P3d 5.2 update

wain71

8 hours ago, Bullfox said:

You can reduce the load time a bit by putting the level of detail radius to medium or less.  My rule of thumb is don't make the system do anything you can't see.  So if you can't really see any detail don't make the system try to display it.  I usually cannot see any details way out there.  In may case that's because I am near sighted I am not used to clearly seeing things in the far distance so it actually looks less real to me on the screen if far off details are too sharp.

Running right now near Punta Gorda Florida (TrueEarth) and you're right!  I see no difference in and around my plane, with Level of Detail slider set to Medium off of Ultra.  So...good tip!  Have it now 'set in stone' at Medium!  Thanks for posting that!  Cheers!  Back to my flight...and from what I see now (first P3D v5.2 over my Florida TrueEarth...I think that I am going to pound the 'buy key for the other TrueEarth on the 40 percent off sale today....will make my decision as I fly over the State of Florida TrueEarth.  So far...crystal clear, and seeing art objects that were hidden by blur in P3D v5.1 and down...P3D versions 4, 3, 2, RTM...blah, blah.

POST EDIT: "Bull, I have been playing around with going from L.O.D. Medium, one up to High.  I suggest you try that...as there is a valid difference to the horizon line. With HIGH, you get all the detail, crisp to the horizon, depending on the haze of A.S.   So, my final will be HIGH.  Back to the flight over mid Florida TrueEarth.   What a hoot! :)"

Edited by Orbx Flyer

1 hour ago, David Woodford said:

i’m gonna need a bigger nvme hard drive ;)

The 40 percent sale covers what I am peeking at! LOL!

I just thank goodness, that I have a multi-Terabit drive where P3D v5.2 is resident on. Plenty of room to roam...lol.  Have a good flight, Dave...see ya in the 5.2 skies....going to refill my coffee and head on over to Orbx Direct...and buy-lurk abound...wanted to go for a motorcycle ride today, but rain is off and on, with grey skies.  Supposed to be good for Sunday....so...that will be leg over the saddle and head on out....

Post Edit:  "Dave, I'm on Orbx Direct right now...comparing my already owned Regionals to their TrueEarth counterparts...and am deciding to stay with my Regionals,  for the very reason that I have seasonal change, wherefore I would be giving that up by overlaying with TrueEarth.  In Florida, it hardly matters this distinction...no seasonal, other than a change of Winter Grass color to Summer.  

So, am sipping coffee and looking to flesh out my airports of interest."

Edited by Orbx Flyer

Well, I think so much of P3D v5.2, that I just dropped nearly $100.00 on some titles that I have had my eye on...so, getting another cup of coffee, and digging right into them. First off, the City of Charleston, S.C.  We go there all the time! :) Gotta love a 40% off Sale, and FINALLY, a flight sim that can properly 'host' them, clean and clear!  Yeppers... :)

Post Edit: City Scene Charleston does not show up for P3D v5.x  I hope Orbx will be updating this title to also be able to be run in P3D v5.x  sooner than later.

KACK Nantucket Memorial Airport x1

$19.09 AUD

KHAF Half Moon Bay Airport x1

$19.09 AUD

KBID Block Island State Airport x1

$14.72 AUD

KSAN San Diego International Airport x1

$21.81 AUD

CityScene Charleston x1

$16.36 AUD

Subtotal: $91.07 AUD
Total: $91.07 AUD

Edited by Orbx Flyer
  • Like 1

Wow...does CityScene Charleston, S.C. REALLY ROCK!   Orbx...PLEASE do what you need to, to port it over to v5.2 where it will really shine!  Tested it out in P3D v4.x. This is a great title!  Please...port!

Edited by Orbx Flyer
  • Like 1

True Earth and regions on the West Coast are well worth it with one caveat.  The eastern part of Oregon,  Washington and parts of eastern California are very dry and in True Earth look very desert like.  I live in southwestern Oregon.  I can tell you as for eastern Oregon, east of Klamath lake, there is really not much out there. Not much to see but if you like frame rates around 100, its the place to fly.  Also, for some reason in True Earth Medford came out too blue. 

