Above Kiel, Northern Germany

bernd1151

Kiel lies approximately 90 km (56 mi) north of Hamburg. Due to its location on the southwestern shore of the Baltic Sea, Kiel has become one of Germany's major maritime centers, known for a variety of international sailing events. It has also been one of the traditional homes of the German Navy's Baltic fleet.

The more I fly the Fokker, the more I like the old lady. It’s ideal for exploring a region low and slow.

Fokker-1.jpg

Fokker-3.jpg

Fokker-4.jpg

Fokker-5.jpg

Fokker-6.jpg

Fokker-7.jpg

Getting close to the Laboe Naval Memorial, which was built in the late 1920s, early 1930s, originally as a memorial for the dead of WWI of the German navy. In 1954 it was rededicated as a memorial for the sailors of all nationalities who were lost at sea and at the same time a memorial for peaceful sailing in open seas. In front of it sits a WWII-era German submarine. U-995 is the world's only remaining Type VII U-boat.

Fokker-9.jpg

Fokker-10.jpg

Edited by bernd1151
  • Like 6

18 hours ago, wain71 said:

some nice shots there Bernd...

Many thanks, Wayne

18 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Beautifully colored images Bernd, and I enjoy the historical narrative as well. Great stuff! :)

Landon

Thank you so much, Landon

18 hours ago, BradB said:

Germany looks great in MSFS IMHO . :):D

Thanks, John. That's my impression too

18 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Great shots and short parts of history, Bernd. Among much other things one should remember the Olympic Games 1972…!

Thanks a lot, Gerold. The olympics for sure, but then also the annual Kiel week, if we want to go into more details. If I'm not mistaken this sailing event is the largest one in Europe

3 hours ago, John Mac said:

Great shots and information Bernd. Loved it!

John.

I'm glad you like them, John

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1