Coming to Grips with XPlane Vulkan

renault

This is a bit heavy on the screenshots, but I wanted to see if a) I could stress test XPlane Vulkan enough to "break it" and b) could I get decent color fidelity using simple solutions. So I have a couple plugins added as well - FWL, Avitab (real time mapping), ABC - a better camera.  The clouds are straight default XPlane and I have a few .lua parameters just for housekeeping purposes - shadows and the like.

All screenshots are straight from the "V" key. I used Reshade 4.6.1 Vulkan option, with a simple vibrance shader, and the clarity shader. Oh and a bit of Renaults "pixie dust" thrown in for good measure.  And in answer to part a) Well I did get it down to 310 mb free Vram and at one point was able to pull it down to 1 fps, but it still chugged along

In Santa Monica, I did have a bad case of the blurries (free Vram issue) when I was landing  but other wise it was good.  I hope you find these of interest. Notwithstanding that XPlane 11.50b9 is a beta, if the developer can get memory management sorted out ( I am pretty sure that they will) I think it will be a good option:)

I've also added a couple very similar screenshots from 11.41r1 for comparison. And lastly, I discovered a real challenge for Jack!

Cheers

Renault

Santa Monica -TE  SouthCal

Jz0q3Kk.jpg

XPlane 11.41r1

wdjpPyP.jpg

Everything following is 11.50b9, except as noted

eJxFXaK.jpg

gVYLtbF.jpg

uEgRxpd.jpg

XPlane 11.41r1 

k1s1i0g.jpg

All following are 11.50b9

6wXa2QX.jpg

HTVaErT.jpg

3GEVfPv.jpg

x1Z4hvQ.jpg

ikvjMwF.jpg

Still Good

pkSI1Jg.jpg

But as I came in to land I hit the "blurries". I had 310 mb free Vram left and total Vram used was 7.7 GB (Gpu-Z)

HXLbXPG.jpg

So I went into a new area, changed the time and let everything stabilize and all  was good again

lhP43it.jpg

And just cause I like TE NorCal a lot as well ...

wK2VyYW.jpg

And a few with the Cessna around Santa Monica again. Lower Vram requirements as the Robin is all 4K textures

2VpHO9N.jpg

B6bS9PE.jpg

ecsMijN.jpg

Southampton

9uNRrw9.jpg

XxSDWXw.jpg

lCYJ1nV.jpg

t6v0ML2.jpg

8Mgpjck.jpg

W9DO98y.jpg

81baDv4.jpg

CTmnydR.jpg

lH94zt3.jpg

VccFLpf.jpg

tBujdRv.jpg

t4AHe80.jpg

LeV6tff.jpg

wea0UUX.jpg

X75ej5q.jpg

sXFfhuJ.jpg

F2BRMpt.jpg

fnBCG91.jpg

r275jYI.jpg

This might hold the record for the shortest "runway" in XPlane

Even our Jack might have to practice !

EGDP - Runway 09 (XPlane Gateway A/P)
RNAS Portland

xngX6ah.jpg

You make it all look so easy - worked with a guy once who split a flight of four F4's for single ship approaches got them all up on discrete squawks and frequencies while calmly drinking his coffee and chatting with his handoff guy - me.  You remind me of him.

On 5/30/2020 at 5:13 PM, BradB said:

And for your encore Pete , you can walk on water ........B):D:rolleyes:

Ha , Ha!

Tried that one coming out of a pub. Missed the puddle and tried a dive into the cobbles! 

Don't recommend it :rolleyes:

Cheers

Pete

On 5/30/2020 at 6:47 PM, olderndirt said:

You make it all look so easy - worked with a guy once who split a flight of four F4's for single ship approaches got them all up on discrete squawks and frequencies while calmly drinking his coffee and chatting with his handoff guy - me.  You remind me of him.

Its all an illusion.

I only show what worked - Orbx doesn't have enough storage for all the ones that didn't :unsure:

Cheers

Pete

On 5/31/2020 at 12:45 AM, Iain Emms said:

Great post Pete.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain:)

Cheers Sir!

Pete

On 5/31/2020 at 12:56 AM, John Mac said:

Interesting and great shots. Have not tried it yet but it looks promising.

John.

Hi John

I think when it gets through its beta , most folks will like it. At the moment, when it works , the sim experience is really wonderful, but  it is prone to coming unravelled , often from the smallest things.  But this beta (B9) seems to be headed in the right direction, so that is definitely a positive :) 

Cheers

Pete

On 5/31/2020 at 2:05 AM, VH-KDK said:

A magnificent mega set R.

I like the images out of Southampton with a lot of familiar scenery down to Portland Bill.

Thanks Martyn

I remember you "harken from them, there parts" so I am pleased that you enjoyed them:)

Cheers

Pete

On 5/31/2020 at 3:14 AM, Dario said:

Stunning shots, Pete! Everything looking spectacular.

Thanks Dario

I'm glad they look reasonable. I am using a very simple freeware solution for color fidelity and it seems to be very compatible with Vulkan.

Cheers

Pete

On 6/1/2020 at 2:29 AM, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

Great looking shots.

Thanks Eberhard!

Appreciate you commenting

Cheers Sir!

Pete

On 6/1/2020 at 8:50 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

All great shots, especially the jets.  But the first few, despite being amazing scenery I cannot even imagine living in such dense housing, it would drive me crazy, I like my rural life.

Thanks Jack

Flying over it , that is exactly my thought as well!

Its hard to find green space, yet to compare if you fly over London, one is struck by the amount of nature 

My experience was I found London was a very liveable city, despite the dense poplulation

But the interesting thing , I've found over the last few months is that the number of birds that you hear and see where I live (inner city) is now incredible :)

I think I will miss it ….

Cheers and thanks for the comments!

Pete

21 hours ago, carlosqr said:

That's a real bunch of great shots :lol:

X-plane looks really cool

Thanks Carlos!

Cheers

Pete

Archived