Gunny sacks full of seafood!

Wakashi

After @olderndirt commented on one of my earlier posts about a whisky run to PAEN, he said that back in the day, he used to haul gunny sacks of seafood out of PAEN in a PA16 (sorry OND, don't have that one) so I used my Piper Pacer to try to replicate it!  He also said that back then the airport let the 'little guys' use the grass between the taxiway and the runway which I thought was pretty darn cool, no way that would happen today except by accident! :rolleyes:  So in tribute to OND's younger years of Flying Alaska, here are a few shots of PAEN, Piper and gunny sacks full of seafood headed to parts unknown!  So here ya go Olderndirt! :D

1  At the loading area on a clear day at Kenai!  This is probably not the way he did it, but I am a bit limited on knowledge of the time and on scenery! :P

y8RYT7J.png

2  Still loading!  Boy, I'll bet smells yummy!  Hope it was frozen! :lol:

R9sYDES.jpg

3  Here we are the grassy area between the pavements ready to go!

YUZiDeO.jpg

4  Waiting for clearance! 

wSBnga7.jpg

5  Come on tower, lemme go already! 

FsbRHs9.jpg

:D  Thanks for looking! :D  And a salute to all of the 'Old Pilots' out there that are still flying through the wonderful world of simulation and Orbx!  

3 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots Roger. But them gunny sacks look suspiciously like they're filled with Jack's fish haggis.:P:D

Exactly what I thought as well. Quite the risky load...

2 hours ago, adambar said:

Fantastic shots Roger. You probably flew the flight by yourself with the window open and a barf bag handy. :D

... and this might be the solution.

Looks familiar - back in those days there weren't all those links connecting the taxiway to the runway so the grass landing area was longer.  Would have taken more than one trip to haul all those sacks.  Took off from McGrath one time with 15 case gas cans full - talk about your aft CG.  Had the trim almost full nose down and didn't change for landing :).       

19 hours ago, BradB said:

Watch out for crossing bears Roger, a Alaska jet hit one landing a few days ago up in SE AK . 
Looks like clams or muscle’s in your brown bags , anyway I enjoyed your post . 

Yeah, heard about that one, bet that was a bit messy! :wacko:   Looks like muscle's to me but not real sure either, Thanks for the comments John! :)

19 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots Roger. But them gunny sacks look suspiciously like they're filled with Jack's fish haggis.:P:D

Don't know for sure Karl, but I think there would be numerous stains showing on the outside of the sacks and fumes if that were the case, and they would not allow it that close to the terminal either! :rolleyes::lol:   Thanks for the comments Karl! 

18 hours ago, adambar said:

Fantastic shots Roger. You probably flew the flight by yourself with the window open and a barf bag handy. :D

Thank you Adam for looking and commenting! :)   To be honest, I just helped load the plane and let OND be the PIC! :DB)

15 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Exactly what I thought as well. Quite the risky load...

... and this might be the solution.

Gerold, please see the comments above  to Karl and Adam for the answer and solution! :D  Thanks for the comment also! :)

3 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Looks familiar - back in those days there weren't all those links connecting the taxiway to the runway so the grass landing area was longer.  Would have taken more than one trip to haul all those sacks.  Took off from McGrath one time with 15 case gas cans full - talk about your aft CG.  Had the trim almost full nose down and didn't change for landing :).       

Thanks you for the comments and the stories OND! 

I kind of thought that might make for a short field take off, but wasn't sure, I would imagine a whole lot has changed at that airport since then!  I also figured there would be a whole line of guys to haul all the seafood out of there!  Wow on the CG trip, like loading a pickup bed full of hay or feed and not being able to steer it very well, certainly adds to the excitement of hauling that load!  Luckily you are still around to tell about it! :D  I knew when I started this post I wasn't gonna get even close to the way it really was but I had to give that old college try anyway, hope you liked it! :)

2 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Thanks you for the comments and the stories OND! 

I kind of thought that might make for a short field take off, but wasn't sure, I would imagine a whole lot has changed at that airport since then!  I also figured there would be a whole line of guys to haul all the seafood out of there!  Wow on the CG trip, like loading a pickup bed full of hay or feed and not being able to steer it very well, certainly adds to the excitement of hauling that load!  Luckily you are still around to tell about it! :D  I knew when I started this post I wasn't gonna get even close to the way it really was but I had to give that old college try anyway, hope you liked it! :)

Kenai tower came about because of a mid-air in the traffic pattern.  At the time, this was FAA criteria for establishing a tower, regardless of traffic.  My supervisor at PAMR (Merrill) in Anchorage was selected as new tower chief and, after liberal beverages, I became 'Pancho' to his 'Cisco'.  He and I opened for business early January of '74.

1 hour ago, olderndirt said:

Kenai tower came about because of a mid-air in the traffic pattern.  At the time, this was FAA criteria for establishing a tower, regardless of traffic.  My supervisor at PAMR (Merrill) in Anchorage was selected as new tower chief and, after liberal beverages, I became 'Pancho' to his 'Cisco'.  He and I opened for business early January of '74.

Interesting story, sounds like FAA ran by crisis and not by planning! :wacko:  Panned out good for you and your super obviously!  So how long were you in Anchorage and doing the ATC gig? 

Archived