Oy mate. What English you speakin'?

Hi all. Years ago, I spent several consecutive years in Asia then another term in Turkey. I finally had a chance to head back into English-speaking territory on a trip to London. At the airport, I got on the bus to town and settled back to listen to English being spoken again. The two men behind me were chattering away, only they were Cockneys and I couldn't understand one word of what they said.

The Old Coots forum includes participants from all over the English speaking world. My question is, could we understand each other if we gathered in one place? (I speak mid-American.) 

"51 years in $#&** Oz and I still have my &*##@*! Scottish accent tempered with the *&&%*##@ Australian/Profanity that Pat Cox (%&$##$Aussieman) talks about.

Cheers....Derek"

Good to hear good honest "strine" again..  Onya Blue..Teecee.

Having been born within the sound of Bow Bells, and spent all my boyhood in West Ham (a stone's throw from Bow) I'm a fully paid up Cockney.

Anyone who's speaking for what passes as cockney is having you on!  We all speak 'ordinary' and only occasionally use the so-called cockney slang.

So...Gor bimey, don't go one abouuut i'.

John

Archived