Orbx Central legacy layering

R Smith

15 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

if you were to use Orbx Central and tick the Legacy box, you would be able to see the xml scenery library entries and place

the Orbx ones below them.

I tried this today, it still doesn't detect the missing airports and Bonaire is the lowest on the list.

Hello, i really am in need of help, after the disaster of installing orbx central and losing almost all auto gen, i've also lost a lot of my addon airports and sceneries from the scenery library all together, Half of my Fly tampa airports have just dissapeard from the library along with other third party airports.

Also getting problems with the enhanced airports that came with Eu England, Eu Wales, Eu, Scotland...

Are these issues still occurring? If so, can you provide screenshots of the issues your having with the regions?

On 12/15/2019 at 4:53 AM, R Smith said:

That's my problem, none of my UK2000 airports show and half my fly tampa stuff doesn't either.

These are likely installed with add-on.xml. They should be visible under insertion points when Enable Legacy Layering is not checked.

20 hours ago, Mitchell Williamson said:

Are these issues still occurring? If so, can you provide screenshots of the issues your having with the regions?

These are likely installed with add-on.xml. They should be visible under insertion points when Enable Legacy Layering is not checked.

I've done a complete reinstall of all my ORBX products just using FTX Central, I've lost confidence with ORBX Central, until these isssues are soted out I'll be staying away for now.

Thanks for the help i have received, but a complete reinstall and going back to FTX Central has done the trick.

On 12/19/2019 at 6:46 AM, R Smith said:

I've done a complete reinstall of all my ORBX products just using FTX Central, I've lost confidence with ORBX Central, until these isssues are soted out I'll be staying away for now.

It's worth noting that Mitch's solution above would have resolved your issue with Orbx Central (turning off Legacy Layering and then selecting your add-on.xml installed scenery in the insertion point tool)

1 hour ago, Ben McClintock said:

Not yet, we'll re-enable this in early January

Will you take advantage of the new "feature" of HF2 to omit the useless (now) numerous Altitude stub ?

Should improve the too long P3d loading time.

Thanks and merry Christmas.

Gérard

Hello Gérard,

I doubt very much if it will make any difference at all, I removed all of mine some time ago and saw no change.

I would not expect their removal to make any difference, as P3D v4.5.13.32097 is not not even looking at them.

However, the team are indeed aware of the possibilities of tidying up and it is on the ever growing list of things to look at.

It should also be borne in mind that except for the very latest version of P3D v4, all the other versions of P3D and FSX

still require these files

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Gérard,

I doubt very much if it will make any difference at all, I removed all of mine some time ago and saw no change.

I would not expect their removal to make any difference, as P3D v4.5.13.32097 is not not even looking at them.

Thanks Nick for your feedback.

I was expecting at least an improvement in loading time of P3D which is becoming soooo long :(

I switched to the add-on method when switching to Windows10 in October (fresh install), and imagined that having so much folder to scan could explain this feeling.

Have a Merry Christmas

Gérard

This topic is an interesting read. I see Orbx is having a sale and considered another purchase, however, this thread is making me think twice. In the past whenever I would install ORBX products they always seemed to cause issues such as buildings in water, trees on runways and so on. I have searched for installation instructions with regard on sequence of product installs and the order in the scenery library to no avail. 

I purchased all of the basics plus a few more (Trees HD for example) but it never looked like any of the screenshots on the Orbx website. Out of frustration I’ve stopped using ORBX products and I have considered attempting to install them into P3Dv4 but I fear it will not result in the great images I’ve seen. And I am running Windows 10 with an Intel 4.0 CPU (water cooler), NVidia GeForce GTX 1070 GPU, and 32 GB RAM. 

Currently I am not using any ORBX products but have installed multiple airport addons. 

1. Is there a way to install ORBX products to get the advertised look?

2. Will installation affect other airport addons?

My apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum. 

