Orbx and FS2020

wolfko

When comparing the look of Orbx sceneries like the Cityshape and  TE series with the FS2020 ones like seen in the previews and noticing the similarities, it seems to me, that Orbx might be more involved in FS2020 than we think.

5 hours ago, wolfko said:

When comparing the look of Orbx sceneries like the Cityshape and  TE series with the FS2020 ones like seen in the previews and noticing the similarities, it seems to me, that Orbx might be more involved in FS2020 than we think.

What you see in the FS2020 previews  has nothing to do with ORBX whatsoever. 

26 minutes ago, jordancollins said:

What you see in the FS2020 previews  has nothing to do with ORBX whatsoever. 

Nobody of us users can tell yet, Jordan. Let's see what the future brings.

1 hour ago, jordancollins said:

I can tell and it is not ORBX, I guarantee you. 

How do you know? Do you have insider info?

For me TE in X-Plane looks very, very similar to FS2020. Not so much in P3d, but this probably because of the inferior lighting in P3d.

The reason they look similar is that both the True Earth series and the MSFS2020 landscape has taken a giant leap forwards towards visual reality.

When MSFS 2020 was announced, it took everyone by surprise. Nobody (outside of the development circle) saw it coming, and that includes the CEO of Orbx (by his own admission).

As the 'True Earth' series was at that time already in production, by simple deduction, it can be seen that the two things are indeed separate entities.

15 minutes ago, norfolk mike said:

The reason they look similar is that both the True Earth series and the MSFS2020 landscape has taken a giant leap forwards towards visual reality.

When MSFS 2020 was announced, it took everyone by surprise. Nobody (outside of the development circle) saw it coming, and that includes the CEO of Orbx (by his own admission).

As the 'True Earth' series was at that time already in production, by simple deduction, it can be seen that the two things are indeed separate entities.

That makes sense...

4 hours ago, wolfko said:

Nobody of us users can tell yet, Jordan. Let's see what the future brings.

When the E3 trailer and info were released, John Venema learned about the news at the FSExpo bar and confessed he didn't hear about MSFS before and MS was very clever in keeping it hiddden. On the other hand, the very first trailer already has the typical MSFS landscape structures (photogrammetry as well as Azure-based). This should exlude any ORBX involvement at that time.

Kind regards, Michael

TrueEarth USA Florida will look closest to the new MS simulator because essentially the same techniques are being used. Our TE series have been in development well before Microsoft’s announcement in June and we are constantly spending money on R&D to improve TrueEarth such as our new TrueColour tech and photogrammetry type of methods for CityScape Miami. However the similarity is purely coincidental. Often in the software industry similar methods emerge from different development teams at the same time.

Orbx has been under NDA with Microsoft since 2010 and Lockheed Martin since 2014 so we cannot make any comments about any involvement we may or may not have with those companies. Please respect our position on this.

What I can say, and have already shared on these forums and in various press interviews, is that the new sim looks stunning and we very much look forward to getting our hands on the SDK along with many of our peers in the FS industry.

The videos I watched tell me this"

True earth worldwide.

Full extras like great sky etc

Great aircraft.

No more installing large installs.  Everything will stream.

Much more.  Pretty much everything will be included.

It really looks awesome.  

11 hours ago, John Venema said:

our new TrueColour tech and photogrammetry type of methods for CityScape Miami

Thanks for the clarification John. You mentioned TrueColour in the preview announcement, for roof and vegetation colour blending. You also mention 8.3M autogen placed buildings, but could you explain the photogrammetry - I don't think we have seen previews of the Miami cityscape yet, but it would be interesting to know how this works, and if Orbx have a similar AI process to do this?

On 1/3/2020 at 10:25 PM, wolfko said:

14 hours ago, Juanvito said:

It's really no surprise they look similar.  Both use photo imagery (aerial/satellite) as a base ground texture, so what is there is what you see.  It would be strange if they did not look similar.

13 minutes ago, Scott Harmes said:

It's really no surprise they look similar.  Both use photo imagery (aerial/satellite) as a base ground texture, so what is there is what you see.  It would be strange if they did not look similar.

I actually was not talking about the ground imagery, but about bildings, vegetation, street and city lights etc. and their exact placement in relation to the ground imagery.

On 1/3/2020 at 1:57 PM, Rongor said:

Yes, and their TE product line are merely region-limited demos of FS2020 landscape which they are siphoning off their FS2020 work pipeline...

I was joking with this, btw...

3 hours ago, norfolk mike said:

Yes, we got that Rongor. Well, most of us did, I'm sure :D.

OMG :o sarcasm!!

Knewing Rongor's very German sense of humor even I got it, but just haven't done him the favour to jump on it.

Archived