Maybe pigs can fly!

VH-KDK

I've seen this many times through the years on radomes.  They're fiberglass so they either dent in like this or shatter.  All depends on how fast they were going.  I could write a whole book of the stuff I've seen us repair.

One really stands out because it was so creepy.  A 737 got hit by maybe six seagulls on the left front part of the plane just aft of the radome, right below the pilot.  What was creepy was there was no real damage but the birds left ghostly imprints where they hit, the detail was amazing, right down to the feathers and the beaks.

And you should see what hail can do!  That was the most common, next most common was ground vehicles hitting the planes.  We were kept real busy.

Back in '56 while on a search and rescue mission looking for a couple of missing Airforce interceptors during a driving rain about 50 miles up Cheasepeake Bay when I heard a PBY Pilot call in for permission to head for the NAS Norfolk Seaplane Base.  

He said that they had hit a Buzzard which took out the co-pilots windshield, covered his co-pilot with blood and buzzard guts and they were taking on so much rainwater

that he was afraid that they would sink if he remained on station.  They made it back, hosed off his co-pilot and sent him to sickbay.

Listening to him call in and report that he had to stop flying because he was sinking was something that only a flying boat pilot would do,  It brought a little humor to an otherwise terrible day.

All in all, it was a horrible day for the Airforce.  They lost several  F86D's during that exercise.

It was to test their readiness to repel a mass bomber attack that SAC flew against the East Coast.    

Dale

5 hours ago, Gypsy Pilot said:

Back in '56 while on a search and rescue mission looking for a couple of missing Airforce interceptors during a driving rain about 50 miles up Cheasepeake Bay when I heard a PBY Pilot call in for permission to head for the NAS Norfolk Seaplane Base.  

He said that they had hit a Buzzard which took out the co-pilots windshield, covered his co-pilot with blood and buzzard guts and they were taking on so much rainwater

that he was afraid that they would sink if he remained on station.  They made it back, hosed off his co-pilot and sent him to sickbay.

Listening to him call in and report that he had to stop flying because he was sinking was something that only a flying boat pilot would do,  It brought a little humor to an otherwise terrible day.

All in all, it was a horrible day for the Airforce.  They lost several  F86D's during that exercise.

It was to test their readiness to repel a mass bomber attack that SAC flew against the East Coast.    

Dale

What an interesting story Dale, thanks for that.  I love stories like this.

Archived