newcomer to Orbx , what do I start out with for updating north America's airports?

ke7zum

I'm a new comer to Orbx. I have several friend who have bought and who love your products I want to slowly get north America updated as I tend to fly there most often. I have the vector and global bundle in my cart, (this is the 4 item bundle that seems to be recommended to start my journey with you guys.) so after all of that, what do I need to get all airports and runways and gates updated all at once in north America only? the product page is a bit confusing. I have the following in my cart. My friend said that I only need these 4 to update my airports' runways, gates, etc? Somehow I don't think so. I am on a tight budget right now so I want to start out with something.

Global Buildings HD
Global VECTOR
Global BASE Pack
Global TerraFlora v2 

thanks.

• Like 1

Hi

I start from the point that you do want and have P3D and want to invest hundreds of dollars in this platform to make it look great

Nothing better than Orbx to do so

The Global Base pack is indeed mandaroty as it improves the look of the terrain worldwide

The Global vector fixes coast lines lakes and stuff like that, it enhances the countours

Global Buildings as it states improves the autogen with better looking buildings and more accurate to each area of the world

The terraflora improves the look of trees in each season worldwide

All those are base products to make P3D look shiny as a penny

No Orbx product "updates" runways or gates. They create selected, exclusive airports as per their catalog. Their airports try to fit the most of the realism, and try to be as accurate as possible. All extremely detailed, with thier runways, gates (if needed) etc etc. But this is for all tailor made ones, the rest in the world will remain as default.

They also create land classes products and regions. North America land class for example. The idea is to improve in the region the textures, to make them look more accurate to the area. The landclasses improve the look of the terrain for that specific zone

Then there are regions such a Northen California, Rocky Mountains etc. These try to improve even more the location, with textures more accurate and more detailed

Finally you'll find some True Earth products, these are photographic ground textures, they intent to simulate the most the real terrain.

Whenever you want to buy a product ensure to read the requirements as some have dependencies, let's say PAJN it requieres that you have installed Southern Alaska region to be displayed correctly

True Earth products are very computer resources demanding so read all specifications if you come for these some day

I hope this is clear for you

Best regards

Carlos

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Welcome to Orbx, ke7zum. It's great way to see the world. Global Base and Global Vector make a huge difference in scenery quality and are the best place to start. Global trees and buildings are nice to have, but the regional packages (Pacific Northwest, etc) give more bang for the buck. True Earth is an acquired taste--very accurate but also a bit painted looking. If you stay with Base and Vector and add the regionals as you can afford, you'll be happy. And be sure to use the Forum. Everyone here will be happy to help you get set up and get the most out of your Orbx scenery. 

• Like 3

I'll take a look at the video. My friend said that when he installed the global stuff then ran make runways it added about another 25 thousand  or so. I think this for north America alone. What did he install to do this? I know he didn't buy each airport, that would have been expensive.

I'm a streamer so I'm sure my sim will look even better. I don't plan to install any of the earth things that require high CPU, or at least not yet. I need to be careful as my pc is a bit on the old side. *smiles*

thanks.

• Like 1

Ok, so I'll, I guess, get the 4 and install as needed, then just go from there. I shoudl add I'm also a blidn flight simmer, so graphics and stuff don't really matter to me, however I don't want my viewers to see bland and blah. Should I just install a bit at a time and see what my system can handle?

Thanks a bunch for being helpful. I think this is the most helpful community I've been to so far in the sim world.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ke7zum said:

I'll take a look at the video. My friend said that when he installed the global stuff then ran make runways it added about another 25 thousand  or so. I think this for north America alone. What did he install to do this? I know he didn't buy each airport, that would have been expensive.

I'm a streamer so I'm sure my sim will look even better. I don't plan to install any of the earth things that require high CPU, or at least not yet. I need to be careful as my pc is a bit on the old side. *smiles*

thanks.

I assume you are using P3D , anyway tons of airports in this freeware pack : https://orbxdirect.com/product/ftx-global-airport-pack

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'll take a look. Maybe that's what he installed? he wasn't specific, "you'll find it," is what he said;  Ok? Right? lol! He loves the Orbx products as well and spent about 170 USD on the 4 plus I think one more, but that was about maybe April or so this year.

Again thanks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ke7zum said:

I'm a new comer to Orbx. I have several friend who have bought and who love your products I want to slowly get north America updated as I tend to fly there most often. I have the vector and global bundle in my cart, (this is the 4 item bundle that seems to be recommended to start my journey with you guys.) so after all of that, what do I need to get all airports and runways and gates updated all at once in north America only? the product page is a bit confusing. I have the following in my cart. My friend said that I only need these 4 to update my airports' runways, gates, etc? Somehow I don't think so. I am on a tight budget right now so I want to start out with something.

Global Buildings HD
Global VECTOR
Global BASE Pack
Global TerraFlora v2 

thanks.

I suggest you empty your cart and start again with a single Orbx region. Which one depends on where you most want to fly, but take the Pacific Northwest as an example. This will do the same as the Global Base and Vector products, but better - though only for that region. It will also upgrade all the airports in the region to better than default. I think this generally means correcting runway orientations, elevations and blending into the landscape, plus adding some generic furniture such as buildings and parked traffic where the default doesn't have any.

Global Buildings will overlay better generic building textures on autogen buildings. I presume terraFlora does the same for vegetation, though I have the Trees HD product instead.

It helps to know that the Global Base and Vector products are derived from the specific region products. In other words, they don't add anything to the regions, but they 'borrow' bits from all the Orbx regions and use them in a generic way to make the rest of the world look better than default.

Edited by MarkH
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

No doubt he referred to the Global Airport pack. It will cover most of the airports outside the FTX full regions.

Yes, this is true.  But they are not updated with the level of detail that the individual payware airports are.

In my opinion it depends exactly what you want to do:

If you want to get very high detail of a smaller area, then I would suggest a region and a few payware airports. (Orbx does have some free individual ones that are similar quality to the payware found on the freeware page of the website).

Or if you want to improve a very large area with a less detailed (but still good) improvement then FTX global would probably be good.  In my opinion if you are just looking to make a visual improvement then Vector is not neccicary, as others have said it just alters roads and shorelines to make them more accurate, but unless you are trying to compare something to the real world its not that important.

Edited by caleb1
  • Like 1

cool cool! Thanks all. Yeah I did buy all in my cart, and I'm trying the north America west  region , as I kind of wanted my stuff to look  good and not flat and bland. I might find the global airport pack, but not right now as I really only fly in the S although right now I'm flying all over the world to complete this tour. As I stream and record I do want my things to  look better than default, and the good thing is when I upgrade to prepar5 or when I switch computers in about a year it will be easy to restore my stuff.

thanks all and happy holidays. You now have a new customer.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2021 at 3:43 PM, BradB said:

I assume you are using P3D , anyway tons of airports in this freeware pack : https://orbxdirect.com/product/ftx-global-airport-pack

Welcome to the forums, hope you find all you seek ke7zum.   Brad is right about the global airports adding a lot.  Also, each region scenery (ex Pacific Northwest, N. California, etc) has all the airports enhanced.  They are not payware quality detail but each one has had any issues corrected and buildings were added according to their actual location to make them easy to recognize.   For me the biggest thing would be to buy a region you want to explore and then also the trees and buildings enhancements.  If you want to branch out to other parts of the world at the same time then the ones you bought are perfect.  (Global, Vector)