Blurry textures //P3D V4.1 // LOWI

davidzill

I have a high end computer; 5.3ghz 7600K, two 1080 Ti SCs, 16GB DDR4, and a 2TB Samsung EVO M.2 PCIe SSD.  Attached are images indicating pretty horrible blurry textures at LOWI. I'm not sure of the root cause or if this is a known issue. 

2017-10-18_11-34-5-523.jpg

2017-10-18_11-34-6-740.jpg

2017-10-18_11-31-50-187.jpg

2017-10-18_11-31-48-653.jpg

8 hours ago, davidzill said:

I prefer 60, I’m able to run this scenery at 60 FPS easily. 24 is a painful crawl to watch

Hi,

For best results, the goal in flight simming is smoothness and quality, not FPS. I have found that P3Dv4 is smoother at lower FPS then any other sim I have experienced. :)

Cheers

Doug

So i’ve done a full-install of everything. I haven’t had time to check all Orbx sceneries yet, however  at  certain airports I’m getting a solid 60 FPS where I was getting a stutter 30-40 before. Im keeping my fingers crossed. I’m a huge fan of Orbx, but I have noticed multiple layers of scenery; Global base + open LC+ Global vector+ others such as Northern/Southern CA, Germany north/south, even high end CPUs struggle to load scenery in a timely fashion. I didn’t even notice blurries until I installed openLC/ vector/ and NCA and flew around San Francisco. It may not be a fault of Orbx; I had affinity mask set to 14. Now I have it off. May have been the root cause of blurries. 

28 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi,

For best results, the goal in flight simming is smoothness and quality, not FPS. I have found that P3Dv4 is smoother at lower FPS then any other sim I have experienced. :)

Cheers

Doug

I hear so many locking FPS at 30 to keep things smooth. What is the best way to do that? When I set the internal limiter it is no where near smooth. 

2 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Karsten,  Do you know why this is the case?  I'm using AM=14 in p3dv4 and haven't noticed any problems.

P3D is already optimized enough for multicore usage. When I made the switch from FSX I made the same mistake using the AM setting. I got blurries like crazy. After removing the parameter they vanished.

Forget counting FPS.  Quit being a "gamer" and start being a "simulator user" instead.

I can make the LOWI scenery go totally blurry too using slider settings maxed out and flying something like the F22 over it too fast.  The foundation of it is PHOTOREAL scenery which consists of HUGE file sizes that even the best hardware could not load and display fast enough if you are flying over it with maxed out sliders and flying too fast.  At the altitude shown in your photos, the scenery needs to load the highest resolution of the files, and it isn't doing that.

Load up a default airplane like the Beech or Mooney (or even a 3rd party Cessna 172 if you have one).  Fly around the scenery without your hair on fire (120 - 160 KTS airspeed) and see if the blurries still develop.  If no, there's your problem.  If yes, then you do have a different problem, but it is NOT the ORBX scenery.

Ok update: Yesterday I uninstalled all add-ons and deleted every instance of Prepar3d V4.1 from my HD. I did a full reinstall. Currently NO .cfg tweaks/entries, no NVidia control panel profile, no NVidia inspector profile. This includes no affinity mask=14 entry. Notably, I DID NOT install global vector, or any of the land classes, except Global Base.  I just performed a test flight in the NGX at LOWI. Took off with a solid and smooth 60 FPS from Runway 26, maintained 4500 and 165 knots @ flaps 15 as I overflew nearby towns. All terrain was crisp, no blurries, and frames never dropped down below the mid 50's. My next step would be to reinstall the orbx landclasses, as ell as Germany N/S, and NCA/SCA. Can anyone confirm with AM not used, they have normal, crisp terrain textures? I was suspecting the multiple layers of generated terrain enhancements was possibly causing slow loading times. 

4 minutes ago, davidzill said:

Can anyone confirm with AM not used, they have normal, crisp terrain textures?

I repeat:  Quit being a GAMER and start being a SIMULATOR USER.

