P3Dv5 - open to persuasion?

I have to admit that I'm seriously struggling with the two lighting models in P3Dv5.

"Standard" is like default P3Dv4 of old and (IMHO) needs PTA or Tomatoshade to bring it up to top quality. "Advanced" (meaning experimental/unfinished) looks promising but has too many drawbacks for my liking ... BUT ...

... under the right weather conditions, it can be persuaded (I mean cajoled) into producing some good results - albeit all on the moody or slightly muddy/dark side:

p3dv5-c185-mtcook-02-1350.jpg?dl=1

I had to brighten this one up a bit in Photoshop:

p3dv5-c185-mtcook-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

To be fair, this was actually quite a dismal day - even though it was around mid-day! A trip from NZWN to NZAA:
p3dv5-b777-nzaa-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

p3dv5-b777-nzaa-02-1350.jpg?dl=1

Near Thames, Coromandel (NZNI):

p3dv5-sierra-nzth-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

p3dv5-sierra-nzth-04-1350.jpg?dl=1

A2A Spitfire over Rangitoto (I had to brighten up the aircraft quite a lot):

p3dv5-a2a-spitfire-rangitoto-01-1350.jpg

Adam.

Nice images, Adam. I'm still very much on the fence re P3Dv5. Currently still using P3Dv4.5HF3 and see no necessity as yet to upgrade.

Besides, many of my add-ons are still being updated to accommodate the latest version.

Herman :)

Not sure from your intro whether these are EA On or Off?

Gets messy when Envshade, Envtex, ASP3D & ASCA are injected into the mix. Then there are the Rex products too. Its a bit like making Winter soup - everything goes in but no idea which is doing what to whom.

For instance, ASP3D + ASCA works with EA Off, but only ASP3D with EA On.

As regards image tweaking, it looks like Luminar is good on arty image output.

Brooding skies. shimmering desert etc.

Very confusing.

TTM

2 minutes ago, Iain Emms said:

Yes Adam a fine collection, i have a month or two left on my 4.5 a little bit of time to ponder if i go to 5.

cheers

Iain

Iain, I would sit in 4.5 for awhile.

There are many issues LM is working on, & I believe Orbx is also looking at some issues.

So another HF out of LM wouldn't surprise me at all. 

TTM

Nice shots Adam, I was too late to get the AS beta, it's now suspended.  As for V5 though, it's a hot mess in my opinion.  So far in my experience and from what Ive been reading it's a step back.  Unless I just fly the Extra that is.

I agree, I could never seem to get the muddy/dark look as you say the way I wanted. I was constantly fussing around to try and get it right, plus the flickering of the trees and planes against the clouds and whatnot, drove me crazy. That is why I went back to V4.5 until they get the situation under control, besides I have all my stuff back again. :D

On 5/10/2020 at 1:28 AM, Hauer said:

Nice images, Adam. I'm still very much on the fence re P3Dv5. Currently still using P3Dv4.5HF3 and see no necessity as yet to upgrade.

Besides, many of my add-ons are still being updated to accommodate the latest version.

I quite agree. Unless they really pull something out of the hat, I don't really see v5 as much of an upgrade.

23 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Yes Adam a fine collection, i have a month or two left on my 4.5 a little bit of time to ponder if i go to 5.

I'd wait until the last day of the 2nd month to decide LOL. You're really not missing much - considering the quality of shots you're posting from v4.5!

23 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Not sure from your intro whether these are EA On or Off?

Gets messy when Envshade, Envtex, ASP3D & ASCA are injected into the mix. Then there are the Rex products too. Its a bit like making Winter soup - everything goes in but no idea which is doing what to whom.

For instance, ASP3D + ASCA works with EA Off, but only ASP3D with EA On.

As regards image tweaking, it looks like Luminar is good on arty image output.

All these had EA on ... except that I've tweaked some of the pics as well. That Spitfire in the last shot was almost totally dark - amazing the detail Photoshop could still bring out. I've had some success with ASP3D and ASCA, but it's all been a little inconsistent - to say the least.

9 hours ago, adambar said:

I agree, I could never seem to get the muddy/dark look as you say the way I wanted. I was constantly fussing around to try and get it right, plus the flickering of the trees and planes against the clouds and whatnot, drove me crazy. That is why I went back to V4.5 until they get the situation under control, besides I have all my stuff back again. :D

I think I've more or less given up on EA. I'm not sure why they even bothered to include it, when it obviously has so far to go. I'll go back to tinkering in non-EA mode, but even that is overly contrasty and a devil to get balanced up. I do hope PTA or TS get upgraded soon.

I think I feel an XP11 session looming!!!

Adam.

Archived