The Medford airport, KMFR, has an interesting ILS approach on runway 14  You come in between two table top mountains and it can get very bumpy.  Also, a bit east of Medford on the approach circuit to runway 32 you fly right pass Roxy Ann, an extinct volcano,  and then do a descending right hand 180 to land at KMFR.  East of Roxy Ann is Agate lake.  Just north of Agate lake there is a tiny airstrip in True Earth.  Its where my rc model airplane club airfield is located.   True Earth Oregon is the only time I have ever seen that air strip displayed in flight simming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

Well, I think so much of P3D v5.2, that I just dropped nearly $100.00 on some titles that I have had my eye on...so, getting another cup of coffee, and digging right into them. First off, the City of Charleston, S.C.  We go there all the time! :) Gotta love a 40% off Sale, and FINALLY, a flight sim that can properly 'host' them, clean and clear!  Yeppers... :)

Post Edit: City Scene Charleston does not show up for P3D v5.x  I hope Orbx will be updating this title to also be able to be run in P3D v5.x  sooner than later.

KACK Nantucket Memorial Airport x1

$19.09 AUD

KHAF Half Moon Bay Airport x1

$19.09 AUD

KBID Block Island State Airport x1

$14.72 AUD

KSAN San Diego International Airport x1

$21.81 AUD

CityScene Charleston x1

$16.36 AUD

Subtotal: $91.07 AUD
Total: $91.07 AUD

I have a lot of TrueEarth - all the Uk of course. And Florida.. and California.. hah. But these days I try and spend the hard cash on actual flying planes rather than spending on sim stuff.. saying that my Orbx Direct is broken and had an open support ticket.. won’t let me physically buy anything.. singly or multiple.. so I have to use website. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bullfox said:

True Earth and regions on the West Coast are well worth it with one caveat.  The eastern part of Oregon,  Washington and parts of eastern California are very dry and in True Earth look very desert like.  I live in southwestern Oregon.  I can tell you as for eastern Oregon, east of Klamath lake, there is really not much out there. Not much to see but if you like frame rates around 100, its the place to fly.  Also, for some reason in True Earth Medford came out too blue. 

The Medford airport, KMFR, has an interesting ILS approach on runway 14  You come in between two table top mountains and it can get very bumpy.  Also, a bit east of Medford on the approach circuit to runway 32 you fly right pass Roxy Ann, an extinct volcano,  and then do a descending right hand 180 to land at KMFR.  East of Roxy Ann is Agate lake.  Just north of Agate lake there is a tiny airstrip in True Earth.  Its where my rc model airplane club airfield is located.   True Earth Oregon is the only time I have ever seen that air strip displayed in flight simming.

Thanks Bull...and I have decided that I still want Fall/Autumn seasons...so will stick with my present Regionals... :) 

I have a lot of TrueEarth - all the Uk of course. And Florida.. and California.. hah. But these days I try and spend the hard cash on actual flying planes rather than spending on sim stuff.. saying that my Orbx Direct is broken and had an open support ticket.. won’t let me physically buy anything.. singly or multiple.. so I have to use website. 

Thanks for the response, Dave. Much appreciated!

15 hours ago, David Woodford said:

i’m gonna need a bigger nvme hard drive ;)

LOL...well, I'm done...lol.  I just picked up KBUR Hollywood/Burbank. So...my v5.2 title portfolio is now complete on what was my purchase 'hold-outs', including those purchased yesterday morning. Orbx...you can thank L.M. for releasing P3D v5.2.  Yep...you can thank them.... Your 40 % sale savings on these titles didn't hurt either to 'encourage' me...LOL!

Orbx...PLEASE,  port over CityScene Charleston to run native in P3D v5.2...please!  It's an awesome work...and would really show its 'stuff' in this version!!!!!

Edited by Orbx Flyer

I had TrueEarth Washington and Oregon installed for P3D4.5 but I hated the purplish roads and other seemingly discoloured textures. I tried to minimize the effect but wasn’t happy, so I removed them but interestingly Florida seemed ok.

Is the purple road discolouration (especially in cities) for TrueEarth still apparent in 5.2? If so, any suggestions how to minimize it.

Putting up with it is not an option :lol:

Thanks,

Roger

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Roger Dodger said:

I had TrueEarth Washington and Oregon installed for P3D4.5 but I hated the purplish roads and other seemingly discoloured textures. I tried to minimize the effect but wasn’t happy, so I removed them but interestingly Florida seemed ok.

Is the purple road discolouration (especially in cities) for TrueEarth still apparent in 5.2? If so, any suggestions how to minimize it.

Putting up with it is not an option :lol:

Thanks,

Roger

Florida has been a good title to own.  It really looks good running inside v5.2!   I think that I will just be quite happy with my Regionals, that cover the entire West Coast from Baha to Alaska...and as I stated,  seasons are in play with Regional Titles.