If YOUR computer (now) displays crisp textures WITHOUT using an AM, why on earth would you WANT to use an AM setting?  JUST BECAUSE someone ELSE says you "need it"?  THEIR computer may need it, but if YOUR computer ain't broke, DON'T try to FIX it.

(Nick and I just cross-posted, but we both mean the same thing) 

37 minutes ago, FalconAF said:

I repeat:  Quit being a GAMER and start being a SIMULATOR USER.

If YOUR computer (now) displays crisp textures WITHOUT using an AM, why on earth would you WANT to use an AM setting?  JUST BECAUSE someone ELSE says you "need it"?  THEIR computer may need it, but if YOUR computer ain't broke, DON'T try to FIX it.

(Nick and I just cross-posted, but we both mean the same thing) 

I know that, I am asking do the landclass addons or vector cause slower texture loading times?

Hello,

Every additional task that is added to the workload of a simulator will add to the loading times,

however, though there are a few customers who allege a large hit with Vector, I do not believe that overall

there is a marked increase.

I do believe that the major improvement in the appearance of the scenery is well worth the small decrease in

performance.

I also believe that if one concentrates on the image on the screen instead of performance figures, one will have

a much better experience.

17 minutes ago, davidzill said:

I know that, I am asking do the landclass addons or vector cause slower texture loading times?

OK, you have two separate issues to understand.

1.  LOWI is a "self-contained" ORBX scenery.  It has it OWN textures, landclass, and vector files included in it.  And a LOT of photoreal scenery.  If you are not getting "blurry textures" using it anymore, whatever happened when you re-installed everything you said you did, and/or started flying over it at lower airspeeds, "fixed" your original blurry textures problem.

2.  So, if now you install the other things you are asking about (the "regional" Open Landclass products and/or Global Vector), that should not change anything concerning LOWI.  And it should not cause "slower texture loading times" either, because the landclass and texture files it replaces are basically replacing just the stock ones of the same file sizes.  Now...VECTOR may or may not cause you some problems.  It has a history in SOME areas of doing that, and it has not been "fixed" yet in many of those areas.  But in MOST cases, Vector will NOT be your problem.  It will be your simulator settings being too aggressive for the type of flying you are doing...fighter jets at Mach 1 at an altitude of a view hundred or thousand feet over large areas of high resolution photoscenery that was basically designed to be used with lower slower flying aircraft.

Load up the ORBX stuff.  It should work for you.  If it doesn't, it will most likely be something wrong on your computer side or simulator settings that your hardware can't keep up with processing in a timely manner. 

EDIT:  LMAO.  Nick and I just cross-posted again.  Same advice and recommendations.  Just different ways of saying it.

7 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

Every additional task that is added to the workload of a simulator will add to the loading times,

however, though there are a few customers who allege a large hit with Vector, I do not believe that overall

there is a marked increase.

I do believe that the major improvement in the appearance of the scenery is well worth the small decrease in

performance.

I also believe that if one concentrates on the image on the screen instead of performance figures, one will have

a much better experience.

Thanks for your reassurance. I'll add the other add-ons later today. 

18 hours ago, davidzill said:

I hear so many locking FPS at 30 to keep things smooth. What is the best way to do that? When I set the internal limiter it is no where near smooth. 

I never had success with the internal limiter. In difficult terrain it draws fps to unflyable values, additionally causing stutters. This has been my universal experience from Prepar3d1-4 and using several different machines over time.

I limit fps by setting my monitor to 30 Hz. Together with VSync and Triple Buffering on in-game it gives me a fluid experience. This applies as long as I can hold the 30 fps which I can most of the time but not always. In FB KSFO with FTX NCA around and higher UTLife AI traffic settings frames go down into the mid-20s. This is not quite as fluent then, notably during turns, but I still wouldn't call it "stuttering" and it's still fun flying. Same goes for the LA basin or Berlin city center. (I should admit I use - too - high settings.)

If your monitor permits (not all monitors do) I would try the 30 Hz setting (being in the Nvidia Panel).

Kind regards, Michael

Archived