OLC SA and recalling childhood memories

Jon Clarke

With the news and interest being shown by many in  FTX OLC SA being the next OLC area, it brought back memories of a terrific experience I had as a 17 yr old in Guyana. I was visiting my parents, who were posted to Trinidad, for my school Summer holidays. They had invited a friend of theirs kid in Guyana over to Trinidad for a week and I was to then to go to Guyana, Georgetown, for a week.

In Guyana it had been arranged that I would go on a Guyana Airways freight flight that would take me into the interior of Guyana so i could see it from the air. I arrived at the airport and got onto an old DC3 Dakota. There were 4 canvas seats of which my new friend and I occupied 2 of them. Joining us in the "back" were 5 tethered goats and about a dozen or so net sacks of carrots and potatoes and an assortment of other goods. The plane's mission was to drop supplies off to various Amerindian settlements along the way and then return to Georgetown, a trip of about 3 hours.

We took off and were soon heading into the interior. After about 45 minutes i could see flashes from the ground of bright light and asked the pilot ( I was in the cockpit by then) what the flashes were. He told me that the Amerindians used mirrors to reflect the sunlight and this was a signal to the pilot that the settlement was acknowledging the plane's presence and was ready for it to land. We landed at the first settlement and 3 of the goats and a sack each of carrots and potatoes were dropped off. We toook off again and the pilot asked if i would be interested in a slight diversion to go and see the Kaieteur Falls. Obviously I said yes !

We followed the Potaro river for about twenty minutes and I was waiting for the sight of these apparently spectacular falls to appear but nothing was visible. That was until we flew low over the river and suddenly started dropping in height. It was then I saw bits of the falls in the side windows. the pilot then flew on for another few minutes and turned the plane round to face the way we had just come from. WOW... what i saw out of the cockpit in front of me was the whole of the Kaieteur Falls in all it's glory. We flew as low as safely possible and then started to climb so we flew right over the top of the falls. Then we took a few deep breaths of awe and continued the mission that was intended.

Obviously a memorable occasion for for me as I a recalling this almost 50 years later as I write.

That is quite the story indeed jjaycee1. Not your everyday type of life experience for sure. Thank you for sharing that story, and you did a good job explaining it. I can almost feel the spray from the falls on my face, and the loud roar of the falls dimming the sound of those old DC-3 engines. :)

Thanks for sharing! Really great history!

I would love that after the openLC, ORBX take the decision to develop some areas of South America as a more detailed regions. Easily you can make 6 to 10 top-selling products using really awesome places as "Glacier Perito Moreno and Mt. Fitz Roy", "Iguazu Falls and Rain Forest", "Andean Perú, Machu Picchu", "Amazon River", "Guyana-Venezuela Jungle and Angel Falls".

You can take that places, make your magic with the graphics and add a lot of little and challenging airports in the middle of the desert, ice or jungle.

3 hours ago, Rodrigo Bravo said:

Thanks for sharing! Really great history!

I would love that after the openLC, ORBX take the decision to develop some areas of South America as a more detailed regions. Easily you can make 6 to 10 top-selling products using really awesome places as "Glacier Perito Moreno and Mt. Fitz Roy", "Iguazu Falls and Rain Forest", "Andean Perú, Machu Picchu", "Amazon River", "Guyana-Venezuela Jungle and Angel Falls".

You can take that places, make your magic with the graphics and add a lot of little and challenging airports in the middle of the desert, ice or jungle.

I remember a most wonderful flight from Puerto Montt to Punta Arenas in Chile and the view along the hielos continentales was fantastic. Torres del Paine would be a showstopper with scenic mountains, but then in Chile you can also fly out to the Juan Fernandez archipielago where supposedly Robinson Crusoe was stranded. Those small exciting flights are with a Beechcraft 200. Another great area to fly are above the Nasza lines in small cessna airplanes, or Cusco and Machu Picchu. Iguazu falls at the Argentine/Brazilian border. Or how about the high altitude airports of Quito and la Paz... Thinking about it, LC South America will be a huge winner!

19 hours ago, Rodrigo Bravo said:

I would love that after the openLC, ORBX take the decision to develop some areas of South America as a more detailed regions.

Several airports usually follow the release of LC & Regions so just be patient

Archived