Wales

Jack Sawyer

Flew from Welshpool, EGCW to Cardiff, EGFF in. my little Cherokee.  Weather was zero vis half the way but I checked real world weather and Cardiff was wide open.

6gjlhZO.jpg

MHF5nfr.jpg

DfqY2HY.jpg

xSz0sJ4.jpg

XG51VCf.jpg

Sd7mXff.jpg

il72r98.jpg

ntBy92D.jpg

o2ec7CZ.jpg

YCO8MOh.jpg

f6HjnBk.jpg

GsZzgig.jpg

5Nh48RY.jpg

jikIMdm.jpg

wRLfXR5.jpg

jjZ6ITG.jpg

Winds very strong, 23 knots out of 300 degrees so I made an ILS landing on runway 30.

94IuSYd.jpg

GtmllqL.jpg

2n6nKY1.jpg

At87paO.jpg

WGknvlZ.jpg

twy57VN.jpg

yN7hhsO.jpg

rEeobV0.jpg

XJCSApX.jpg

Hi Jack,

Yesterday I installed Wales as part of the season Sale and quickly saw that Cardiff was added as a separate airport.

I positioned myself at Cardiff's platform and it looked similar to your pictures.

Next time at my flightdeck I'll take a closer look...

B.t.w. ballooning in wintertime is a little fresh, isn't it?

Regards Fred

2 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Hi Jack,

Yesterday I installed Wales as part of the season Sale and quickly saw that Cardiff was added as a separate airport.

I positioned myself at Cardiff's platform and it looked similar to your pictures.

Next time at my flightdeck I'll take a closer look...

B.t.w. ballooning in wintertime is a little fresh, isn't it?

Regards Fred

Hi Fred, actually we did most of our flying in the winter because we need cold air.  The warmer the air is the hotter the air inside the balloon needs to be to lift it, which in turn could over temp the "envelope".  We dressed warm and when burning the flame was quite warm and toasty.  I miss it a lot.

Yeah, Cardiff surprised me that way too when I first installed it but it's a nice airport isn't it?

Wow....you did it on a regulary base, did you.

When I was young and attractive (now only the latter), my nickname was the 'polar bear' , but since I reached some age, I prefer sun and warmth :wub:

Yeah, Cardiff is nice. Europe is now complete, except Ireland and some airfields in the UK.

Fred

1 minute ago, Sundancer said:

Wow....you did it on a regulary base, did you.

When I was young and attractive (now only the latter), my nickname was the 'polar bear' , but since I reached some age, I prefer sun and warmth :wub:

Yeah, Cardiff is nice. Europe is now complete, except Ireland and some airfields in the UK.

Fred

Yes, I flew them in Boise, I lived there for five years.  It's very good for balloons because there's no trees in the area, only along the river where they were planted.  It's all desert scrub so you can land anywhere.  Down here in the Atlanta area, well, put it this way, when I flew here for my job and saw all the trees below I said to myself, there's no way you could fly a balloon here, way too many trees.  They have a "Race To The Sea" in Helen Georgia, but they fly from the trees to land on the beach.

We planned to visit Boise (ID) and surroundings this summer to see the total eclips (August 21th), but due to medical problems we had to cancel that holiday.....

So when you mentioned Boise, it immediately sound familiar to me.

1 minute ago, Sundancer said:

We planned to visit Boise (ID) and surroundings this summer to see the total eclips (August 21th), but due to medical problems we had to cancel that holiday.....

So when you mentioned Boise, it immediately sound familiar to me.

If you ever get the chance to go, in any season, it's a beautiful place.  I'd love to go back and live there.  If you like water and snow skiing, fishing, hiking, camping, hunting, it's all there, and very few people in the state.  Sorry to hear that you couldn't go, hopefully someday.

4 hours ago, stewart1 said:

Looks like you had a good flight in Wales where you looking for Paul and also you went inverted and not a yellow plane was that for Martyn for he likes Blue.

And you shots where super Jack regards stewart

Thanks Stewart!  I was just having fun, it's one of the very few British rego's planes I have.

49 minutes ago, Taph said:

Croeso Cymru Jack, don't forget to go for a pint of Brain's

Thanks Taph, but what does Croeso Cymru mean? 

22 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Excellent series of views Jack, there is plenty of picturesque scenery to go flying around Wales and you have chosen the right plane to do some serious exploring.:D

Thanks Martyn!  All I need to do is fly to Sumburgh and then it's on to other airports as I'm still checking them all but I might stay a little longer in the UK as it's nice and there's a lot of airports there.

2 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

As a non-English or non-Welsh native speaker I can tell you that it means "Welcome to Wales".

Well...how's that :blink:

Cheers Fred

Well very good Fred!  Thank you!  I've always loved those really long Welsh place names, I've always thought it was charming and quaint.  I hope they never change.

9 hours ago, adambar said:

Superb shots and flight Jack, nice job! :)

Thanks Adam!

4 hours ago, paulb said:

A super flight Jack! Great to see Wales featured! :)

Thanks Paul, never been there but it sure is beautiful!

4 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Lovely atmospheric shots, Jack, lots of nice subtle colour tones (apart from the paint job <grin>)

Thanks Andy!  I too like the Orbx fall color tones, quite different from the greens of spring and summer but I like them nonetheless because it looks so real.  Glad you like the livery, it was the only UK rego I had for this  plane.

7 minutes ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine set of shots 

cheers 

Iain 

Thank you Iain!

Archived