More XP Photoreal

Adam Banks

I've found that (in XP at least) the photoreal palette is a fair bit more saturated and contrasty when compared to regular non-photoreal scenery areas, so I've been fiddling with an xVision  preset that compensates. Here are some randoms:

The pilotless (!) Aerosoft ATR72-500 near Sheffield, TEGB:

02-ATR72-TEGB-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

Default XP Baron58 somewhere in TE Washington:

06-Baron58-TEW-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

JF C152:

JF-C152-TEW-02-1350.jpg?dl=1

07-JF-C152-TEW-04-1350.jpg?dl=1

For anyone that has XP11 and uses xVision, the preset can be found here.

Adam.

Adam

On my Laptop these look more matt than the standard settings. Mellowed out, which is fine as you are getting the 'pop' out of the ground colors & these are probably more realistic.

Particularly like what it does to the water/estuaries in the bottom 2 shots.

However, I sometimes wish Terra Flora would do XP veg or LR tweak it.

If you look at the 2nd shot , below the river, the trees don't look right. In front of the plane looks okay. 

I think its something to do with the tree structure , shot perspective & shadowing.

& not a reflection on your tweaking skills.

Trees are a bit of a bete noire for me:)

TTM

Yes - the "quadrantized" trees are looking a bit long in the tooth now. Not sure how they can be improved without a *massive* frame rate hit seeing as there's so many of them in the average landscape.

After having spent hours getting the settings OK for photoreal TE Washington, I'm finding they're a bit washed out for TE GB. Drat!!!

I think, at the end of the day, there are just too many variables and variations for these "core shader" style tweaks to cope with - and that a decent utility that does it all "on the fly" will have to be the answer. I've tried a few of the freeware ones and the REX offering, but I don't think any of them are quite stable enough yet. My sim often just ends up looking a total mess, with no easy way of getting back to default (without restarting the sim, that is).

Archived