PNW set one of two

Jack Sawyer

Flew from S45 to 7S3 to KVBS.  All freshly bought.  I knew it was in dangerous OOM territory and I wasn't disappointed.  Then next set I OOM's at the gas pump but shut it down before it could quit.

But the flight was great despite the fact that my frames hovered at around a slideshow inducing 11 FPS with AS16 on.  I've tried all their advice and in dense could it brings my system to its knees.

Oh well, it was fun.

This is S45 to 7S3 - Global - Vector - Trees - PNW - Adam's latest PTA - HDR on - AS16 killing me...started at dawn.

KceRmES.jpg

0AV4OKf.jpg

CSyuZyQ.jpg

1dJimBt.jpg

eUBfkus.jpg

n3Ussu0.jpg

0FEDW4P.jpg

a0penwh.jpg

3x9jnS2.jpg

RgASLao.jpg

vg2Xgbu.jpg

9 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Great shots Jack & my system didn't OOM one time looking at them, although there was a slideshow effect! ;)

:D:D:D

Fantastic trip, Jack. Re your OOMs, sometimes I switch off my REX weather after I have encounter it. I then switch to one of the standard ORBX weather themes. For me #2 works best, as it gives me a very nice haze 

16 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Great shots Jack & my system didn't OOM one time looking at them, although there was a slideshow effect! ;)

Thanks Roger, I'm sure glad the OOM's weren't contagious.  And slide, I see what you did there! B)

16 hours ago, RJ said:

Momentous post! :)

Thanks RJ!

16 hours ago, Bluebear said:

excellent shots !!

Cheers

Bluebear

Thanks Bluebear!

16 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Wow, wow, wow. Amazing pix. As real as it can get.

Thank you flying leaf!  Orbx seems to make it more real all the time.

13 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Excellent set Jack, bloody OOMs, so annoying.

A beautiful area to fly in but so demanding on the performance.

I have had to ditch ASN sometimes when things have got down to single digits and make my own weather.

Thanks Martyn.  Yeah, I agree.  Maybe someday, say in the year 3016 there will finally be a sim without OOM's.  I do the same with the weather when it gets too low on fps.

13 hours ago, Republic DC-9 said:

Great shots, Jack!

Steve

Thanks Steve!

9 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Top-thrill set of shotz J!

Glad you liked them Erik!

7 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

:D:D:D

Fantastic trip, Jack. Re your OOMs, sometimes I switch off my REX weather after I have encounter it. I then switch to one of the standard ORBX weather themes. For me #2 works best, as it gives me a very nice haze 

Thanks Bernd, I'm gonna give #2 a shot.  Haven't really messed with those themes too much.

4 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iian!

3 hours ago, Voyager said:

Excellent captures despite the precariousness with performance.

Voyager

Thank you Voyager!

Classic stuff. Lovely shots. Although why the OOMs ? These are not big airports. Are you using very high res settings and clouds?

I use 512 res clouds and water and they really look great (unless you zoom right up close - which isn't necessary). FSX set to 2048 for the aircraft. No OOMs. Flew from CYVR (FSDT) in PNW to KBZN in the PMDG NGX and didn't go near any OOM - with a continuous flight. Just posted 3 different flights from this weekend without any OOMs at all. Hope you can find a solution. My AS16 and ASCA work like a dream - have never tried the HD content and never will as it is not needed for clouds and water - only for aircraft VC etc.)

30 minutes ago, Rhett said:

Classic stuff. Lovely shots. Although why the OOMs ? These are not big airports. Are you using very high res settings and clouds?

I use 512 res clouds and water and they really look great (unless you zoom right up close - which isn't necessary). FSX set to 2048 for the aircraft. No OOMs. Flew from CYVR (FSDT) in PNW to KBZN in the PMDG NGX and didn't go near any OOM - with a continuous flight. Just posted 3 different flights from this weekend without any OOMs at all. Hope you can find a solution. My AS16 and ASCA work like a dream - have never tried the HD content and never will as it is not needed for clouds and water - only for aircraft VC etc.)

Thanks Rhett.  I use P3D 3.2.  I've read many places that the original code for FSX which supposedly P3D uses is notorious for OOM's in and around Seattle.  For example, search for flying from KSEA to Friday harbor.  Many people have had OOM's.  I've even done extensive VAS testing.  With study level planes like the Q400 to A2A's to Carrenados.  Weather on or off, makes no difference. VAS is eaten alive in that general area.

As for weather I never use the 4096 textures either.  I have AS16 and ASCA set to dynamic at the next to lowest setting.  Not at the PC right now so I can't say the exact settings but I even have one cloud layer.  HiFi has been working with me and they even blame LM.  So if the weather is too dense I shut down AS16.  I also like to have almost all my graphics sliders full right as I like to see all the Orbx delights I can.  I used to fly the NGX in FSX a lot but I have discovered I'd much rather see the planet low and relatively slow on nothing but Orbx.

It's not Orbx's fault, when Friday Harbor first came out a lot of people were having OOM's.  I remember they even dialed some things back but they said it's the code and I believe them.  I bought it and love it.  I make the occasional flight there and do not have OOM's as long as it's a short flight.

I tested it with the Q400 from KEAS to Friday harbor in real weather and I got the chimes only when taxiing.

Try that flight in the NGX and look at VAS.  I know you can't land a 737 on KFHR but fly over it and land somewhere and have a look at VAS.

Best regards,

Jack

On 04/12/2016 at 9:42 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Rhett.  I use P3D 3.2.  I've read many places that the original code for FSX which supposedly P3D uses is notorious for OOM's in and around Seattle.  For example, search for flying from KSEA to Friday harbor.  Many people have had OOM's.  I've even done extensive VAS testing.  With study level planes like the Q400 to A2A's to Carrenados.  Weather on or off, makes no difference. VAS is eaten alive in that general area.

As for weather I never use the 4096 textures either.  I have AS16 and ASCA set to dynamic at the next to lowest setting.  Not at the PC right now so I can't say the exact settings but I even have one cloud layer.  HiFi has been working with me and they even blame LM.  So if the weather is too dense I shut down AS16.  I also like to have almost all my graphics sliders full right as I like to see all the Orbx delights I can.  I used to fly the NGX in FSX a lot but I have discovered I'd much rather see the planet low and relatively slow on nothing but Orbx.

It's not Orbx's fault, when Friday Harbor first came out a lot of people were having OOM's.  I remember they even dialed some things back but they said it's the code and I believe them.  I bought it and love it.  I make the occasional flight there and do not have OOM's as long as it's a short flight.

I tested it with the Q400 from KEAS to Friday harbor in real weather and I got the chimes only when taxiing.

Try that flight in the NGX and look at VAS.  I know you can't land a 737 on KFHR but fly over it and land somewhere and have a look at VAS.

Best regards,

Jack

Very interesting. I seem to recall that P3D by default uses a LOD of 6.5. FSX-SE is still 4.5 but you can increase it in the cfg file which I only do for scenic short flights in GA. For me, going above 4.5 in complex aircraft and ORBX full fat regions is problematic with OOM's. Similarly going above 'dense' for autogen. Cheers. 

Archived