November 11 - a date to remember !

John Heaton

Whilst I too am looking forward to the new MSFS 40th anniversary update, for me 11th November is a day I remember those that failed to beat the clock and are no longer with us, especially remembering some of the brave lads I served with in the 80s that didn't get back home, and those that have struggled with what they may have saw or did,or injuries they received and couldn't cope with life, makes me very sad...a day to think and remember...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I never had any grandparents in the Military, my mums dad was deaf so wasn't called up, I did have an uncle in Korea, they said he had changed when he came home, my Regiment was there at the Battle of Imjin River, when I told my family what he had been through they were shocked but understood how and why he had changed, my dad died a few years back, just before covid, the Vicar asked if he was proud that I had served, I told her I didn't know as he never said, my mum said he was very proud but I had changed when I came home so they didn't want to talk about it, I wish they had.....I have spoken with many old soldiers, from Chelsea Pensioners to just old guys at Remembrance parades, all very proud and some with some very harrowing tales to tell but most like myself keep it locked away so not to put what you saw or did get into your loved one's heads......sorry I am rambling a bit, I guess what I am saying is look after the old guys, if they're quiet and thoughtful at the moment they may have good reason to be...

Wayne

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, wain71 said:

I never had any grandparents in the Military, my mums dad was deaf so wasn't called up, I did have an uncle in Korea, they said he had changed when he came home, my Regiment was there at the Battle of Imjin River, when I told my family what he had been through they were shocked but understood how and why he had changed, my dad died a few years back, just before covid, the Vicar asked if he was proud that I had served, I told her I didn't know as he never said, my mum said he was very proud but I had changed when I came home so they didn't want to talk about it, I wish they had.....I have spoken with many old soldiers, from Chelsea Pensioners to just old guys at Remembrance parades, all very proud and some with some very harrowing tales to tell but most like myself keep it locked away so not to put what you saw or did get into your loved one's heads......sorry I am rambling a bit, I guess what I am saying is look after the old guys, if they're quiet and thoughtful at the moment they may have good reason to be...

Wayne

I couldn't agree more - Wayne 

MY Dad flew in Halifax bombers from '43 to end of '44 - dropping supplies to Partisans in Yugoslavia and Northern Italy - and i didnt know

this until I researched him after he died because he didn't want talk about it- As a pilot myself I just couldn't imagine flying in a Halifax at 500 ft

in the mountain terrains

My wife's dad who lived with us for the last 30years of his life - never spoke  - but once  - about his escape  - from Singapore on the last ship - then

escaped from Java - only to be there at the fall of Burma - and he got out of that. He was an armorer in the RAF

• Upvote 2

An uncle of mine joined the RCAF after the USAAF turned him down on medical grounds and flew Hurricanes in the Battle of Britain.  He returned to the U.S. after we got into the war and much to his annoyance, they made him an instructor. He transferred to gliders and flew one in on D-Day.  Ended the war in P47s.

My father went into Normandy on D+1.  He was invalided back to the U.S. after a couple of months due to sickness. 

• Upvote 2

I had three great uncles that all served in the Pacific theater during WWII, in the U.S. Army. Two of them, the younger two, survived the war and made it home. Of those two, the youngest one stayed in the U.S. Army and made it a career. When I joined the U.S. Army and started my career, he spent lots of time talking to me over several years comparing our experiences. He also gave me lots of leadership information that helped me in my 28 years of service in the U.S. Army. 

The oldest of the three, Raymond, did not return from the war. He was captured in the Phillipines when the Imperial Japanese Army invaded, and subsequently was killed in action during the Bataan Death March. During the last part of my Army career, I was stationed in Hawaii and working for a joint command that was responsible for recovering American POW and MIA remains scattered around the globe from past wars. That command has a very deep database on all the missing U.S. Servicemembers to include ones whose remains have since been recovered. My great uncle Raymond's story was in their database and I was able to research all of his remains' recovery from there, covering how his remains were found and how and when they were returned to his family in the 70's, when I as just a little boy. 

Edited by Sniper31
  • Upvote 2

Hi Sniper, we too have a Defence Force unit whose job it is to identify remains of servicemen and women and they we are also still recovering bodies from all theatres both WW1 and WW2; this is where family DNA has proven to be invaluable. With a DNA data Base whenever remains are located most times they can be identified. Science is a wonderful thing bringing closure to many families.

Edited by Bassman
  • Like 2

On 11/16/2022 at 4:22 AM, Bassman said:

Hi Sniper, we too have a Defence Force unit whose job it is to identify remains of servicemen and women and they we are also still recovering bodies from all theatres both WW1 and WW2; this is where family DNA has proven to be invaluable. With a DNA data Base whenever remains are located most times they can be identified. Science is a wonderful thing bringing closure to many families.

Good to see this is happening  :)