1 hour ago, PC Pilot said:

This topic is an interesting read. I see Orbx is having a sale and considered another purchase, however, this thread is making me think twice. In the past whenever I would install ORBX products they always seemed to cause issues such as buildings in water, trees on runways and so on. I have searched for installation instructions with regard on sequence of product installs and the order in the scenery library to no avail. 

I purchased all of the basics plus a few more (Trees HD for example) but it never looked like any of the screenshots on the Orbx website. Out of frustration I’ve stopped using ORBX products and I have considered attempting to install them into P3Dv4 but I fear it will not result in the great images I’ve seen. And I am running Windows 10 with an Intel 4.0 CPU (water cooler), NVidia GeForce GTX 1070 GPU, and 32 GB RAM. 

Currently I am not using any ORBX products but have installed multiple airport addons. 

1. Is there a way to install ORBX products to get the advertised look?

2. Will installation affect other airport addons?

My apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum. 

As a beta tester I have every ORBX product for obvious reasons.  I always install them using the installers and whatever path the ORBX Central (or FTX Central originally) requires.

I have never had any major issues with scenery order, layering etc.  Occasionally I find it advantageous to bump a scenery layer up or down (using Scenery Config Editor, freeware), though it's usually non-ORBX stuff that needs to be moved around.

I'm always seeing posts on these forums about how ORBX Central stuffs things up.  Well, in my experience, if you let the program do the installing it all works perfectly.

I agree with your frustration.  I had Orbx Central up and running with all the various backup and temp files defined in setup, all my purchases were indicated, the updates worked, and life was good.  However, since your last update, I have lost everything that was listed in Central.  Of course I still have the downloaded files, but nothing shows up in Central even though all the backup and temp files are exactly the same before and are populated with files, but the last update screwed up everything.  I have purchased a number of files, including all the really big ones, but now, nothing shows as being installed.  It does show I own the files, but now I am going to have to go back and download everything again for it to show up in Central.  And this is not the first time this has happened.  It's gotten to the point where I am just going to ignore Central and live without the information.  Your servers are sooooooo sloooooow that it would take me weeks to download everything again (and I have a 1000GB line) just to have everything look pretty until the next time it wipes out everything and it is no longer worth the effort.  Enough is enough.  Goodbye Central!

Hello Cdrbuck,

nothing in the 'various backup and temp files' folders would be expected to show up in Orbx Central.

If your products were installed and showing as installed, then they are still installed and you should

investigate why Orbx Central can no longer see them.

The most likely cause is that the files that it uses to identify the products have been moved or removed.

If you would like support, please start your own topic.

Thanks.

Good day,

I just read through this thread and found an information which is new to me:

On 12/20/2019 at 10:01 AM, gaab said:

new "feature" of HF2 to omit the useless (now) numerous Altitude stub

On 12/20/2019 at 10:21 AM, Nick Cooper said:

I removed all of mine some time ago

What did you remove?

The HF2 change log does not mention anything regarding elevation correction, so what have I missed here? AFAIK, the elevation stubs are the files which were previously located in the scenery/world/scenery folder layered just above the default scenery (just like any other elevation correction files for addon airports).

• are these elevation correction files no longer necessary at all (which I cannot imagine)?
  • do these files not have to be specifically layered anymore?
  • could they even be placed in the addon scenery folder now?

I found nothing significant about it in the forum search, that's why I'm asking here.

Boris

Hello Boris,

it is in fact mentioned a number of times in these forums.

Following the release of P3D version 4.5.13.32097, airport elevation

is no longer read from the "bottom" of the scenery order, but from the top.

The ALT files' purpose was to set the elevation of an addon airport that was different to the

default airport and had therefore to be placed at the bottom, below all the default airports,

or those default airports would set the elevation of the addon and of course introduce anomalies.

P3D now reads from the top and as soon as it finds the addon airport, it stops reading and sets that altitude.

Of course, the defaults are now "after" the addon and the ALT file is redundant.

