nick Cooper said:

There are hardware requirements, that are most likely not fulfilled.

Thank you Nick.

I followed the link and noticed the requirements like for instance TPM which I do not have.

• Thanks 1