Bill and Ben go visiting on a Short flight.

VH-KDK

Those in the UK who used to watch Wednesday lunch time TV in the 50s and early 60s will remember Bill and Ben.

1.0Tig5MM.jpg

Departing KAAT Alturas CA on the Pitt River.

2.3X7wkok.jpg

Big Sage Reservoir.

3.545U3cR.jpg.

Approaching The Cleveland National Forest and Border Mountain.

4.2R4wary.jpg

Close to Shotgun Peak are what appear to be lava flows. Note the cone under the starboard wing.

5.8INSanl.jpg

At Stephen's Butte we get a first view of Mount Shasta.

6.iqKo6fN.jpg

Piccadilly Ridge in the Klamath NF.

7.WUXp4wW.jpg

Mount Shasta is at the southern end of the Cascade Range and is a potentially active volcano. At 14,179ft it is the second highest peak in the Cascade Range.

8.PJpegQJ.jpg

Mount Shasta Black Butte and Mount Eddy, the highest peak in the Trinity Mountains, are visible here as we drop down into Weed(Ob ob!).

9.HBgoOAK.jpg

Approaching O46 Weed with China Mountain and Bonnet Rock part of the Klamath Mountain System.

10.KX16cp3.jpg

Weed's city motto is "Weed like to welcome you." Interstate 5 is also seen here.

11.ubnxzu4.jpg

Getting ready to land, after making a big hash of the landing I had to cheat and do another circuit. I still find the lag in turbo props very hard to manage.

12.uQGo2av.jpg

A beautiful touch down second time around.

A very picturesque part of California here. I may do some more flights around here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_Pot_Men

That was EXCELLENT Martyn!  I especially liked Mt. Shasta!  And what a terrific narrative, most enjoyable, especially Weed like to welcome you!  How cool is that?  

Let me ask you something?  Usually I just fly in a straight line, Orbx to Orbx.  Do you just take off and explore and meander?  I need to do more of this.

Ooaugh, flob-a-lob! Weeeed!

(I think that's how it went, at least, that's how I remember it)

Just popped in to check things out. Got a new knee and needs to settle in a bit before I'm comfortable back in this chair. See y'all later.

1 minute ago, andy1252 said:

Ooaugh, flob-a-lob! Weeeed!

(I think that's how it went, at least, that's how I remember it)

Just popped in to check things out. Got a new knee and needs to settle in a bit before I'm comfortable back in this chair. See y'all later.

I remember it as ...eeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr, cough cough if you catch my meaning. :)

And Andy, a new knee, I need one too after my right knee meniscus revision of a couple of years ago, but am too chicken to do it.  I hope you recover soon and I'll be thinking of you my friend!

Excellent narration and photos of your “trip” Martyn! :rolleyes:  If my memory serves me correctly this is not your first trip to that little community!  At least I remember someone going there (to Weed) sometime back! B)

8 hours ago, lifejogger said:

I have never seen Bill and Ben, where I grew up we watched Lee & Lionel.  Super shots and flight, enjoyed the narration.

Thank you John, you haven't ever lived if you missed Bill and Ben.:o

Wow Martyn fantastic set of screen shots and  brought back wonderful memories of my childhood may years ago  and I really enjoyed watch one again

I very often in the past thought  of bill and ben and little weed I was about 7 years old then  just 60 years ago now thanks again Martyn regards EMM

Archived