Some fun stuff with the Starfighter

bernd1151

When I served in the Luftwaffe, I was fortunate to have been invited twice to fly in one of our 30 training F104G (which had a twin cockpit) from Decimomannu, Sardinia to Fürstenfeldbruck, Bavaria. Prior to that I had undergone a rigit training, which gave me the Jet Passenger Card. Without that card, such endeavour would not have been allowed. The F 104 was powered by a single General Electric J79-GE-11A engine capable of generating in excess of 17,000 lbs of thrust and exceeding Mach 2. In non-pilot terms, that's roughly equivalent to 36,000 hp. A typical training flight will expose you to a force or 5Gs or greater, a pull toward earth equal to five or more times your bodyweight. The Starfighter, introduced in 1958, can out-perform many current frontline fighters, including the F/A-18.

This plane here is the fantastic SSW trainer F 104, which is available here at the Orbx store.

We take off from Miramar Fightertown and fly to Edwards AFB, famous test center of the USAF. With the afterburners just slightly engaged, even with full brakes applied, you cannot stop the plane from going forward

F-104-G-2.jpg

But of course we are here to apply full afterburners. The brutal force that pushes you into your Martin Baker seat needs to be experienced, you just cannot describe it. And when you switch off the afterburner at level flight, you will be pushed forward so hard as if somebody had applied full brakes

F-104-G-3.jpg

Having a look around near Carlsbad, north of San Diego at 7000 ft

F-104-G-8.jpg

Let’s bring her up to 40,000 ft. Do this kind of flying for more than 14 minutes and you’d run out of fuel. Btw, with afterburners engaged it usually takes you around 1 minute and 30 seconds to reach 30,000 ft

F-104-G-13.jpg

F-104-G-14.jpg

At 61.000 ft, which is the plane’s service ceiling. That contrail below the plane’s nose is a commercial airliner, probably flying at half our height

F-104-G-16.jpg

I cheat now a little bit and, by using keys “Y” and “F4”, bring her first up to 77,000 ft

F-104-G-18.jpg

F-104-G-19.jpg

The same location, this time with the clouds removed

F-104-G-20.jpg

And now at almost 80,000 ft

F-104-G-22.jpg

Looks like outer space

F-104-G-23.jpg

F-104-G-24.jpg

Ok, back to reality, we are close to Edwards

F-104-G-27.jpg

F-104-G-26.jpg

Now the fun part starts: landing. You enjoy flying in the Starfighter tremendously, at least at altitude. But when it comes to landing, the problems come and they concentrate on the compromise of getting this bird as slowly as possible, but above 170 knots, onto the runway

F-104-G-35.jpg

F-104-G-36.jpg

F-104-G-38.jpg

If you go below 170 knots, this glorious aircraft will become vicious. The widowmaker does not forgive you the mistake of crossing boundaries

F-104-G-37.jpg

Luckily today all went well, I was even a bit too fast :)

F-104-G-39.jpg

And what is your business here?

F-104-G-40.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Great shots and post, you certainly took that F104 to its limit and more.

Thanks a lot John

13 hours ago, BradB said:

Obviously Bernd , you have the "Right Stuff" ..........:)

Cheers

John

Thank you very much, John. I think I need to watch that movie again. Has been years...

2 hours ago, John Mac said:

Outstanding Bernd, great shots and commentary!

John.

Many thanks for commenting, John

1 hour ago, Iain Emms said:

Great post.

cheers

Iain

Thank you very much

• Like 1

A fantastic post & flight with the widowmaker, Bernd. Thanks a lot!

22 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

When I served in the Luftwaffe, I was fortunate to have been invited twice to fly in one of our 30 training F104G

What a great occasion! You lucky guy...

• Like 1