Kenai AK

VH-KDK

3 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Good lookin' PAZT over very familiar ground. 

One of my favourite flights is between Birchwood and Kenai, a beautiful part of the world to fly over when the weather is good.

6 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

One of my favourite flights is between Birchwood and Kenai, a beautiful part of the world to fly over when the weather is good.

The FAA had a program called 'Familiarization Flying' - each ATC facility had a certain amount to spend on rental aircraft for "familiarization".  At Kenai, I was the facility pilot so every two weeks we rented this local C182 and me and a coworker flew up to Anchorage on what was unofficially known as the 'booze run'.  Our tower chief would pass late additions to our list on ground frequency - sneaky.  Unfortunately Anchorage Tower used the same ground freq so, us reading back his remarks destroyed the 'secret'.  When we called for landing we were greeted with some verbal abuse.  In addition, while taxiing to parking, the ground guy peppered us with advice on current best prices.  Nobody in 'management' ever got word and the good times continued.

1 hour ago, olderndirt said:

The FAA had a program called 'Familiarization Flying' - each ATC facility had a certain amount to spend on rental aircraft for "familiarization".  At Kenai, I was the facility pilot so every two weeks we rented this local C182 and me and a coworker flew up to Anchorage on what was unofficially known as the 'booze run'.  Our tower chief would pass late additions to our list on ground frequency - sneaky.  Unfortunately Anchorage Tower used the same ground freq so, us reading back his remarks destroyed the 'secret'.  When we called for landing we were greeted with some verbal abuse.  In addition, while taxiing to parking, the ground guy peppered us with advice on current best prices.  Nobody in 'management' ever got word and the good times continued.

Another great story. Man you should write a book, it would be so interesting.

Archived