Sandane - The Runway is Not Flat!

TigerTigerM

Elsewhere there was a complaint that Orbx Sandane had a flat runway.

Of course I had to have a look myself & can report it is indeed not flat.

The whole airport is nicely put together, located in some spectacular scenery, & throws in a white knuckle approach in a cross winds.

Well done Andreas.

It is also an interesting one for capturing shots as the sun doesn't shine directly on to the airport for much of the day, it being tucked up near some fascinating rock formations.

A selection of shots at different times of the day as I set off for ENAL, from Sandane.

TTM (MSFS)

Not flat - You can pick up the undulations by following the white line on either side of the runway

e-1.jpg

Sand & rock, in shadow.

e-2.jpg

Managed to get some light in here. More rock.

e-3.jpg

Did I mention I love rock walls? & this is back lit, so it is very creative in its structure, execution & toning's.

e-4.jpg

& the prize for the bravest man in Norway goes to the gentleman in the Hawaiian shirt!

e-5.jpg

Hideaways below one end of the runway.

e-6.jpg

Kingair departing at dusk

e-7.jpg

Heading along the cliff face. Sandane is out of view, to the left.

e-8.jpg

Just stunning Norwegian scenery, not far from Sandane.

e-9.jpg

• Like 4

And the flat runway myth is solved! :D Great expose on this conspiracy theory TTM ;):DB) In other news, this is very well executed and nice set of shots showing off the great terrain and views of this scenery. Well done!

Cheers!

Landon

The flat runway issue is just an inconsistency of the MSFS scenery with the real world.  In the real world the runway is higher in the middle.  In MSFS the mesh puts the middle of the runway a bit lower than the ends.  Without extensive terraforming that would probably introduce many more issues, airports have to either be on a flatten, or follow the mesh in the sim, as far as I know.  It's certainly not enough of an issue to make landings unrealistic, which would be the case somewhere like Courchevel.  It's a fantastic piece of scenery and should always be appreciated as such!

Very nice captures Tiger! Thanks for sharing!

To terraforming: the scenery contains over a dozen  of flatten polys already. It has to be applied very carefully. If you interfere with the default mesh too much you create more problems than you can solve. So I tried to find a good compromise between reality and the sim as we have it by ASOBO. Personally I love the slopes on runways and a bit bumpy ride with the smaller aircrafts. It gives a much realistic feel to it.

So enjoy!

6 hours ago, Andreas Hegi said:

Very nice captures Tiger! Thanks for sharing!

To terraforming: the scenery contains over a dozen  of flatten polys already. It has to be applied very carefully. If you interfere with the default mesh too much you create more problems than you can solve. So I tried to find a good compromise between reality and the sim as we have it by ASOBO. Personally I love the slopes on runways and a bit bumpy ride with the smaller aircrafts. It gives a much realistic feel to it.

So enjoy!

I think the protagonists on fselite.net are about to descend on Sandane with their theodolites.

Nit picking in extremis.

You compromise is fine, Andreas.:)

TTM

• 2 weeks later...

Nice screenshots from ENSD. The airport is beautifully done. And I would like to buy this version, but there is one thing that holds me back and that is that the runway profile is completely wrong (opposite of the real one). The real runway has a distinct uphill profile towards the center, not a dump. Otherwise, the buildings and the surrounding area are beautifully rendered, and with a future fix I will buy this version as well.

Skjermbilde 2021-11-05 100940.png

Skjermbilde 2021-11-05 101306.png

Skjermbilde 2021-11-05 101357.png

• Like 1