No Power, You're Grounded,

YAMBA1

About half way  through a transaction to buy ORBX Honolulu , The power got off !  So in  a nut shell,   no Honolulu, no computer, no TV, no coffee (Electric kettle) no walk outside (it's dark), no sleeping ( I need my CPAP machine for that) , no reading ( the flickering of the  candle hurts my eyes) and definitely  no bumpa bumpa ( I am to old for that) 

The positive side to this story has  momentarily save  me  a few  dollars  , Honolulu will now have to wait.  

May I ask what do you do  when the power goes off ..... ?

Cheers 

Charles 

I have been in many places around the globe without power. It's not really much of an issue for me. I almost always have a headlamp or flashlight of some sort available, so I can read, open up a cold one, pull out my camping coffee pot and make some coffee on the stove, or outside over my fire pit. Make some phone calls to people I have not talked to in awhile, go for a drive somewhere. There are many things one can do without power. If all else fails, go hang out with the neighbors who are without power and swap stories, talk about how hard it used to be, complain about your favorite sport team or hated politicians. Much to do. :) 

If it's hot, then we stay home and swelter. If it's cold, we stay home and freeze. Always found the sub-zero outages the hardest, especially if they went on for a week or more. Can't imagine what it's like to live where the whole infrastructure has been destroyed by weather or war.

Beside Rob who does camp like in the 1830  Many of us  still need to have the phone  fully charged  and a WIFI connection!  I think we are a doomed Gen without power and only the most resourceful ones will survive!

8 minutes ago, YAMBA1 said:

Beside Rob who does camp like in the 1830  Many of us  still need to have the phone  fully charged  and a WIFI connection!  I think we are a doomed Gen without power and only the most resourceful ones will survive!

I also camp like Rob actually. When it comes to camping and being in the outdoors, I am very much a minimalist. Very small tent, sleep on the ground (in all seasons), wood fire, phone is turned off and put away (available for emergency use only), lots and lots of hiking through the woods and mountains. Blame it on my 20 plus years as a Light Infantryman, but the closer to the ground I am and less electronics, the more comfortable I feel in the outdoors.  

I turn on the backup generator and continue with the modern life.  The only issue is that a general power outage usually brings the internet down. With LED lights and gas appliances you don't need much electric power to survive in comfort. I'm happy with the primitive life, but my wife is not.

42 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

I also camp like Rob actually.

42 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

the closer to the ground I am and less electronics, the more comfortable I feel in the outdoors.  

Nice  to hear that . I wish  I could  have been like that. I need my comfort. and as I get  older  I need it even  more . Although with my wife,  we did  some wild  camping in very desolated  country, away from any civilisation , but that was many moons ago. But real  question is : Today, how long  could we sustain that way of life before desperation sets in?  

1 hour ago, Sniper31 said:

I also camp like Rob actually. When it comes to camping and being in the outdoors, I am very much a minimalist. Very small tent, sleep on the ground (in all seasons), wood fire, phone is turned off and put away (available for emergency use only), lots and lots of hiking through the woods and mountains. Blame it on my 20 plus years as a Light Infantryman, but the closer to the ground I am and less electronics, the more comfortable I feel in the outdoors.  

Not so bad....lol.  This is by Trout Creek on the east side of Mt. Shasta, CA

Rendezvous10j.JPG.a0353bf104316439d693ab4cc5d843dd.JPG

It rarely, if ever happens but if it does we have torches and our Kindle Paperwhites and Kindle Fire to keep us occupied.  Then, of course, there's always moonlight and bed and an early night!

10 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Not so bad....lol.  This is by Trout Creek on the east side of Mt. Shasta, CA

Rendezvous10j.JPG.a0353bf104316439d693ab4cc5d843dd.JPG

My first thought was a French-Canadian fur trapper of old, circa 1700's :D And yes, what exactly IS going on with those pantaloons hanging in the background Rob? ^_^ 

if you have teenagers then I imagine a powercut might mean they have to talk to you, like we did in the old days...candles/torch, someway of making a brew, that's all I need really...at least I won't have to watch the news...

There's no way I could persuade my wife to camp out.  Had enough of that!   Hotels and room service for us these days wherever we might go!

Archived