PAHO -PAEN Whiskey Run

Wakashi

Another short Alaska excursion in the DC-3, this time a Thunderbird Flight Service ship!  A short hop from Homer to Kenai with a short load of whiskey for the local boys and girls!  Just in "case" you are interested @flyingleafthere was 'hic', absolutely no spillage 'hic' :rolleyes:!   Well, OK, just a little! 'hic'! :P he said as he licked his lips!  Hope you enjoy the ride! 

1  Doing those mandatory checklists before taxi! 

0P2cBrC.jpg

2  Short taxi to runway 04!

dPVjdoh.jpg

3  Hold short, Canadian Geese on short final! :lol:  Before take off checklist! 

OAIw3Rt.jpg

4  No between airport scenery shots, so here we are on final into PAEN runway 2L!  Gear down, flaps full, 85kts, 2 red, 2 white!

npWD8UD.jpg

5  Passenger with his head hanging out the window taking runway shots, "spillage" I assume! 

ITUvg42.jpg

6  Area just off the end of the runway, at low tide!

6WJXvd4.jpg

7  Almost over the fence at this point!

nA35noB.jpg

8  All around the Water tank, just a waitin' for a plane! B)  Ya, gotta remember that old song!!!

WnVfevL.jpg

9.  Just before splash down...err, I mean touch down! :wacko:

1h8WuIv.jpg

10  Finally to the unloading of the cargo for the locals and the pilot of course! 

Cfd7ayJ.jpg

Almost like carrying 'coal to Newcastle'.  On your final approach #4 shot, the first grassy area between runway and taxiway was a designated landing area for little guys - had a PA16 Clipper at the time ('74) and used that exclusively.   Lived in Kenai and went the other way lots but not for whiskey - king crab, halibut and shrimp by the gunny sack.

2 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Almost like carrying 'coal to Newcastle'.  On your final approach #4 shot, the first grassy area between runway and taxiway was a designated landing area for little guys - had a PA16 Clipper at the time ('74) and used that exclusively.   Lived in Kenai and went the other way lots but not for whiskey - king crab, halibut and shrimp by the gunny sack.

Thanks a lot OND, sounds as though you had a very eventful younger life, flying AK, hauling seafood in gunny sacks, must have been grand!  Maybe next time I will grab a load of gunny sack seafood to haul! :lol:

2 hours ago, adambar said:

Beer beer on the wall, how many can you drink before you fall. :D

Nice ones Roger. :)

Thank you Adam, appreciate the comment!  As for how many, after the spillage of whiskey was 'cleaned up', maybe two before I fall! :D

2 hours ago, BradB said:

Looks like your giving the Mule team some competition Roger , your plane is so much cleaner than Karl's ; but you don't have Hilda and that's a dealbreaker . :rolleyes::o:D:lol:

Wouldn't dare try to compete with the Mule Team, Karl has that market sewn up tight, I'm just snatching up the leftovers from him and his crew!! :wacko:   As for Hilda, he can have her, she's to fat for me! :lol:  Thanks for looking and for the comments John!

13 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Thanks a lot OND, sounds as though you had a very eventful younger life, flying AK, hauling seafood in gunny sacks, must have been grand!  Maybe next time I will grab a load of gunny sack seafood to haul! :lol:

Lived up there, various locations - learned to fly and owned several planes.  It was fun.

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

Great shots Roger, for example the over the fence-shot.

And interesting to see your loading ("fuel sales") and cargo unloading documentation.

Thanks Gerold, glad you liked the over the fence shot, started not to use it, glad I did! :D   Unloading cases of Jameson Irish whiskey! :ph34r:   Thanks for commenting!

Great shots Roger. Glad you could help with the left over load of Whiskey. How come so little spillage?:o What kind of Whiskey are you hauling? Couldn't have been a good one:P. Great story indeed. Watch out if Hilda hears y'all called her fat it won't end up well for you:D

5 minutes ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots Roger. Glad you could help with the left over load of Whiskey. How come so little spillage?:o What kind of Whiskey are you hauling? Couldn't have been a good one:P. Great story indeed. Watch out if Hilda hears y'all called her fat it won't end up well for you:D

Glad to be of assistance Karl!  It was not bad, not bad at all, Jameson Irish Whiskey & no offense to Hilda, if she is over 8.6 stone she’s to fat for me! :rolleyes::lol:   Thanks for looking and for the comments! 

1 hour ago, Wakashi said:

Thanks Gerold, glad you liked the over the fence shot, started not to use it, glad I did! :D   Unloading cases of Jameson Irish whiskey! :ph34r:   Thanks for commenting!

You remind me of a training course I had 19 years ago. As an evening event we were invited to the Jameson distillery. They asked who would like to attend a tasting and guess what my finger did?

1 hour ago, Wakashi said:

Jameson Irish Whiskey & no offense to Hilda

Ah man Roger. If I had known it was Jameson I would've taken that load myself. Probably a good thing you took it. The Mules would've a lotta explaining to do with the insurance company about a "lost" load:P. Don't worry about Hilda she is cuddling her pet Grizzly right now by the fireplace so she's too busy worrying about yer.:D 

Archived