This ain't Death Valley...

birdguy

Up to now I've been reading the FTX Central 2 posts about misplaced textures since the migration and while I have seen random white squares and some dark blue squares in water textures I have not posted anything because it would have been redundant.

But this morning I was flying a route I planned to post with screen shots and when I came upon Death Valley...WOW!!!!

I've been to Death Valley and it don't look like this.  This isn't a few misplaces textures it's square miles of misplaced textures.  Unless there is something wrong with my system in this particular area something needs to be looked at.  I'm holding off on this flight until things get squared away.

Image_160621_121211.jpg

Noel

I just went to the scenery library, Maurizio, and unticked every non-orbx scenery that was there including Aerosoft Ancorage, Aerosoft Fairbanks, Vancouver, Victoria, and ALL the RTMM scenery.  All I left on there was Tongass Fjords since it's required to link PFJ and SAK.

Then I turned off the computer, waited five minutes, and rebooted.

Death Valley National Forest is still there.

Noel

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

I just went to the scenery library, Maurizio, and unticked every non-orbx scenery that was there including Aerosoft Ancorage, Aerosoft Fairbanks, Vancouver, Victoria, and ALL the RTMM scenery.  All I left on there was Tongass Fjords since it's required to link PFJ and SAK.

Then I turned off the computer, waited five minutes, and rebooted.

Death Valley National Forest is still there.

Noel

Darn, now we know whose hogging all the water in California.

That is certainly a major texture issue Noel. I'm off to check out my install in that area.

12 minutes ago, fltsimguy said:

Mine is fine and i have yet to reinstall Holger's Death Valley Ozx.

I tried OZX Death Valley in P3D and think ORBX looks better plus they put in unlisted strips in the area.  Josh

Well, I just reinstalled the latest library and ran FTX Central 2 again.  I unticked Tongass Fjords and all of my Pilots 2010 mesh.  Nothing left but Orbx scenery.  The forest is still there.  I'm not using OZX Death Valley, just P3D's.

Obiously this isn't an Orbx problem if others are not seeing it.  I'm not knowledgeable enough to troubleshoot and fix this myself so I think I'll take a sabbatical from flight simming for a couple of months and come September maybe I'll uninstall everything and start over again for the umpteenth time... or not.  Perhaps I'm not cut out for this exotic stuff.  I still FS2004 to fall back on.  Feeling quite frustrated and discourage right now.

I've enough to keep me busy until then.  I'm reading three books (Zinn's A People's History of the United States, Michener's The Source, and Clavell's Tai Pan)
 and taking three Great Courses (Homer's The Illiad, A Skeptic's Guide to American History, and History's Greatest Military Blunders). 

Noel

3 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Well, I just reinstalled the latest library and ran FTX Central 2 again.  I unticked Tongass Fjords and all of my Pilots 2010 mesh.  Nothing left but Orbx scenery.  The forest is still there.  I'm not using OZX Death Valley, just P3D's.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to troubleshoot and fix this myself so I think I'll take a sabbatical from flight simming for a couple of months and wait until the problem(s) get fixed.  I'll check the forum daily to see if any progress is being made or any solutions found.  If not come September maybe I'll uninstall everything and start over again for the umpteenth time, or not.  Perhaps I'm not cut out for this stuff.  I still FS2004 to fall back on.  Feeling quite discourage right now.

I've enough to keep me busy until then.  I'm reading three books (Zinn's A People's History of the United States, Michener's The Source, and Clavell's Tai Pan)
 and taking three Great Courses (Homer's The Illiad, A Skeptic's Guide to American History, and History's Greatest Military Blunders). 

Noel

Well, I'm still using FSX, so maybe that has something to do with it.  Who knows....   That Great Course on The Illiad sounds interesting.  I might have to look that up.

I am almost finished with the Illiad and have The Odyssey on order.  It's not a dramatization or recitation but rather a professor explaining what Homer was tryig to tell his audience.

Noel

I recall reading and analyzing the Illiad in junior college.

My is FSX as well, just installed the Ozx Holger Death Valley and am playing with the setup some but its great. I have yet to try it in P3D, sorry.

Tongass and the mesh will have nothing to do with this display issue you can keep them enabled.  This is some sort of landclass issue where the texture being called is incorrect.  A landclass lookup table missing a texture identifier or corrupted lclookup table could be the issue.

The other landclass display in the background looks correct.

1 hour ago, fltsimguy said:

I recall reading and analyzing the Illiad in junior college.