I too scoured the release notes and saw absolutely nothing at all, which is the exact amount of information

that was released to the public.

I found out by word of mouth from a developer who I asked why something that did work, stopped doing so.

If you still doubt, just remove all the ALT files from scenery\world\scenery and visit a few of your addon airports.

You will see no anomalies, so long as that airport's elevation has been correctly set by its developer.

Thanks, John for your reply. 

However, when I let the installer do it’s thing automatically it never looks right. I end up with trees on runways or houses in rivers. I’m running a decent PC but I’ve never gotten the results I see posted in screenshots or the ads by Orbx. The other issue has been uninstalling all of the Orbx products: they don’t seem to ever actually get deleted from the PC. 

I paid a lot of money for the products and was hoping I might be able to use them in P3D but out of fear for messing up the sim and my addons it’s probably best if I do not install ORBX. I had thought of installing it to another SSD drive but that would mean more money and unless I knew for sure that would yield great results it looks like I’m out of luck.

Thanks again to all for your responses. 

7 hours ago, PC Pilot said:

I end up with trees on runways or houses in rivers. I’m running a decent PC but I’ve never gotten the results I see posted in screenshots or the ads by Orbx

Have you experienced this recently? Orbx Central is a lot more reliable than FTX Central 3 was.

After installing products, you should then review the order using the "insertion point" tool to ensure everything is ordered correctly.

7 hours ago, PC Pilot said:

The other issue has been uninstalling all of the Orbx products: they don’t seem to ever actually get deleted from the PC.

In Orbx Central, there are two options for installing your products: into the simulator (ala FTXC3), or into a "library".

Orbx Central libraries make use of Prepar3D's add-on packaging system. If you install all your products to a library, your simulator's files won't be touched (excluding terrain.cfg, scenery.cfg, add-ons.cfg, but you can back them all up first). All your products will be installed into that library folder, and you can either delete them via the Orbx Central interface, or just delete the folder within the library:

image.png

This is a no risk way to install Orbx products. If your simulator ends up broken, just delete the library and it will be back to a pre-Orbx state.

Many thanks, Ben. 

Past experience has been with FSX and P3D v3. Because of past experiences with Orbx I use FSX as a test in order to keep my P3D v4 from getting messed up. I’m afraid to install my Orbx products to P3D v4 for fear of irrevocably changing the simulator. When I installed to FSX a few months ago the same issues were present as before. 

I may attempt to load the Orbx products to a separate drive now that you’ve explained how to uninstall it. 

How much space is required for the basic products?

I currently have Global Base, Global Vector, Global open LC North America, and Trees HD. If I can get things to work correctly I’d like to purchase other regions. 

Regards

Another follow up point:

What is the correct order?  I’m assuming I would need to know that when using the ‘insertion point’ tool. 

BTW, I purchased an additional HD to install all of my Orbx purchases. Hopefully I can get it all working and enjoy the graphics aka eye candy. 

• Ben McClintock changed the title to Orbx Central legacy layering
On 12/20/2019 at 5:28 AM, Ben McClintock said:

It's worth noting that Mitch's solution above would have resolved your issue with Orbx Central (turning off Legacy Layering and then selecting your add-on.xml installed scenery in the insertion point tool)

I Tried this and it was no different, still put sceneries in the wrong place i'e below addon xml products , also still didn't fix all the missing auto gen.

15 hours ago, R Smith said:

I Tried this and it was no different, still put sceneries in the wrong place i'e below addon xml products , also still didn't fix all the missing auto gen.

Oh you tried it again? Since new updates? I’ve been on FTX Central 3 since I had that issue and I still haven’t tried to use ORBX Central 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2020 at 11:45 AM, Navigator16 said:

Oh you tried it again? Since new updates? I’ve been on FTX Central 3 since I had that issue and I still haven’t tried to use ORBX Central 

No i had tried before, reinstalling via FTX Central fixed my auto gen, ORBX central is causing the issue.

Archived