I really like Orbx's San Diego (it blends in very well with Regional Southern California) and looks stunning with high FPS upon the property, and flying around the square miles near it.  Coming in for approach...is real eye-candy. I couldn't even think of buying this title for v4.5 or v5.1, as the FPS would be crawling, and I would be approaching 'spray paint'....!!!!   Yes...P3D v5.2 was a real 'my system' game changer.

Edited by Orbx Flyer

P3D 5.2 working very well and I have the al True Earth.  One fix in 5.2 with EA off the mountains from John Wayne look normal, not a while cast.   EA on is much better and the scenery on the ground looks better with it on.  I sent LM a suggestion to adjust the haze in the new Live Options in P3D 5.2, maybe they will do that.   ASP3D beta is working pretty well, some flashing issues I have reported.   I fly the Milviz King Air 350 and performance better in 5.2, I have 3 monitors one being 4K.  Not sure if 5.2 fixed it so I have not looked before but airports that were not working in version 5 are such as KRRD.   I agree with one comment, be nice to see Orbx upgrade Landscapes and maybe even add more.  I do use MSFS 2020 but only VFR low flying and other than some of Orbx airports in the USA, that is as far as I will go with it.  P3D is solid.  

• Like 1

TE is the way to go IMHO , I would never go back to Regional scenery . 
Interesting you enjoy CityScape Charleston  , I was very disappointed 

in the product  ; for me the best CityScape is Honolulu . 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have all the TE products, I haven't put them in 5.2 yet, still not 100% sure how much I like them, have them all in XP and love 'em but they seem different in 5.2, I guess it's just the way a different sim looks......I am impressed with the performance so far and it does seem that the vram is sorted as my 1070 seems to be coping nicely.....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BradB said:

TE is the way to go IMHO , I would never go back to Regional scenery . 
Interesting you enjoy CityScape Charleston  , I was very disappointed 

in the product  ; for me the best CityScape is Honolulu . 

Hi John, I don't have Honolulu, but my wife and I head down to Myrtle Beach and Charleston, for some vacation time.  I actually really like it...as it does to my mind represent the topography of the city and surrounding region...especially the estuaries. I' love to see it native for v5.2!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wain71 said:

I have all the TE products, I haven't put them in 5.2 yet, still not 100% sure how much I like them, have them all in XP and love 'em but they seem different in 5.2, I guess it's just the way a different sim looks......I am impressed with the performance so far and it does seem that the vram is sorted as my 1070 seems to be coping nicely.....

TE is killer in XP!  A 'gotta' have. I think it's the way XP handles color pallets. Deeper, 'glossier'....and P3D is more pastel in nature.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 10:34 AM, Orbx Flyer said:

KBUR loaded in at 4.7 GB's as I started to taxi around the airport, snooping....that was the largest VRAM load in, to date. Lot's of stuff happening in them, thar, parts!  ;)

5.7 Gb at Bristol Intl using TrueEarth GB with all the settings at 100%

• Like 1

5.7 Gb at Bristol Intl using TrueEarth GB with all the settings at 100%

So far, KBUR for myself (new purchase) has the highest load in factor for VRAM at 4.7 GB.  That's out of 7.1 (or so) available on my GTX1070 (non Ti).  Most of everywhere, including the busy happenings at KSAN, are about 3.0 to 3.3 GB's, so a lot of stuff is rendering at or near KBUR. Visually, it sure looks that way! I used to live in Van Nuys, so it's fun to fly in the area. BTW, I have never seen A.I. road traffic as much on the clean and clear roads as  since v5.2 especially the L.A. and Valley interstates. It LOOKS, like I'm home...LOLOLOLOLOL.  Trying to get out of the Valley, along I-10 towards Disney Land, ...was real torture, EVEN in the late 60's!

• 3 weeks later...

CityScene Charleston, S.C....now only for P3D v4.x

Only the sound of crickets as to a proper porting over to run in v5.2...and my actual question in the support section for P3D has been unanswered.  Orbx...will this product be ported over for use in P3D v5.2?

O.F.

• Sad 1

On 7/11/2021 at 10:26 AM, Orbx Flyer said:

CityScene Charleston, S.C....now only for P3D v4.x

Only the sound of crickets as to a proper porting over to run in v5.2...and my actual question in the support section for P3D has been unanswered.  Orbx...will this product be ported over for use in P3D v5.2?

O.F.

Still Crickets from anybody from Orbx....   Can I please get a yes or no, regarding a porting over to P3D v5.2 HF1?  It would be appreciated, just to know to expect this, or be done with asking.  Thanks.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 9:17 AM, xuehua china said:

A small number of flying friends think that MFS will be the future of simulated flight, and P3D will become very small. This wrong view is terrible.