My is FSX as well, just installed the Ozx Holger Death Valley and am playing with the setup some but its great. I have yet to try it in P3D, sorry.

Tongass and the mesh will have nothing to do with this display issue you can keep them enabled.  This is some sort of landclass issue where the texture being called is incorrect.  A landclass lookup table missing a texture identifier or corrupted lclookup table could be the issue.

The other landclass display in the background looks correct.

I agree completely, Bryan.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

In desperation I reinstalled SCA.  No joy.  Then I reinstalled Global.  Still no joy. 

Noel

Noel, don't give up but maybe just waiting a while may be the best solution for now. Fly places where there is not an issue and save the frustration.

Cheers Anton.

I'm kinda bummed, Anton, because I was flying a route and taking screen shots that I was going to describe and post here.  Now it has to go on hold because Death Valley was a vital part of it.  Sometimes I wonder if the frustrations are worth it.

If I want to do some simming between my reading and the courses I'm taking I still have my train sim installed and it always works.

Noel

Jeff showed you the photoreal experience, the pics are faboulouses :) To fix the sand problem in the valley, and maybe also Noel's big forest, it's useful to see this post

where Holger explains the reason of an issue like that. Wrong position of the landclass in the scenery library respect to the region.

Clavell's Tai Pan 

Noel

Hi Noel,

Hah - excellent book - been ages - that Clavell guy sure could write...

OBTW - anybody ever read Shogun ? To this day every time I think of Clavell - I recall he scene in the book - with the two Samurai discussing Blackthorns sexual preferences - the Priests and the duck... I recall reading it on a commuter train and I couldn't stop laughing - people around me must have thought I was crazy...

Anyway - back to planes...

:)

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Maurizio Giorgi said:

Jeff showed you the photoreal experience, the pics are faboulouses :) To fix the sand problem in the valley, and maybe also Noel's big forest, it's useful to see this post

where Holger explains the reason of an issue like that. Wrong position of the landclass in the scenery library respect to the region.

Hi, Maurizio.  With respect, I don't think that's the reason.  My OLC entries are correctly placed below the FTX entries.  Maybe it has to do somehow with FTX SCA?

1 hour ago, Jeff Gilmour said:

Something to make you jealous, Marizio Giorgi's beautiful OZx Death valley Photoreal + Holgers Mesh in FSX today - setting Summer 12 noon.

9bae219eef97e99744f28c02957b3cde.jpg

And this is what i'm seeing as well, cover a large area from Sierra Nevada's to Beatty.  Beautiful.

2 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Hi, Maurizio.  With respect, I don't think that's the reason.  My OLC entries are correctly placed below the FTX entries.  Maybe it has to do somehow with FTX SCA?

I see the same.

Perhaps that what should be there and we don't have a problem?

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

I agree it doesn't look right but I wonder if the white images in this shot is what it is trying to emulate?

I would be the first to agree that photo scenery is what is required in an area such as this.

Untitled.jpg

The white areas are alkali deposits common in many places in the American deserts.  The smaller one at the top is around a small year round creek that is inhabited by pupfish.  The large one at the bottom is where bad Water is located and is the lowest spot in North America at 282ft below sea level.

I avoid photoreal sceneries that don't blend in with the default textures at the borders.  That's why uninstalled OZX Death Valley a couple of years ago.  I just don't like the abrupt texture changes.  Besides, the ORBX scenery shouldn't look like the forest I have.  I'll just wait until it somehow gets fixed or I break down and delete and reinstall the whole thing.

Scott...I have read all of Clavell's Books; Shogun, Tai Pan, Noble House, King Rat, Gai Jin, and Whirlwind - about the collapse if the Iranian monarchy and focuses on a young British army officer and his Gurkha partner.  Did you know he also wrote the movie To Sir With Love?  He and Michener are my two favorites.

Another excellent read, although rather short for him, is Michener's Caravans.  A fascinating look at Afghanistan just after WW2 well before the current trouble started.

Noel

12 minutes ago, birdguy said:

I avoid photoreal sceneries that don't blend in with the default textures at the borders.  That's why uninstalled OZX Death Valley a couple of years ago.  I just don't like the abrupt texture changes.  Besides, the ORBX scenery shouldn't look like the forest I have.  I'll just wait until it somehow gets fixed or I break down and delete and reinstall the whole thing.

Noel

Agreed the blending is not great but the photoscenery looks spectacular, nice in early morning and evening colours. So I just grin and bear it.  I have towed my 5th wheel through there twice, camped at Beatty.  Death Valley is an amazing experience, I want to go back again, haven't see the south end yet.

