KGEG to KSEA

olderndirt

The ageing FJS Q400 has received its final update.  I can reveal it really flies well on AP and the liveries look better.

Off Spokane International in a climbing turn westbound.

sposea1.png

Passing abeam the city of Wenatchee

sposea3.png

The Cascades in all their glory

sposea4.png

Nice piece of scenery

sposea5.png

Cleared to land - three four center.

sposea6.png

38 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice shots OND but every single time I see this plane I ask myself, what in the world were the designers thinking.

If that thing doesn't have some wonderful auto-trim, it's probably a real handful - wonder where the CG is. 

Great shots, and as you know I am addicted to the Majestic version of the Q400.  The trim is not automatic, it has to be applied manually and the result checked against the PFD bars, and on landing and take-off all trim must be set at neutral, so some rudder work is needed.  It is a handful and it nearly drove me mad(der),  but now I've got the hang of it, I feel quite smug; although I rarely get the centreline.

Unlike some modern jets, this aircraft is a genuine two-pilot exercise.

10 minutes ago, macca22au said:

Great shots, and as you know I am addicted to the Majestic version of the Q400.  The trim is not automatic, it has to be applied manually and the result checked against the PFD bars, and on landing and take-off all trim must be set at neutral, so some rudder work is needed.  It is a handful and it nearly drove me mad(der),  but now I've got the hang of it, I feel quite smug; although I rarely get the centreline.

Unlike some modern jets, this aircraft is a genuine two-pilot exercise.

A friend who flew for Markair, a fairly short lived Alaskan outfit told me when they moved to the longer 737 - their main concern was banging the tail by over rotation.  Wonder what he'd have said about the 'Q400'. 

OND:  I have reverted to my real world trick of just letting the plane fly itself off the runway.  I only steepen the climb when at about 100ft.  I know however in the real world the Q400 is flown off very short runways so a proper calculated, careful rotation would be required.

Archived