Not today

VH-KDK

Flying over Ben Nevis which at 4411ft is the highest point in the UK.

One of the translations of Beinn Nibheis is "Mountain with its head in the clouds."

yRDG33T.jpg

Unlike when I visited Fort William in 1972 and the mountain lived up to it's name, today is perfectly clear.

How far past Fort William did you go?  Drove all the way past GlennFinnan out to Malaig one day and had to turn back 'cause they cancelled the ferry to Skye.  We had hotel reservations in Broadford on Skye and didn't want to lose them.  Turned left at Fort William up to Invergarry then northwest to Kyle of LochAlsh - crossedt the bridge and signed in on time.  We had a little rented Ford Fiesta that was made for those highland roads.

Did that run in 1958,.. Only got about half way from the village on Loch Awe where we were staying.. The road?? was basically a single car wide, and  if you met someone coming the other way, one or the other had to reverse to a passing point (these were few and far between) Would not have missed it for the world though..Terry.

44 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

How far past Fort William did you go?  Drove all the way past GlennFinnan out to Malaig one day and had to turn back 'cause they cancelled the ferry to Skye.  We had hotel reservations in Broadford on Skye and didn't want to lose them.  Turned left at Fort William up to Invergarry then northwest to Kyle of LochAlsh - crossedt the bridge and signed in on time.  We had a little rented Ford Fiesta that was made for those highland roads.

Just to Fort William and then to Inverness. I was on a but trip as I didn't have a license then and it was a good way for me to see the beautiful country.

I never went to the Islands which was a shame. You didn't want a big car there did you and it was a different world for me to see the single roads with passing places.:o

I can remember hiring a Fiesta in 1981, to take a friend down to Newport from Eastleigh for the day to the passport office.     I got home that night and I have never been so tired after a drive.:-  Not a car for distance high speed travel!:o

I don't know if we were unlucky but I have never met such a miserable bunch of people as there were in Newport. :(I had always found the Welsh and the Scots very friendly. Maybe where all the unhappy people are sent.:lol:

30 minutes ago, teecee said:

Did that run in 1958,.. Only got about half way from the village on Loch Awe where we were staying.. The road?? was basically a single car wide, and  if you met someone coming the other way, one or the other had to reverse to a passing point (these were few and far between) Would not have missed it for the world though..Terry.

Yes Terry, the passing points were something new to me as well. I loved Scotland and went three years running for my summer holidays when I was young. Beautiful countryside and people!:)

5 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That's a great shot Martyn and something I did not know, only 4411 feet, I could climb that no sweat.  I would love to climb it, is it allowed?  Brasstown Bald here in Georgia is the highest at 4784 feet or 1458 meters.

Thanks Jack. There is a walking track to the top and I thought of you when I was flying over Ben Nevis and how it would be great to do a hike up the mountain together.:)

It can be treacherous with the changing weather and there are deaths up there from various causes including old gits like me not accepting they are to old to do such climbing and having the ticker give out!:lol:

Just now, VH-KDK said:

Thanks Jack. There is a walking track to the top and I thought of you when I was flying over Ben Nevis and how it would be great to do a hike up the mountain together.:)

It can be treacherous with the changing weather and there are deaths up there from various causes including old gits like me not accepting they are to old to do such climbing and having the ticker give out!:lol:

Dang, that's not good.  But it must be quite a sight from the top.

Just now, Jack Sawyer said:

Dang, that's not good.  But it must be quite a sight from the top.

I reckon it would be a fantastic sight all around but first you have to get a clear day.

No hiking in 90°F weather with 95% humidity either!:)

I imagine it would be safer than Ayres Rock as the path up to the top is quite narrow with a drop either side.

35 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Yes Terry, the passing points were something new to me as well. I loved Scotland and went three years running for my summer holidays when I was young. Beautiful countryside and people!:)

We did ours in 2000 so things had come a long way since '58 and yet, they can add roads and all the folderal we apparently can't live without but it still looks the same - as it should.

2 hours ago, macca22au said:

Martyn, a really evocative shot, thank you.

Many thanks Ian.

One of the things I like the most is hearing about how places and planes can bring back memories from the past.:)

Archived