OpenLC for remaining regions

ArturAir

• 1 month later...

Africa seems to be the forgotten continent in the flight sim community. Why?!? Africa is the world's second largest and second most-populous continent (the first being Asia in both categories), and probably one of the continents in world, except Oceania, that is most dependent on air traffic.

Very weird.  Some time back JV posted that Orbx had developed a process by which the OpenLC programs would be completed faster than before.  Seems like they're going slower instead.  Feels like I've been waiting for Africa forever.  

There was also talk about having Vector type data built in in newer versions of OLC. I would be happy if just the coastlines would be made to look more realistic than the sharp and straight lines of default scenery coastlines. Vector does a good job of the coasts but additional elevation data leads to complications which require AEC tool usage plateaus, troughs and water up hills and cliffs, building in the sea etc. Hence I no longer have Vector installed.

Hello,

your post contains some misconceptions.

"Buildings in the sea" are misplaced default coastal scenery objects,

left in the water when Vector corrects the coastline.

Sometimes there are whole "airports in the sea".

"troughs and water up hills and cliffs" do sometimes occur and the Vector developers

have sometimes corrected them. They are not widespread.

"additional elevation data leads to complications which require AEC tool usage plateaus"

applies only to add on airports and the AEC configuration tool is effective and easy to use.

I think that it is unlikely that an OLC product will include Vector data but anything is possible.

I am not aware of any promises in that respect.

Without a doubt, the virtual world outside Orbx regions is a far better looking place with Vector

installed and working than it is without it.

I have a number of bush flying programs that were made with no vector in mind.  So a couple days ago I decided to take vector out and see the difference.  No vector would eliminate the occasional scenery in the water and similar effects.  I happened to be flying a plan in the Aleutian islands at the time.  The difference was astounding.  The improvement with vector was incredible.  I decided to leave vector in. 

Vector isn't perfect.  My biggest beef is finding default water locations in remote areas of places like south America or Africa.  The excuse is a lack of data.  I understand that but there's no excuse for not "rounding" the water areas so they look better than default.  Even though outsiders made vector, it's being sold by Orbx and should uphold that quality.

Hello,

while you do have a point, there is a very very long awaited Vector 1.6 update due

which was originally intended to be released at the same time as Open LC South America.

While you don't seem to see the lack of data as an "excuse" I am given to understand

that the most recent enquiry to the Vector developers revealed that apparently the

improvements are having to be done manually.

I know nothing of how this is done but the sheer scale of the continent might suggest

that the task is huge.

I don't understand why you or anyone would want one inaccuracy replaced by another one,

rounded or not and I doubt that the Vector developers would settle for that either.

Nick, I understand what you're saying but don't agree.

Yes, it is a huge task to look at South America or Africa and make the water look nice.  I believe it wouldn't be even close to the task of making OpenLC.  Each continent could be done in a few weeks imo and should be done.

Why put rounded water on an area that is probably incorrect?  If the correct location isn't known, making the water look nicer should be done so it will look nicer.  That should be part of the vector product and is part of the vector product in many areas.  Really, I and pretty much everybody, would never know if the water is in the correct place or not.  

If Pilots is not capable of doing the job properly for Orbx, perhaps Orbx might consider alternatives.  

If correcting Vector detail is going to be done, best that it is done properly the first time, rather than put in fake data to 'look nicer' and then potentially re-doing it at a later date, or worse, leaving it incorrect.

Enough simmers complain about incorrect details in FS products as it is. Why would you release a product with problems? That way only lies trouble for ORBX and the developers.

@Nick Cooper is there any news regarding the "very very long awaited Vector 1.6 update"?
I would hope that it could be released at the same time as OLC Africa (with Africa and Middle East regions having also been worked upon).

Just to clarify, I suggest improving the looks of default data in some instances because it has been said there is no data available for those areas.  I don't suggest improving data that is known to be incorrect.  Obviously, if data is known to be incorrect, it should be corrected first.

I still believe it is better to make this unknown data water areas look nice than leaving them looking like default.  No doubt it will never happen.  It seems Pilots is unable even to come out with their overdue update let alone embark on an additional project..

" buildings in the sea are misplaced default coastal scenery objects".

I know they are but my point is that if you are making an addon as detailed in it's "correct/accurate" data as Vector is supposed to be, then surely you also need to correct the conflicts/issues that this "accuracy" causes to default objects. What is the point in having an accurate coastline definition if it leaves default buildings in the water? Either place them where they should be or mask them. I honestly believe that the concept of Vector could be one of the best addons, it is just that the product, in my view, has always appeared as unfinished, conflict inducing and the developers so slow in attending to reported issues that unfortunately I ended up in only seeing the flaws in it, rather than enjoying the good parts of it. It is too complex because of it's intention to make it absolutely accurate in all vector type detail that just don't sit well on flawed "default" base sim data. It is like it needs to actually change the details in the default sim data rather than try and "sit on top" of the default data.

Just my view:)

Hello,

I would agree with some of that, I was only pointing out that Vector itself

does not put buildings or airports in the sea.

Vector does what it says and corrects the coastlines, sometimes leaving

the Microsoft coastal features either in the sea from the land or from the sea

onto dry land.

The Vector developers have consistently taken the view that these anomalies

are not theirs to correct but you will have noted that Orbx has produced a good many 

revised coastal airports in response to customer observations.

It must be said that as a Global product, it might be too much to expect global corrections.

Drawing a comparison with the regions, which take months and sometimes years to develop

and make all the corrections, a fully corrected vector product would have been prohibitively

expensive and possibly not yet complete.

As to the subject of the topic, both South America and Africa feature some spectacular

inaccuracies and omissions in the default simulator in relation to virtually all the features,

mesh, airports, vector and landclass.

Open LC South America goes a very long way towards correcting the landclass and the developer

found that the default mesh was so lacking that he also provided the free South America mesh product.

As already stated, Pilot's were to have provided the enhanced Vector data which would have left only

airports and airfields to complete the set.

Hopefully, the Vector update to version 1.6 will still take place.

• 7 months later...

Archived