UP in the valley.

olderndirt

1 minute ago, olderndirt said:

Life itself is magic - how's the cold snap doing down in Georjah?

After who knows how many months of insufferable, humid heat, I'm absolutely loving the cold weather. Hiking is terrific, carry less water, no mosquitoes, don't overheat, can actually hike instead of staying in the air conditioning, I wish it was like this longer.  As it is, and with 28 years past experience OND, it'll be hot enough to lay out in the sun in February.

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

After who knows how many months of insufferable, humid heat, I'm absolutely loving the cold weather. Hiking is terrific, carry less water, no mosquitoes, don't overheat, can actually hike instead of staying in the air conditioning, I wish it was like this longer.  As it is, and with 28 years past experience OND, it'll be hot enough to lay out in the sun in February.

You have to be tough to live in the South - what it was like before air conditioning is hard to imagine.  We lived for three years in Florida after retiring from Alaska.  My mother in law's care was our motivation - the best I can say is people need to live where they need to.  I'm glad Martyn and his brother got to visit Alaska - it'd be your kind of country during the summer but it's pretty demanding during winter months.  Not just temperatures and weather but seriously short periods of daylight tend to get us old folks down.

1 minute ago, olderndirt said:

You have to be tough to live in the South - what it was like before air conditioning is hard to imagine.  We lived for three years in Florida after retiring from Alaska.  My mother in law's care was our motivation - the best I can say is people need to live where they need to.  I'm glad Martyn and his brother got to visit Alaska - it'd be your kind of country during the summer but it's pretty demanding during winter months.  Not just temperatures and weather but seriously short periods of daylight tend to get us old folks down.

Lived in Boise for five years, the five best years on my life.  When I hike in the heat I often think about the guys in the Civil War.  They wore wool, had to walk through brambles, poison ivy, copperhead and rattlers, and in the oppressive heat.

If I win the lottery I'm going back to Idaho, so looks like I'm stuck here.

47 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

44 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Lived in Boise for five years, the five best years on my life.  When I hike in the heat I often think about the guys in the Civil War.  They wore wool, had to walk through brambles, poison ivy, copperhead and rattlers, and in the oppressive heat.

If I win the lottery I'm going back to Idaho, so looks like I'm stuck here.

I am so glad I made it to the States. Everywhere we went was appealing for different reasons apart from Houston but we didn't spend enough time there so I shouldn't judge the place.

I know I sound mad but I would love to spend just one winter in Alaska to see the snow, darkness and feel the cold. Knowing my luck it would be the warmest, snowyless winter ever if I got to do it. Two out if three ain't bad!:)

Archived