Pet hates about Flight Simming

18 minutes ago, JohnY said:

Don't you just love it when having flown five hundred enjoyable miles the Air Traffic Controller directs you into the side of a mountain on Final Approach?!!!

Savvy air traffic controllers do that all the time. It's a practical solution to overcrowding of the traffic .

There are plenty of airplanes,and loads of potential passengers.

The biggest problem I noted in my flying career was the shortage of mountains caused by the irrational placement and movements of the tectonic plates.

Hope this helps explain the situation you're up against.

On 4/7/2019 at 6:50 AM, JohnY said:

Don't you just love it when having flown five hundred enjoyable miles the Air Traffic Controller directs you into the side of a mountain on Final Approach?!!!

Obviously you didn't get what he meant by 'Final' approach.

There's no way  have of knowing the 'correct' altitude of a mountain if I don't even know its there Reecemj.    What was so annoying was that the airport is in the centre of a quite wide  valley with the runway running paralell to it but instead of directing me along it they had me coming across the mountain to make a right turn on final down to the runway.

Damn stupid!

Thanks lawrence.  At least you've given me a giggle.

Flying in to Queenstown the other night my FMC/STAR flew me straight in to the side of a mountain in pitch black.  I didn't have time to pull up.  Of course it was my own fault for not first confirming all aspects of the approach and for completing the approach for the first time at night.  It seems to be one of those approaches that switches to visual near the airport, and a tricky one at that.  I would like to learn how to fly it correctly, according to the charts.  For one the approach is not meant to be flown at night apart from in an emergency.

On 4/18/2019 at 9:18 PM, JohnY said:

Trust you to make a joke of it Matthew! (Laughing) - cos' I can't get the emoji's to work on my posts here)

My old cat Kennedy which was a big stubborn male tabby used to always fall asleep around my feet or rudder pedals, and jump when I would use the pedals after long periods of inactivity. Would startle me as well. He was a great cat though.

Now we just have a blind old dog that walks in circles all day, but she is a happy dog

You should find the Emoji button on the top of the text interface where the little happy face is. ORBX has a small selection of them

You can also bring an emoji in from outside by simply copying it and pasting. If it is too big, some will allow you to click on them to display the frame-box, then go to a corner and drag inward to reduce size.

e5294e9fffbafa212eff2e40211f359e.jpg

Thanks Rodger.  For me emoji's represent a dilemma.  They shouldn't really be necessary but I have to admit they do save words in expressing feelings.

By the way I tried that and it really wasn't successful.  They ended up with a black background.

I do know that Matthew but for me it packed up working long ago.  Like me!

Goodness me.  I thought I was the only one Ian.  I can get it down on the runway.  Stopping it is the problem!  The thing is its nice to fly and the all practically unlimited vision is great.

On 4/7/2019 at 9:50 AM, JohnY said:

Bad choice of words I would say. :D

Archived