A tribute to the Grzimeks

When I was a child we saw lots of animal documentation series in TV. One of the most famous was "Ein Herz für Tiere / A heart for animals" by Bernhard Grzimek. He was director of the Frankfurt Zoo from 1945-1974, and brought one of the Zoo´s animals into each episode, showing us kids "the world". He was also the first German after WW2 to receive an acadamy award for his movie "Serengeti shall not die" - which greatly catalysed the declaration of Nature Reserves all over Africa. It is well worth to read about his life in wikipedia, noting that the German version has much more detail. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Grzimek
This flight starts at Kilimanjaro Intl., ...

imLhlVP.jpg

... passes the mountains named after the airport (or is it the other way round?).

lfesIEz.jpg

wm4sYnS.jpg

I had to select an aircraft which can climb up to 22000 ft, without the lack of Oxygen for the avatars.

GB9Pg0B.jpg

Quite impressive, even in the simulator.

srzdYrf.jpg

The mountains collect clouds, leading to massive farming on its southern side.

zc6leBj.jpg

Then we cruise over the plains...

l3rUec7.jpg

... up the ridge near Laka Manyara...

oj71xSb.jpg

... towards Ngorongoro crater. Another place with Grizmek history: Bernhard´s son Michael died in an airplane accident during filming for the Serengeti movie (collision of his Dornier Do27 with a vulture). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Grzimek

dgwEpd4.jpg

The crater is one of the places with the highest wildlife density in the world. Unfortunately I could not spot many...

cSjFaOq.jpg

zCxsMD2.jpg

Both mentioned Grzimeks are buried at the rim of the crater.

DHmBQtq.jpg

Serengeti plain.

smRQNmj.jpg

qozDt5M.jpg

Lake Magadi in the background...

rasbVqC.jpg

... while we had on to Nairobi, Kenya.

Sz6R51M.jpg

7 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great shots Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

4 hours ago, BradB said:

Sensational shots and tour Gerold . :):)

I am happy you like them, John.

4 hours ago, adambar said:

Great stuff Gerold! :)

Thanks Adam!

2 hours ago, Hauer said:

Thanks for the very interesting trip, Gerold! 

Herman :rolleyes:

You´re welcome. So much to discover... and to report.

3 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Very interesting Gerold, I had never heard of the Grzimeks before now.

Glad that you like ´em, Martyn. Here we see the difference of 1960s/70s TV between the countries - I sometimes wonder about the english. Did you read about Bernhards life and personal development?

1 hour ago, Eberhard Haberkorn said:

Thanks Gerold for the great story and images. "Serengeti darf nicht sterben" is one of my favorite books. Hence also my passion for the Do-27.

I also did a virtual trip into the crater, but did not see any animals. 

Thank you Ebo. I think there is no professional NatureFlow in the scenery, but I tried to add it with a freeware. But I am not totally convinced of it.

I would have taken a striped Do27 (D-ENTE) if I had one. But climbing up the Kilimanjaro limited the choice of planes anyway.

15 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Stunning shots and narration Gerald.

Well done.

cheers

Gumby

Thank you for the comment, Gumby!

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Never heard of the guy Gerold, nice shots and tour here.

You live far away from german TV of the old times, Jack. Still these lifelines from before, during and after the war are fascinating.

Archived