Orbx roadmap 2020 ?

MasonDominique

John Venema hinted at a possible update, to follow a team meeting in mid February, may have something to share. There is a lot to consider, meaning the impact of MSFS 2020. the potential game changer. MSFS is going to show a list of third party developers in the next few updates, then we will see if Orbx is on the list, I suspect so. There are short term and long term planning decisions to be made, especially to continue on P3D scenery development or throttle back till the market gets sorted out. What about individual developers, start a new project, complete in progress asap, or just sit it out till things become clear.

I would love to see the completion of last years in potential development, Bodo etc. There was also earlier hint of Burbank and some Alaska airports, all good stuff. Things are different now, remember the plan to rollout products, major scenic areas each quarter, airports several per month, just wow.

So its all in the fullness of time.

Neil

Hi Guys as a long time owner of ALL the ORBX airports/Regions etc, I am a little concerned as to what will happen in the future with the onset of a new sim in 2020. I understand from reading and watching discussions on FS2020.

I am struggling to see where ORBX and other scenery developers will fit in to it, as it will be using sat images and photo gramitry(can't spell it) and this is where I am unable to see where these developers will fit into it, I know ORBX won't be going anywhere as they have a huge customer base in the other sims so that isn't a question. But I'm at a loss as to bringing other developers on board in the store? Is it a purely financial move to keep the ship afloat when 2020 comes out? I understand it's not any of anyone's business about the financial workings of a business but it is a valid concern of the users, I personally would hate to see ORBX go the way of The Flightsim store and some other rock solid companies go and just shut down.

I don't want to know specific details but it would be nice to keep us customers  informed a little more as to the future of this great company and supplier of fantastic products for our hobby which we love and enjoy I have a huge investment in my sim and hardware and will be staying with P3d even when 2020 comes out I may have a look at it but it will be a long while before I would even consider switching sims again.

Graham.

1 minute ago, Mickel said:

Does anyone seriously think airports can be generated the the level that Orbx, FB etc etc can provide?  The FS team have already said the SDK will be released for scenery developers.  The sky will not fall.

Somewhere on this forum in the last few days - a company spokesperson - commented that the team was flat out on more airports than ever before

or words to that effect.

I'm to lazy to count the airports that Orbx have available on Central - but can imagine the work load to port them across to the 2020 SDK

It goes beyond imagination how even Microsoft with their promises of real time simming with weather etc - can possibly come up with real time airports

Orbx already have airports with AI on board - I use one regularly - Gold Coast - and there's no sign of a "Ground Hog Day" on it 

Lose not the sight that MS have their nose in FSX steam with beta testing -  and P3D is the SDK first produced by MS

I forecast a hook up with Lockheed Martin?Valve for a sim for the 1000s of W10 computers - only capable of P3D that exists in terms of performance need

I further forecast that we will have 3 sims (not counting XP who will have their loyal customers) - A general low range sim - based on P3D V5 - as now

- an SD version of 2020 for mid range computers - and a full blown - all singing all dancing all weather sim- for super comps and X Box TWO

Orbx will not vanish for a long time yet - and remember - they are the ones 12 years ago that made the first steps to improve FSX scenery - Ms will not 

have forgotten That

Orbx have 75000 subscribers (customers?) - to this forum  - a fact that will not escape the attention of MS - or there is  - known only to Valve (steam) - many more 1000s 

using FSX 

Hello,

I see that in the absence of a statement from Orbx, you have, as usual, kindly gone ahead and made up your own.

It has already been said that, as the previous "roadmaps" have attracted adverse comment when the forecast

did not take place, that the whole concept is under review.

The interest is fully understood and I am sure that as soon as there is something to announce, it will be announced.

On 2/16/2020 at 6:10 PM, John Heaton said:

Somewhere on this forum in the last few days - a company spokesperson - commented that the team was flat out on more airports than ever before

or words to that effect.

To- morrow - the 20th -  MS say they will show us the airports they are working on - will we identify any from Orbx ??

I hope so !!

On 2/19/2020 at 6:41 PM, John Heaton said:

To- morrow - the 20th -  MS say they will show us the airports they are working on - will we identify any from Orbx ??

I hope so !!

It's on now !! - https://youtu.be/10P21oFOxAU

I didn't spot any obvious Orbx ones - but what there is - is as gob smacking as the June Video

I learned that Australian airports have rec'd the treatment - but they showed Queenstown NZ 

A very large concentration of support for the big aircraft handling which will add  more toys to the tube flyers

Very many references to FSX past attributes - sort of led me to think that MS are looking at 2020 as a major "Upgrade" to FSX Gold

and furthers my opinion that we will have 3 versions of MS2020 - as I outlined above - because I doubt that we who have Mid range Comps

will be able to cope with some of the "Plays" in this video including the life of Each airport movements

I will stay with my Mid range PC and await the X Box Two  version  of MS2020 in September.

On 2/21/2020 at 3:31 AM, John Heaton said:

It's on now !! - https://youtu.be/10P21oFOxAU

I didn't spot any obvious Orbx ones - but what there is - is as gob smacking as the June Video

I learned that Australian airports have rec'd the treatment - but they showed Queenstown NZ 

A very large concentration of support for the big aircraft handling which will add  more toys to the tube flyers

Very many references to FSX past attributes - sort of led me to think that MS are looking at 2020 as a major "Upgrade" to FSX Gold

and furthers my opinion that we will have 3 versions of MS2020 - as I outlined above - because I doubt that we who have Mid range Comps

will be able to cope with some of the "Plays" in this video including the life of Each airport movements

I will stay with my Mid range PC and await the X Box Two  version  of MS2020 in September.

I doubt that there will be 3 versions of MSFS, you'll just have different options within the sim, and you'll not be getting MSFS on the XBOX 2 in September, as it's being produced for PC first and then ported over to XBOX at a later date, we'll even be lucky if we get MSFS anywhere near a PC by September.

1 hour ago, eaim said:

I doubt that there will be 3 versions of MSFS, you'll just have different options within the sim, and you'll not be getting MSFS on the XBOX 2 in September, as it's being produced for PC first and then ported over to XBOX at a later date, we'll even be lucky if we get MSFS anywhere near a PC by September.

I hope that’s not true.  They should release pc and Xbox together; staggered delayed releases suck.     But I’m getting fed up with xplane so I may use it less and just install parallels and get windows.  

* no I don’t want two computers.  I like my iMac it’s easy to use. 

Archived