A Tiger at Old Warden

olderndirt

Decided to try this in the 'experimental model' mode of XP.

An idyllic setting for an airport.

Tigerow1.png

Not much nose down but I'm spinning - to the right with no rudder input and non-recoverable as it turned out.  No opposite rudder and the airspeed came alive seconds before impact.

Tigerow2.png

Ailerons are very good.

Tigerow3.png

And the elevators.

Tigerow4.png

Lovely shots!! I enabled experimental mode myself - only a couple of days ago - but have yet to try spinning.

From my experience in RL (mainly gliders), spin recovery was relatively intuitive/easy. Though they're "a little more thrilling" than level flight (and I must admit they look ghastly from the ground), I never found them much of a problem. Depends a lot on the particular aircraft, I'm sure, but I'm surprised the flight model of the DH82 is so inaccurate ... shame!

I'm going to give it a spin, as it were!!! :ph34r::D

Adam.

2 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

Lovely shots!! I enabled experimental mode myself - only a couple of days ago - but have yet to try spinning.

From my experience in RL (mainly gliders), spin recovery was relatively intuitive/easy. Though they're "a little more thrilling" than level flight (and I must admit they look ghastly from the ground), I never found them much of a problem. Depends a lot on the particular aircraft, I'm sure, but I'm surprised the flight model of the DH82 is so inaccurate ... shame!

I'm going to give it a spin, as it were!!! :ph34r::D

Adam.

Spins are exciting maneuvers, even when planned.  I've watched Austin describe how the stall will no longer just mush and you'll get a break, usually with some wing drop.  The Moth didn't need much 'up' to stall and rolled to the right without any rudder - rapid rotation but appears flat and all the forward stick in the world not breaking it seems to bear this out.  Full opposite rudder in no way slows the rotation.  Have fun.

12 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

flight model of the DH82 is so inaccurate ...

:-[ ... need to be improved by somebody - the plane is so great

14 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Excellence shots and good looking aircraft

+1

thanks OND :)

Well ... this is most weird. First of all, I ensured that the experimental mode was enabled (yes - and after multiple XP restarts). I then tried with a full fuel tank and also with an almost empty one - but didn't mess with the CofG setting.

I just couldn't get the Moth to do a proper spin at all. I bled speed (throttle closed and slight nose up attitude) ... the controls went mushy (sort of) but I still appeared to have way too much control. *Eventually*, I could persuade one of the wings to drop - but it didn't seem too bothered about which one - I could easily nudge it in either direction.

All I could manage was a fairly tight (downwards) turn - that very quickly allowed airspeed to build back up and fully controlled flight thereafter. Even in the "incipient" spin state, all controls were fully responsive. I'm not sure whether propwash can give you quite that much airflow over the rudder/elevators - but ailerons certainly wouldn't be getting anything - so something out of wack there. The prop was basically windmilling - though I suppose I could try it with a totally dead engine.

As to your problems (which I couldn't reproduce) - are you sure experimental mode is active? Is your controllers calibration OK? Not sure what else to advise.

I have Ant's Tiger Moth Pro in P3D, so I'll see how that one spins (!).

Adam.

Archived