The elephant in the room

Ray Farrugia

Hi folks

Reading JVs ORBX history and for future musings he mentions 'Vulkan' rendering and VR etc. Looking at HighFlyers videos around AFS2 and achieving 120fps at 4k resolutions etc I thought I'd take another look.

I have had AFS2 since it was released. I thought initially that its too early - things aren't quite right - mainly with water and AI but....with ORBX now planning to release regions as well as airports already in the mix, I'm thinking things are going to change - and maybe quickly.

This sim is astonishing (or modern!) in it what it can do. Scenery basically loads instantly - no more of that loading bar stuck at 6% and changing from day to night is well - instant.

Reflections and textures on some of the aircraft are lovely and of course in VR - well my goodness.

Are we seeing the end of the ubiquitous EPS platform? Despite what LM are doing? I know we've been saying it for a long time now. Some of the shots I see of X-Plane in this forum has my jaw on the floor!

When ORBX releases Netherlands TE for AFS2 I'll be heading there and, maybe I'll need to start thinking about some sort of exit/migration strategy.

Wondering what people are thinking?

cheers

Ray

SSBaSiB.jpg

3hfeSyN.jpg

Yes Ray, just what direction to take is a very hard decision.

Coming from a remote country, a remote area within that country makes decisions even harder.  I would give anything to see AFS2 through the VR glasses as that no doubt would make my mind up instantly, going on what people have written about the breath-taking scenery through VR.

I really don't know what path to concentrate on.  I'll just wait and see and keep reading I think.

Regards,

Jim.

Jay109 - I haven't had any performance reduction. I have a GTX 1070 8GB graphics card.

AFS2's development is real slow but I find it rewarding. With each update there's always something big or small that adds more depth to the sim. IPACS are very focused on making sure each feature is high quality.  For now AFS2 is great for VFR and because of that I'll probably spend more time in the AFS2 TrueEarth regions.

I also personally enjoy flying the A320 and Q400 in the current DLC areas, and when ATC is implemented it shall be more fun. #

With the TE regions coming out for AFS2 they will provide a good opportunity to assess the different platforms.

Thanks Guy's for keeping this a non sim war discussion. As Ashley reminds us....Orbx is in love with all simulators! So as long as we can keep encouraging others and not criticizing their choices, we can keep this discussion going.  We all know there are other forums where we can engage in sim wars.  :)

Cheers

Doug

Thx to all for the considered responses.

agreed Doug this is not about the platform - we all have personal preferences.

Choices about where to spend as ORBX expands its product range are getting a little more complex - and that's a great thing!!

cheers

Ray

On 8/12/2018 at 3:26 AM, Doug Sawatzky said:

Thanks Guy's for keeping this a non sim war discussion

I so agree and I really don't know why it end up as a sim  war???

JV last post on the TE Netherland kind of shook me, in a good way, I mean I forgot that P3D was their main platform... and he clearly explained that this is where they get their money (not in those worlds :D)

I have to be honest that my last purchase at ORBX was Gold Coast.

It was fine with simple plane or heli but with the bigger bird my rig was struggling... badly.
Of course it's summer here and I have other hobby, for now I don't really have the loose money to upgrade my rig so for now it's some quick fun in AF2.

Maybe I'm a lite simmer after all :)

But like Ray stated, it's hard to not miss the beautiful side of AF2.. and the light-speed fast loading. It take second to completely change  location/airport, same goes for night to day.

So my nest purchase will be TE Netherland for AF2

Cheers, Ben

I purchased AF2 a couple of months ago (quite a download, but I succeeded) and I think the graphics and smoothness are superb. 

But I see it as a game, not a simulator  - yet.

For example I have yet to find a way to start at a gate (which lets you "simulate" the taxi to take-off); I cannot create saved scenarios; and I cannot "slew" (which would be one way to get to a gate start-up).  If anyone has any suggestions to overcome these limitations I would appreciate their advice.

At the moment AF2 is on the back-burner I look forward to AF2 upgrades which improve the simulator aspects of this rather remarkable software. 

Nigel

Vancouver

• 3 weeks later...

I think I can contribute to this discussion as I own all the three 64-bit sims..

1. AFS2 is great for VFR and VR and it will remain that way for many years to come.. their dev team is too small and too slow with the updates and they admit that they're not keenly competing with the other big players.. they have their own road map and timelines.. many key things are missing in AFS2 - mainly nothing is alive - no real water, no car traffic, no cloud shadows, AI traffic, etc.. when you start adding all these things & throw in a complex airliner, then the fps will drop from 120 to 40 or 50.. still pretty good for VR simming.. but it will take a loooong time before the likes of Activesky, UTlive and PMDG set foot in AFS2 land.. so i use that sim only for VFR in VR.. no other sim is as VR ready as AFS2..

When I opened a (very civil) thread comparing aspects of different platforms a few months ago, to which even JV himself contributed, that whole thread was deleted because of an amended forum rule, according to which "criticism, comparisons and adverse comments about other developers' products, including flight simulators are not allowed."

I had to accept that rule, but decided to resign from the forum since.

Kind regards, Michael

Hello Michael,

kind of you to come back and remind me of the rule.

I have cleaned out the comparative answers that unevitably have crept in.

It does not seem to have affected the quality of their content.

The subject of the topic is Aerofly FS 2 which means that there needs to be

no mention of any other simulator.

Your other topic had degenerated into a wide range of subjects that had nothing

to do with "Are FSX's days numbered?" which in itself is not up for discussion in

these forums. There are plenty of other forums where this is discussed ad nauseam.

Now that the Netherland for AF2 as been release, and I bought it... it's a game changer.  I have never seen anything like that.. ever.

120FPS in a photo-real scenery... with my old rig! no OOM, no lag, no stutters (well not much)...

Wow

Ben

On 8/12/2018 at 2:17 AM, Ray Farrugia said:

This sim is astonishing (or modern!) in it what it can do. Scenery basically loads instantly - no more of that loading 

Are we seeing the end of the ubiquitous EPS platform? Despite what LM are doing? I know we've been saying it for a long time now. Some of the shots I see of X-Plane in this forum has my jaw on the floor!

SSBaSiB.jpg

3hfeSyN.jpg

Don know why my reply got deleted but its kinda strange that the OP can say the above, but everyone elsen just mention LM the post gets removed. I wasnt trying to start a sim war, i just shared my personal expirience and said i moved forward, I kinda just replied the op on the subject «is it the end of ESP platform, despite what LM is doing»

5 hours ago, vin747 said:

many key things are missing in AFS2 - mainly nothing is alive - no real water

IPACS, quote:  "Here is a good shot showing off our 'first time seen in Aerofly FS2' 3D water, along with some onlookers admiring one of the manatee. Well not fully and not just yet. We only gave you a taste of what Aerofly FS 2 can do by adding it around Fort Jefferson."

https://www.aerofly.com/community/index.php?media/253-manatee-jpg/

Archived