Fiji to Guadelcanal

Tailspin45

Climbing out of Nadi Int'l we enjoyed a view of Mana Island with its extraordinary reef and lagoon. I was tempted to roll the wheels on the airstrip, but horsing around with a four and half hour flight ahead didn't seem prudent.

XKajrV8.jpg

The weather was generally good and the aircraft behaved herself, so there's not much to say about the flight.

7gutiJx.jpg

Before long our wheels were rolling on lovely grass next to a paved runway at the Santo / Pekoa airport (NVSS). 

F9xq1JZ.jpg

Landed almost exactly on time planned. We even had a little help from tailwinds as promised by the weather guessers.

BV5BJJ9.jpg

I mentioned in a previous report that you could call me Tom Frum. That was in anticipation of meeting some members of the Vanuatu cargo cult. They've intrigued me since I first heard about them when I was a kid. Their god is John Frum, as in "Hi! I'm John from (unintelligible)". 

If you're not familiar with them read this Smithsonian article or watch this short video that also includes some vintage DC-3 and DC-6B footage (with awful sound effects)

Next leg is further northwest to Guadalcanal. I'm eager to get to Papua New Guinea, but couldn't bypass such a historic place. So press on...

Ecsju6i.jpg

YDODeiJ.jpg

And late in the day we hit a time warp and landed on historic Henderson Field looking like it might have in WW2 (freeware)

91jF6Y4.jpg

2SgGWml.jpg

Tomorrow Papua New Guinea. Expect to spend a lot of time there if Pago Pago is any indication of how much I'll enjoy the area.

Henderson Field, indeed a place with a significant historical relevance. Great to follow aour tour, Mr. Frum.

19 hours ago, Tailspin45 said:

Expect to spend a lot of time there if Pago Pago is any indication of how much I'll enjoy the area.

Oh, PNG will be much, much more of a pleasure, Though, maybe not suited for your trusty C-47...

Archived