Double trouble

Adam Banks

Beautiful pictures!

It is also reassuring that "old" Virtavia planes work in P3D.v4. With a 64bit program. This indicates in my opinion that transfer from 32 to 64 bit is not so problematic as some indicate.

Makes my decision easier for the future. Still waiting whether FSW also gives the same possibilities.

Otherwise I might switch to P3D.

Hans 

23 minutes ago, hanss said:

This indicates in my opinion that transfer from 32 to 64 bit is not so problematic as some indicate.

Well ... it's great to be optimistic but, being realistic, it very much depends on the nature of the add-on (aircraft) - and how they were built in the first place.

For instance - Aerosoft won't be "patching" their Airbus fleet - but will use the opportunity to make major revisions. Same for Captain Sim, I think.

In other words - most of the older/simpler aircraft may need only minor tweaks, but any of the more complex models from A2A, PMDG, Aerosoft, iFly, QualityWings, Majestic will need a lot of re-working. Some may be free, but the majority (I suspect) will incur an additional cost.

If you move to a new platform (like FSW) then you'll be re-buying add-on aircraft in any case.

Adam.

Thanks Adam,

Too much wishful thinking on my side, I suppose. However you made a very important point on moving to a new platform. This means that with all the add-ons I have accumulated over the years, there is only one cost efficient way to get the benefits from a 64 bit simulator. Seeing all the beautiful screen shots, the change over to P3D.v4 would not be too much of a disappointment, I'd say.

Can you use the same ORBX scenery for both FSX: SE and P3D.v4, provided they are on  the same disk?

Cheers

Hans 

Thanks, Nick! B).

My thinking on making the change from FSX to P3D (and then to x64 v4) wasn't so much that I'd save on maybe 50% of my fleet when I upgraded - more that P3D is where the MSFS platform is going to go in the future. Quite a few developers have already stopped supporting FSX. That said, there has been a sudden flurry of new sims released lately for the x64 platform. I'm in too deep with P3D to make that change, though.

Adam.

Thanks Nick and Adam,

That's clear. The problem I face is the amount of space necessary to install both programs. I must make a choice then, which is difficult bearing in mind the number of payware add-ons I have.

Replacing one, only a month old, SSD would be very cost inefficient. I think I'll wait and see what the developments on 64 bit platforms bring and decide at a later date. 

Also  the hardware front will certainly bring new developments which could help me to decide on  the way to go. Anyway to me P3D seems the way to go so far.

Don't feel sorry for me as I just have a very nice new computer which gives me smooth flying while getting the most out of the ORBX scenery. The only thing I have to take into account is the OOM threat because of the 4Gb limit. Planning properly and saving in time is taking care of that. Though I did not try bigger, heavier planes yet.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts

Cheers

Hans

Hello Hans,

If disk space on the SSD is the only problem, you can place your Orbx folder into a larger HDD

and link it back into the simulator folder using a symbolic link.

In this way, I have Aerofly FS 2, two copies of FSX and P3Dv4 all on one 240 GB SSD.

This way does slow down the initial loading time a bit but appears to have no effect on any of the

simulators once running.

Hello Nick,

Thank you for that. I have a HDD of 3TB, which should be enough, I'd say.

How do I make or assign a symbolic link? Could you please help me with this?

Cheers

Hans

Hello Nick,

I tried to install the symbolic link as you suggested would help me out.

On my ORBX directory on the HD I assigned Pick Link Source.

On the FSX directory on the SSD I assigned Drop As. 

When I start FSX I get messages referring to the replaced ORBX files as areas not found. Also when starting a flight to try it out, I see that the loading of the terrain is very fast, faster than before, and the scenery seems to be the basic FSX scenery.

Could you help me please? What did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance

Hans 

Hello Nick,

As usual, I was not searching the forum before I turned to you for help. Sorry for that.

In the meantime, when I did search the forum, I saw a lot of suggestions and advice from you and others. I will read them and try to apply them to get to a solution. I will then come back and hopefully report that it works.

Cheers

Hans

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Nick,

I promised to come back with good news on installing a symbolic link.

However, I did something wrong, even after reading all the advise I got from the forum. Must be my ignorance, I am sure.

I did a test with two directories  from FSX: viz chats and manuals, I copied them to my harddisk (:E) assigned the symbolic link and "dropped as" two symbolic links in the FSX root directory on (:D). That worked seamlessly. Also when using maps and/or charts from within FSX, while flying etc.

Then I thought it is time for the ORBX scenery. I did exactly the same.

The ORBX link to the ORBX directory with all the files on the E: disk  and the "drop as" ORBX link in de FSX root directory on the : D disk.

When starting FSX the scenery files could not be found. When starting FTX Central all my scenery links were gone.