12 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Another excellent read, although rather short for him, is Michener's Caravans.  A fascinating look at Afghanistan just after WW2 well before the current trouble started.

Interestingly I read that book back in 1974 (talk about anal, I actually have a listing of all the books I have ever read).  I remember it was good.   But for the life of my I can't recall any of it....lol.

I've been to Death Valley several times Bryan.  I've been all over it from Ubehebe Crater in the north to Scotties Castle to Bad Water.  I've entered and departed it from the south or over the mountain from the Owens Valley.  It's one of my all time favorite places.  I've hiked several of the canyons.  We usually stay at Stovepipe Wells.  Furnace Creek Lodge is out of my price range. 

Noel

Noel, the Haj by Leon Uris (Exodus, Mila 18) is a good read as well, since you're in that part of the world. No help here on your scenery problem, however. Last time I was in Death Valley I remember my now 46 year-old's son's diapers hanging out to dry on a clothesline outside the RV at Stovepipe Wells. They didn't take long to dry.

jsapair

I can read several books a day if I'm serious about it. Usually it's one a day now. In high school during the summer it was 5 to 7 a day. I don't have enough storage space to list everything I've read. ROFLMAO !

Sue

2 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

I can read several books a day if I'm serious about it. Usually it's one a day now. In high school during the summer it was 5 to 7 a day. I don't have enough storage space to list everything I've read. ROFLMAO !

Sue

Good gravy!  Are you a speed reader!  Like for real!  I can skim a 500 page book in a day but I couldn't possibly get into the characters the mood of the book or any literary value that it might contain. I'm a one a week guy.

I had a job a a reader in high school, (for a  press clipping service) and was trained to about 1200 words a minute with a 98% retention, and understanding rate.  Before the training it was about 700 wpm.  I've tried to slow down, I have !  It's much better than it used to be...

LOL

Sue

15 hours ago, birdguy said:

The white areas are alkali deposits common in many places in the American deserts.  The smaller one at the top is around a small year round creek that is inhabited by pupfish.  The large one at the bottom is where bad Water is located and is the lowest spot in North America at 282ft below sea level.

Scott...I have read all of Clavell's Books; Shogun, Tai Pan, Noble House, King Rat, Gai Jin, and Whirlwind - about the collapse if the Iranian monarchy and focuses on a young British army officer and his Gurkha partner.  Did you know he also wrote the movie To Sir With Love?  He and Michener are my two favorites.

Noel

Yeah, i imagined it was a salt deposit ;) We have here too, in the South expecially where it's hotter. Pity that at that time FTX global didn't still exist, otherwise i would have autogened the area with more fit trees and buildings, we were encouraged to use the orbx libraries, but this happened much later than Death Valley came out.

If you find the border contour of Cote d'Azur when comes out i will give you a prize :D 

Haven't read The Haj jsapair but I have read Exodus and Mila 18.  I going to have to add it to my list.

That part of the world interests me, especially Afghanistan.  If it weren't for the war I'd love to visit Afghanistan, especially the Pashtuns.  I have a great deal of respect for them.  I've read several books about Afghanistan starting with Michener's Caravans.  Afghanistan, A Cultural and Political History.  Afghanistan, A Military History of Afghanistan from Alexander the Great to the War Against the Taliban. Afghanistan.  A Graveyard of Empires.  And two Novels, A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Kite Runner. 

Nobody has ever been able to conquer or pacify Afghanistan, a country with a dozen different ethnic groups and as many different languages. Alexander couldn't do it.  Genghis Kahn couldn't do it, The British tried twice and failed.  Then the Russian were sent packing.  Now the US is trying without much success. It's never had a central government that extended beyond the outskirts of Kabul.  It's really a collection of tribes and clans as opposed to a nation. In the Hindu Kush you can find a valley where people look Oriental dating back to some of Genghis Kahn's horde who stayed and married local women and in another valley lighter, blue eyed people descended from Macedonians who stayed there and were assimilated into the tribe when Alexander tried to conquer it.

I think it's the most fascinating country in the world with a riveting, rich history.

Noel

14 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

I had a job a a reader in high school, (for a  press clipping service) and was trained to about 1200 words a minute with a 98% retention, and understanding rate.  Before the training it was about 700 wpm.  I've tried to slow down, I have !  It's much better than it used to be...

LOL

Sue

Wow, just wow.

Archived