Alaska "cruising" with the Mules.

Getting ready for a wee cruise. Hilda yells at our passengers to git their butts into their seats:o:D. What a good girl she is. T-Bone checks the beer supply and is all smiles:POK let's git this show on the road so to speak. Look at our "baby" 75 yrs. young. Just like my trusty co-pilot:o( "Ah T kinda sad their still make parts for our plane, jist not for us"):rolleyes:Gtqz4hP.jpgTaxi to runway 26 and ready for take off :Dq1wYWEd.jpgWell here we go almost at v 1:"Hilda git in the back for take off" I yell at her, it helps to git the nose up:rolleyes:B):lol:S0YJ2uL.jpgJuneau is a nice city and that airport is a jewel.MXHrbhI.jpg1dXLtxM.jpg"Hey you guys in the back. Look out the starboard side and see that freighter hauling Whiskey and beers and a lotta other but boring stuff". Somebody says:" What's starboard? It's daytime I don't see no "blinking" stars":blink: Hilda says:" No dummy, it means look outta right side of the plane, gosh, whats this world coming too?"aZngfwF.jpg "Hey, T look ahead, cruise ship let's go "cruising in Alaska, mebby we find that Martyn from Down Under":D Closer.WVY3y4Z.jpgYBIMzdg.jpgGhWQzG2.jpgWlaPNJB.jpg "Hey any body seen Martyn?" Hilda says:" I'm pretty sure I saw him sitting on the Poop deck sipping on one of them fancy girly drinks with an umbrella sticking out of it" :PVGLJXF5.jpg "One of them passengers made a mistake telling Hilda: "I bet y'all them's gotta lotta better food and drinks on that them their ship.":oWhy good old Hilda turned around without any spillage from the eight one liter full beer steins she's carrying and says:" Buddy if y'all don't like it in here, Ill open the door and help y'all to git on the floating hotel without a parachute, hear?":angry:VGLJXF5.jpgAll went very merry on board our cozy airplane. "Buddy" is quietly swilling his third "stein" avoiding Hilda's stink eye and life is wonderful. Cheers:PAllright lets head back to the Barn and discuss our next flight.IGed9yL.jpgThanks for coming along. No passengers got injured. Buddy after his fourth stein fell in love with Hilda:wub:and Hilda with him:wub:. She's happy when she finds a guy that isn't totally terrified of her "interesting":unsure::rolleyes: However, this is not my last word since someone was watching our "cruise" from afar.

PyvL7LN.jpg

Howdy people. My name is Roodie from Down Under and I'm telling Y'All that lady either needs glasses or she's plain old lying;). Looking at this crew I think it's the latter. The reason I know this is, I'm laying on the beach here in beautiful Down Under and I'm looking at Martyn not 25 feet away from me drinking Foster's Lager outta big bucket:P. He don't like them fancy girly drinks with umbrellas sticking out. (Sorry Martyn hope you forgive me:unsure:) Stay safe my friends. Don't be too mad at the Mules. We try. Cheers k:D

That taxiway to runway 26 was 75' wide gravel when I worked there.  Only the little guys would use it.  26 was the preferred runway up to 9 kt tailwind then 8 was mandatory for the Carriers along with the dreaded 'Lemon Creek Turnaround'.  After takeoff airspeed was adjusted for minimum turn radius then a left turn up Lemon Creek valley.  When you felt you had room a right turn back around to the Coghlan beacon then on course.  At the time we had Western with B720's and Alaska with the B727.  The 727 just did a nice easy right chandelle - no problem.  Not particularly busy back then and just as well - it was a one way in and out airport.   

10 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

That taxiway to runway 26 was 75' wide gravel when I worked there.  Only the little guys would use it.  26 was the preferred runway up to 9 kt tailwind then 8 was mandatory for the Carriers along with the dreaded 'Lemon Creek Turnaround'.  After takeoff airspeed was adjusted for minimum turn radius then a left turn up Lemon Creek valley.  When you felt you had room a right turn back around to the Coghlan beacon then on course.  At the time we had Western with B720's and Alaska with the B727.  The 727 just did a nice easy right chandelle - no problem.  Not particularly busy back then and just as well - it was a one way in and out airport.   

So interesting that you've been there. Juneau and Alaska Airlines have quite a history. Nasty 50 miles per hr. winds and only 2 hrs of daylight in the winter. I'm sure that does wonders for your level of concentration. I just love Alaska do you miss it?

16 minutes ago, flyingleaf said:

So interesting that you've been there. Juneau and Alaska Airlines have quite a history. Nasty 50 miles per hr. winds and only 2 hrs of daylight in the winter. I'm sure that does wonders for your level of concentration. I just love Alaska do you miss it?

Went up in '59 courtesy of the USAF.  Had a useful skill and decided to come back - got married and had two kids - except for a two year stint at KCRW, it was basically forty years.

Another great report from one of the worlds most famous airlines and their business class service. 

It must have been a shock for Martyn when he was enjoying his fancy drink to see some real men flying by? At least you took a good photo of him, he seems to be a true Aussie meanwhile.

7 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Another great report from one of the worlds most famous airlines and their business class service. 

It must have been a shock for Martyn when he was enjoying his fancy drink to see some real men flying by? At least you took a good photo of him, he seems to be a true Aussie meanwhile.

Thank you Gerold. Yep he's good looking Dude and so is Roodie.:lol::D

Well there are my 15 minutes of fame or in this case shame, geez thanks mate!

That was me on deck minus the umbrella,  the pole was far too big to fit in the bottle of rum!

I saw Hilda's icy stare out of 3 of the C-47's windows, geez she has a big boof head!

I also see she has been north for the winter with her frigid charm as Alaska had an extra cold winter this year which will make the booming polar bear population very happy.

With all the blubber she wouldn't have felt the cold for sure.

I was going to comment on Roody but he has warned me that he will do something unmentionable in my bucket of beer if I talk about him, so I will pass this time!

On 5/6/2020 at 5:36 PM, Stillwater said:

No probs Gerold, real men know a hoax when they see one!:)

I mean Hilda cant be real.;)

1 minute ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

Matter of fact, I was. Who else? Did I miss anything else in the pictures? 

That is good to hear Ebo, I was going to have a sleepless night worrying about you.

For a minute I was worried you were referring to The Mule Team's Hilda!

She is the one who kick starts the engines when they play up.:ph34r:

1 minute ago, VH-KDK said:

That is good to hear Ebo, I was going to have a sleepless night worrying about you.

For a minute I was worried you were referring to The Mule Team's Hilda!

She is the one who kick starts the engines when they play up.:ph34r:

So I DID miss something!

Thanks for the background info. I did not know that.

Thanks for your concern.:D

15 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Well there are my 15 minutes of fame or in this case shame, geez thanks mate!

That was me on deck minus the umbrella,  the pole was far too big to fit in the bottle of rum!

I saw Hilda's icy stare out of 3 of the C-47's windows, geez she has a big boof head!

I also see she has been north for the winter with her frigid charm as Alaska had an extra cold winter this year which will make the booming polar bear population very happy.

With all the blubber she wouldn't have felt the cold for sure.

I was going to comment on Roody but he has warned me that he will do something unmentionable in my bucket of beer if I talk about him, so I will pass this time!

Thanks Martyn. Glad you're OK my Friend stay safe. Hilda is indeed never cold. If she ever gets cold she'll snuggle up with her pet Grizzly :unsure::D

Archived