When I tried to reinstall from FTX Central e.g. ORBX Central, it installed under the ORBX link. In other words it started a new ORBX directory in the FSX root directory and did not seem to find the ORBX directory the link was pointing at.

Now I am back to copying all files to where they came from in order to start a new attempt.

Before I do that could you give me one suggestion which would help me out, please?

Cheers

Hans

Very pleasing to see two old favourites working in v4 and great shots of them.

I tried the B-24 on v2 but it made the sim crash. I have had not other trouble with the mass of other Virtavia planes and choppers I have.

4 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I tried the B-24 on v2 but it made the sim crash. I have had not other trouble with the mass of other Virtavia planes and choppers I have.

v2? I used the "outside P3D root" method to get my B-24 working in P3Dv4: http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=dload&fname=P3D_Alternative_Install.zip

Adam.

1 hour ago, Adam Banks said:

v2? I used the "outside P3D root" method to get my B-24 working in P3Dv4: http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=dload&fname=P3D_Alternative_Install.zip

Adam.

Yup V2! I have yet to master the art of installing all of my old planes into the later versions of P3D and am too afraid of messing everything up.:unsure::(

They don't call me the Frank Spence of FS World for nothing!:lol:

Thanks for the link anyway, I shall keep it for future reference and one day I will throw caution to the wind and give it a whirl.:mellow:

Hello Nick,

An update on my attempts.

Tried to follow a you tube advice to make the symbolic link. I thought I was there by using the old cmd codes. But then I got this sentence: "you do not have sufficient privileges to perform this operation mklink".

When I apply a downloaded version of symbolic link, I can't get ORBX as you show in your example. I only get the directory name: ORBX - symbolic link. Which does not give the result I am looking for.

I'll keep on trying.

Cheers

Hans

Hello Nick,

Tried to follow a you tube advice to make the symbolic link. I thought I was there by using the old cmd codes. But then I got this sentence: "you do not have sufficient privileges to perform this operation mklink".

When I apply a downloaded version of symbolic link, I can't get ORBX as you show in your example. I only get the directory name: ORBX - symbolic link. Which does not give the result I am looking for.

I'll keep on trying.

Cheers

Hans

Hello Nick,

I'll keep on trying.

Cheers

Hans

Hello Nick,

I'll keep on trying.

Cheers

Hans

• 1 month later...

Hi Adam,

I tried to use your alternative method for installing older FSX planes in P3D v4 like the Liberator of Virtavia. So far in vain. I think I followed your description precisely, but I don't see it back in the vehicles folder of P3D. Is there an easier method e.g. cant I just copy the files in the SimObjects folder ín the same way as they are arranged in FSX?

Regards

Hans

Hans - did you run the batch file to create the entry in add-ons.cfg ? You can also add an entry manually, but then you have to remember to renumber all the other entries. Do the aircraft show in the P3D drop-down menu (Options/Add-ons )?

Maybe my system doesn't handle symbolic links awfully well - but you should have alll the information to recreate the structure in your locations.

Yes - you can just copy everything into the usual Simobjects/Effects/Gauges folders, but be careful you don't overwrite any existing (newer) files woith your legacy /old versions.

Adam.

1 hour ago, hanss said:

I don't have to put the add-on.cfg and or .xml files in the program data directory under Prepar 3D?

Not if you're reverting back to the old FSX/Simobjects method.

If you still want to try the "outside P3D" method then, yes, you absolutely need those two files in the correct places.

Adam.

2 hours ago, hanss said:

Why would I use the outside P3D method if just copying is easier? Perhaps I am missing your point, if so sorry for that.

I find it generally safer/cleaner. If the legacy model doesn't work for some reason, it's a lot easier to remove it without mistakenly deleting shared effects files etc.

49 minutes ago, stewart1 said:

Super set of screen shots Adam and thanks for all your work on the presets for pta regards stewart

Thank you, Sir - it's a pleasure!!! I always enjoy your ramblingsaround Europe!

Adam.

4 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

I find it generally safer/cleaner. If the legacy model doesn't work for some reason, it's a lot easier to remove it without mistakenly deleting shared effects files etc.

Thank you, Sir - it's a pleasure!!! I always enjoy your ramblingsaround Europe!

Adam.

Thanks Adam regards stewart

18 hours ago, hanss said:

I see your reasoning. I'll give it another try.

Best of luck!!! Just in case you haven't already read this page, the details of how I use this method are here:
http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=P3D

As I said, I don't use symbolic links - so it's possible the the two batch files may not find/modifiy add-ons.cfg correctly. You may have to do that part manually.

Adam.

Hello Adam,

I can't get it working properly. My clumsiness, I'm sure. So what I did is copy the files from FSX simobject to P3d Simobjects. That worked very well. I got 33 aircraft working in that way.

For the addon scenery I'll try symbolic link. That works for ORBX scenery as well.

Cheers

Hans

Archived