"Honestly, before v5.2 and v5.2 HF1 was released...well,  er....I thought so too.  In MSFS, I had no morphing to spray paint of the cloud scenery, and quite frankly, I stopped all usage of my P3D v4.5 and v5.1 because on my system, 5 minutes into a flight...it became (as I like to call it...) scenery spray painted below me. Not Orbx's fault in any way,...and I clearly (if you excuse the pun) see that now...for many flight sims version back...FSX, and all the prior P3D's. On my system, at the level of detail I required to enjoy the virtual experience, it was flying over spray paint.   

v5.2 and v5.2HF1 were a  mind-blowing revelation...and caught me TOTALLY off-guard.  I mean, literally, if it could, my jaw would have dropped to thud down upon the computer desk top.  From the very first running, EVERYTHING stayed crisp, roads fully formed, never to become a grey blur jag...and I'd swear there were pools and BBQ's in the back yards of some of Orbx's scenery asset content.  In fact, I have seen things that I have NEVER seen before (from Orbx) in the PNW region. 

I still can say, that some shots are so breath takingly 'real' to my eyes,  like granite and basalt rock faces, cliffs, ground clutter, trees, that I think (again, only a personal opinion) totally eclipses even MSFS's cloud assets.  I could never imagine myself typing that.  I had always thought that any 'synthetic' art asset for ground terrain, homes, this, that, would always be second place, and 'it is ,..what it is...' in nature.  Now?!?!?!?   Breath taking realism is coming from that very Orbx synthetic world...and again, not to gag anybody, but with such clarity, fully formed at even 140 knots of speed towards the on coming scenery, and I mean...SCENRY...all sliders at 100 percent....that I still can not fathom what L.M DID...between the step jump from v5.1 to v 5.2 (!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???)  and how come, this 'version reveal' was not seen in v5.x ?!?!?!?  

WHAT DID THEY DO, IN THE CODING??????????????

Loving it, even without my 'need to know'...being satisfied.

Right now, (and I fly all of them)--->   P3D, MSFS, XP11,  P3D is my 'go to' sim of personal choice...and that is not dissing the other two. It merely is that P3D v5.2HF is so satisfying my 'hit list' of what I need, and what I want, and the performance given on my present system.  Such a great surprise and 'gift' from L.M.  Final comment....P3D is CERTANLY not dead on my system, and that means that if Orbx still will support it with new and of 'personal interest'  releases, like for instance Canadian/USA East Coast regionals...they indeed will be supported by my purchasing of them. For sure!  Orbx..did you just read that?   My C.C. is ready for the East Coast Regionals from Nova Scotia, right down to the State of Atlanta. I already have T.E. Florida....

Get crackin'.... :) "

Edited by Orbx Flyer
typo
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, P3d 5.2 HF 1 was a surprise for sure.  TE southern Calif runs very smooth, I still have the road traffic set to 0 because there are so many freeways it can slow things down with the moving cars.  I also have the Autogen for the trees set to sparse and that leaves enough trees.  The Lastest Beta with Active Sky ASP3D works very well with EA turned on and the Cloud Art (latest beta) brought that back to life.  Like some of you I do not have any Orbx installed expect TE and airports.  I use Mega Scenery for the rest of the USA.  I do have Land classes for like Europe and S America.  Don't have Africa not sure how good that one is.  Not sure if it will happen but I will purchase any more future TE states from Orbx.  Utah and Colorado would be great.  Just saying 

• Like 3

Thank you 'Orbx Flyer' (and latterly Dean S.) for your justifiable enthusiasm and completely credible experience to explain things in such detail. People like you will support and keep P3D (5.2) THE PLACE TO KEEP GOING TO; AND FOR THE LONG TERM.

You are totally right. P3D 5.2 (hf1) is bloomin' wonderful and exciting. REAL FLYING.

I've just been flying awesomely realistic A2A Cherokee from Shoreham EGKA around Channel Islands (EGJJ, EGJB,EGJA). 

Fabulous!

Like you, Dean and Orbx Flyer, again and again, I am blown away by this ace professional flight simulator (and "populated" by world class Orbx, numero uno!)

Rod

EGBB (and now for a beer to calm down)

• Like 2

Ok, so here's a question which I'm sure will be devisive. I've been out of flight sim for quite some time; I currently have P3D 4.something installed. I'm about to wipe that disk to start again. So have been looking at MSFS, but then seeing the enthusiasm in this conversation seems like P3D 5.2 may have become solid. Whichever sim, I'm likely to have to, over time, replace addons with either updated or new versions, paid or not. Now I don't know what to do!

