Photoreal and seasons

yanlaoge

Now Orbx is bringing photoreal to the next generation, there naturally arises the problem of seasonal change and file size. I can live happily with just one season, but I understand many people hate to see exuberant green everywhere in winter. It would also be hard to imagine the whole of Germany coming with 4 sets of season, which would explode our hard disk pretty soon, and decrease the acceptance of the beautiful photoreal.  So I'd suggest a compromise: why not just make two seasons, summer (or spring) and winter. It won't be that big, and it can be accepted by all. Surely people wouldn't mind seeing green in spring, summer, and autumn?

Or you make an option in ftx central where you are able to choose your prefered season. Then it downloads and installs it in your sim. If you want to change the season, you download a new one via ftx central which will replace the current one. I know this isn't an optimal solution for people with slow internet connections but acctually you only have to change the season 4-5 times a year.

25 minutes ago, AIRJUNEAU said:

Or you make an option in ftx central where you are able to choose your prefered season. Then it downloads and installs it in your sim. If you want to change the season, you download a new one via ftx central which will replace the current one. I know this isn't an optimal solution for people with slow internet connections but acctually you only have to change the season 4-5 times a year.

Good idea. Orbx can even sell the different seasons separately. This goes well with the current "on demand" commercial mode.

Download time wouldn't be much a problem as the bandwidth is growing year by year.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

before continuing with this speculative discussion, perhaps you might properly read

the product announcement for the Netherlands and then wait for its release.

Thanks.

We know Netherlands have 5 seasons, but it's 85,000 km2. Germany is 357,376km, and we'd love to see UK, France, Norway, or even US and Australia. We love your scenery so much that we really care about its future. It would not be meaningless to have some discussion about it.

Hello,

discussion is probably fine, what we have here is a number of assertions, based on speculation

and solutions suggested for a problem that does not so far exist.

Once the Netherlands product is finished and released, at least there will be a reference point from

which to start a discussion of facts instead of guesswork.

The one has a purpose, the other has none.

56 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

discussion is probably fine, what we have here is a number of assertions, based on speculation

and solutions suggested for a problem that does not so far exist.

Once the Netherlands product is finished and released, at least there will be a reference point from

which to start a discussion of facts instead of guesswork.

The one has a purpose, the other has none.

It's not difficult to calculate the size of the photoreal scenery. Orbx Innsbruck LOWI is 3.13gb download for an area of 2500km. Germany Central photoreal (only the central area of Germany) from another party is 28gb. And it's just one season. It's easy to do the math. The size of the photoreal texture is constant, and there is no magic, but we can find a balance between size and quality.

Don't forget to factor in; 

1. LOWI is multi-resolution, with large chunks at double or quadruple the resolution of Netherlands.

2. Photoreal is not a constant size, it is affected by compression ratio, colour diversity, blend and masking maps. 

3. Whilst they represent the majority of a projects' size, photoreal is not the only component of a scenery. 30% of LOWI's hard drive footprint is unrelated to the PR bgls. 

We're not trying to obfuscate the issue; Netherlands is still a work in progress and we just don't know what the final file size is yet. Once we do, that info will be passed on to you guys :) Of course it's going to be large, but don't forget, so is every other region and OLC/Global product. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Focus your attention on @Jarrad Marshall's statement "...Of course it's going to be large, but don't forget, so is every other region and OLC/Global product."

Certainly the developers will not do something with such a size as to render it useless by the average user ... will they? I think they are taking all these variables into account.
So let's wait a little longer, for more information that will surely come.;)

2 hours ago, Jarrad Marshall said:

Don't forget to factor in; 

1. LOWI is multi-resolution, with large chunks at double or quadruple the resolution of Netherlands.

2. Photoreal is not a constant size, it is affected by compression ratio, colour diversity, blend and masking maps. 

3. Whilst they represent the majority of a projects' size, photoreal is not the only component of a scenery. 30% of LOWI's hard drive footprint is unrelated to the PR bgls. 

We're not trying to obfuscate the issue; Netherlands is still a work in progress and we just don't know what the final file size is yet. Once we do, that info will be passed on to you guys :) Of course it's going to be large, but don't forget, so is every other region and OLC/Global product. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Thank you Jarrad for the information. Actually I don't care much about the size myself. I can happily accept 30GB for Netherlands and 100GB for UK, as long as they are the quality as shown in your preview. I bring this topic up because I love your new photoreal direction so much that I wish it more and more, and I see other people worrying about the size, and the possible lack of seasonal change for large areas because of it, thus I offer some possibilities. Ryan's suggestion of separate seasonal download through FTX Central certainly looks interesting. More possibility should always be better, and the discussion can make our time of waiting less difficult.

Releasing large photoreal regions with only two seasonal variations seems like a decent compromise to me. Personally, I am more than happy with only summer season textures, but I appreciate that others like to have realistic winter textures for that time of the year. Having said that, I will purchase the True Earth versions of the United Kingdom, Ireland and the Netherlands irrespective of how many seasons they include, or how much disk space is required.

The ORBx stand at the Cosford 2018 Flightsim Show will probably be swamped this year. I hope you guys are prepar3d ;)

• 1 month later...

Netherlands TrueEarth is out, and we have a real sense of the size of the Photoreal scenery, and I feel the topic I started here has got more sense now.

A simple calculation: Netherlands is 72GB download. UK is 6 times the size of Netherlands. It's likely UK will be 420GB download. I have a 30MB fiber connection and I am fine with that, but I am uncertain how many people can handle that download. 

I am not against the new photoreal + accurate placement of autogen. On the contrary, this is my dream come true. I wish it success so much that I'd love to see any obstacles removed for it.

So my question is down to this: If you have to choose, which will you prefer, 420GB for 4 seasons, or 210GB for 2 season?

Netherlands is 72gb. Anything else is just speculation and guess work and I dont really think its helpful to anybody to throw around figures that nobody knows yet. 

I find the question posed at the end far to limiting, my preference would be the option to install one season at a time, as like you download speed isn't an issue. My personal preference is to fly using real time, date and weather in the northern hemisphere, so I only ever need one season installed every 3 months(ish). However everyone has there own preferences and also their own storage capacity, download speeds and wallet to think of as well.

Personally I think the more options the better, but ultimately Orbx will choose what is right for them as well as the user base.  

4 hours ago, riverreveal said:

Netherlands is 72gb. Anything else is just speculation and guess work and I dont really think its helpful to anybody to throw around figures that nobody knows yet. 

I find the question posed at the end far to limiting, my preference would be the option to install one season at a time, as like you download speed isn't an issue. My personal preference is to fly using real time, date and weather in the northern hemisphere, so I only ever need one season installed every 3 months(ish). However everyone has there own preferences and also their own storage capacity, download speeds and wallet to think of as well.

Personally I think the more options the better, but ultimately Orbx will choose what is right for them as well as the user base.  

Yes I agree.  A customizable download of different seasons would be great. 

Archived