Orbs Selection is Horrible

smokey43

I have tons of Orbx Scenery and am very pleased with all of them, I am disappointed in this ORBS thing. Currently there are only 3 items for MSFS. Hopefully the selection gets better and tilted more to the current simulators. Time will tell, bur currently I am not pleased.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 5

Pretty easy to see why, they don't want to give away the "good products" for free.

It's probably wise to be thankful that they're offering any products at all for free, rather than wish that they gave you better products for free.  

• Upvote 2

I just don't understand how they think having a miserable THREE options for MSFS is in any way acceptable when they're so heavily promoting this Orbs thing. You see ads for it all over MSFS and flight sim related websites and when you check it out, there's one cheap option most people already have and two priced so unreasonably high, very few could purchase them anyway in a realistic timeframe (500 orbs is a lot if you're starting fresh, even with Volanta). I'm not one to complain about 'free' rewards but this months selection for MSFS really is a joke. Either put more, better MSFS scenery on or scrap the whole thing and make it a straight monetary discount on purchases like Just Flight and other stores do.

Edited by FloofyPuffs
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Have to agree. As it stands, Orbs is a good idea, terribly executed.
Orbx can make MSFS products require more Orbs to purchase, offsetting 'the cost of giving away' newer MSFS products. (It's not 'giving away' if you retain my loyalty for future purchases).

The current system has no appeal whatsoever and Central has been copied rather well by other stores/developers. I might as well use other stores who give greater value to my custom.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

agree with most of the above, Orbx been pushing this on so many sites / shops I visit and just looked at all my sims and what's available, waste of time, just give us the good old discount for being loyal otherwise this window dressing is pointless...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

I am also disappointed. I fly only MSFS now and buy MSFS products, which give me orbs, but I can almost only use them for... P3D and XP products. :wacko:
Plus, it says 'The Orbs Store updates weekly.' Has this update idea been withdrawn? I haven't seen any changes for weeks.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rafal said:

I am also disappointed. I fly only MSFS now and buy MSFS products, which give me orbs, but I can almost only use them for... P3D and XP products. :wacko:
Plus, it says 'The Orbs Store updates weekly.' Has this update idea been withdrawn? I haven't seen any changes for weeks.

There has been an update about a couple of weeks ago by reducing the Orbs offering for MSFS to only 3 products.:(

You made a good point. It is odd to be able to earn lots of Orbs by buying MSFS products, but not being able to spend them on (many) MSFS products.

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 4

There has been one additional MFSF option added to the orbs store in the last day or so, but it is the Fairways Airport that has been freely available forever ... but if you don't have it, you can pick it up for 30 Orbs :) ?? 

• Haha 3

Caleb1 just doesn't seem to get it! If your going to advertise this Orbs thing like they do then have a fair selection. 3 for MSFS is a Joke! The advertising seems to be more of a money grab. If there is not going to be a fair selection then just don't do it. Bvdboomen obviously is a long time Orbx supporter who also notice the Fairways was free now it's part of Orbs. This is only another reason to call out Orbx for this. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Count me in as one who is disappointed by a "reward system" that doesn't really reward you with anything. It went from very light to practically non-existent. I wasn't really clamoring for a reward system to begin with, but to pretend to have one and not offer anything leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/15/2023 at 6:46 PM, boetie said:

The screenshot competition prize is now Orbs. Is it a coincidence there are less entries into the comp?

I enter the comps mainly for fun - but, as I'm retired (and on a pension), I'm always very grateful for the bonus of a payware product that I couldn't afford.

I too was disappointed by the limited range of MSFS products available with Orbs. It wouldn't surprise me if the low comp turnout was because of the reduced incentive of Orbs prizes.

The screencomps can be a really good showcase for Orbx products and, after all, these prizes aren't physical boxes that need to be stocked/delivered - so Orbx shouldn't really be losing that much revenue (if any).

For example - if I win a prize and choose a product that I maybe wouldn't have actually bought, then Orbx haven't lost any revenue from me - but what they *do* get is a series of "thank you" posts that showcase the product. If the showcase screenshots are by people that win comps, then you'd expect their quality to be above average - so making great publicity for Orbx.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, craigeaglefire said:

Well, as a longtime customer,

I’m simply $purchasing elsewhere so often now,

the Orbs offer nothing of value…

Me too. Used to be an Orbx-only guy, but it's not the same now, and I spend more with other devs than I do with Orbx these days. They used to be the best, but not any more.

Orbs is a nice idea badly implemented. For example, I hate to think how much you'd have to spend to get enough Orbs for the baseball cap. Thinking that anyone is going to spend loads of money on products just to get a free baseball cap is laughable! Especially as the caps are billed as being a limited supply so you can't build up a stock of Orbs over time and get one.

• Like 3