Most things in P3D 4.5 should work on in P3D 5.2 but there will be  a few upgrades like FSUIPC that are not free.  Most airports from FSDreams, Orbx, and LVRF are free to update. Most hardware like Saitek and other stuff works find for me.  I just updated MSFS with sim update 5 and there are still issues when it comes to flying a plane.   I use that sim just for simple VFR flying with no flight plan because MS did a nice job the scenery.  Once you are like 8000 feet it does not matter anymore.   I have EA on in P3d 5.2 and the scenery in P3D 5.2 HF1 looks better than when it is off.  The TE that Orbx has looks great with EA on in P3D 5.  So I have 2 sims, P3D for real flying and MSFS 2020 for low altitude 3000 feet.  I just purchase Australia V2 frpm Orbx and it is just amazing  Hope that helps 

Edited by Dean Salman

A lot of Stuff from FSX and earlier versions of P3D can be ported over or redownloaded at no costs and that's a real advantage.  HF1 was a big improvement in 5.2  It just looks great.  The only scenery drawback is some of the ground textures at some of the native airports.  Even so, there are a few native airports that look fine as do the Orbx pay ware.  Most of the Orbx  freeware airports are pretty good also.    

I have not tried MS 2020 yet but have looked at some of YouTube videos which I recommend to anyone trying to decide,  keeping in mind that most of the videos are trying to pump up MS 2020.  The main dis I hear on MS 2020 is the flight model is not realistic.  I lot of guys seem to have more than one sim.  That's probably how most serious flight simmers are going to wind up.

Thanks guys, yeah that's my issue - which sim to go for -- or even stick with what I have. It's a conundrum!

I'm also trying to talk wifey into letting me purchase 'proper' heli controls, and a little later on a new PC and VR - and yes, I know for helis MSFS is not there yet and that leaves me P3D for even [gulp], XPlane.

I'm unlikely to go 'multi-sim' simply because I wouldn't have time to fully benefit any of them, let alone the space requirements.

5 hours ago, Bullfox said:

A lot of Stuff from FSX and earlier versions of P3D can be ported over or redownloaded at no costs and that's a real advantage.  HF1 was a big improvement in 5.2  It just looks great.  The only scenery drawback is some of the ground textures at some of the native airports.  Even so, there are a few native airports that look fine as do the Orbx pay ware.  Most of the Orbx  freeware airports are pretty good also.    

I have not tried MS 2020 yet but have looked at some of YouTube videos which I recommend to anyone trying to decide,  keeping in mind that most of the videos are trying to pump up MS 2020.  The main dis I hear on MS 2020 is the flight model is not realistic.  I lot of guys seem to have more than one sim.  That's probably how most serious flight simmers are going to wind up.

yes the flight dynamics havent been great in msfs so far. I’ll reserve judgement on the new update til I’ve used it. 

Flying in and out of Orbx LOWI is a good comparison for both msfs and p3d 5.2 sims and offer very different pros and cons

Hi Jeff,

delighted and just landed Exeter EGTE, and I just wanted to add that I'm getting this excellent P3D5.2 experience without the fuss of 3rd party addons (except Orbx and A2A hangar, of course on both counts).

• I have a joystick for controller (Logitech x52pro hotas)
  • I don't have "Active Sky"; instead use P3D and Orbx weather themes to roughly match what I see out my window
  • I definitely don't need FSUIPC
  • no 3rd party onerous navigation software; instead use the default GNS ( installed with A2A planes)

As Dean says, I have EA turned ON, and many of the settings sliders are high-ish; FPS capped with nVidia to 32; and that's what I got consistently throughout my Alderney to Exeter flight.

Here's to "keepin' it simple"; it works for me!

Rod (EGBB; real-world thunder 'n lightnin' just set car alarm off, must be close)

I have just Orbx and some developers from around the Caribbean.  A2A, Coronado and Albedo for airplanes pus I few I have been able to port over from FSX.  For weather Rex Sky Force.  I just installed Vancouver.  Flying out of Vancouver I was able to get 20 fps with the sliders one notch below ultimate.  Vram did get up to about 5.2

Gotta say, I think I'm leaning 5.2 ... if only due to the fact that I have all those addons for just about everything, although some may need an update. Perhaps I might wait until MSFS matures a bit in flight model, and especially helicopters which is an area I want to pursue next. Great thread, and thanks for all the input.