Flying from Kokoda to the village of Manari to pay our  respects to the passing of a legend.

1.fwa1.jpg

A beautiful sunrise at Kokoda strip.

2.fwa2.jpg

After warming up the Caribou we lift off from Kokoda.

3.fwa3.jpg
Starting a 180 turn to find the Kokoda Trail.

4.fwa4.jpg

Picking up the beginning of the trail which came to fame in 1942 with the Australian forces engaged with the Japanese who had invaded from the north.

5.fwa5.jpg

Gaining height to climb over the Owen Stanley Ranges.

6.fwa6.jpg

A series of battles were fought along the Kokoda Track with both sides gaining and losing the advantage because of amongst other things supply problems.

7.fwa6b.jpg

Over Kagi, Launumu and Efogi scenes of some of the skirmishes in 1942. The Australians were helped by the locals who became known as the Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels because of their frizzy hair.

8.fwa7.jpg

Located Manari, our intended destination. The Angels helped carrying supplies in and casualties out.

9.fwa8.jpg

Turning back and descending. They were revered for their bravery and selflessness.

10.fwa9.jpg

The last known survivor was Faole Bokoi who lived at Manari village.

11.fwa10.jpg

Almost there. Sadly Faole passed away last week aged 95.

12.fwa11.jpg

We have flown in to pay tribute to Faole and his brave compatriots who played such a major part in halting the Japanese expansion to the south.

13.fwa12.jpg

A link to the Kokoda Campaign can be found here  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kokoda_Track_campaign

14.fwa12b.jpg

Here is a link to the sad news of Foale Bokoi's passing. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-07/fuzzy-wuzzy-angel-faole-bokoi-dies/7226102

Hope you find the post and links interesting.

7 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

why this livery is called "camouflage"

Yes, barely visible. If it had a white-blue belly it would also be invisible from benath while flying.

Divine sequence of captures from the flight along the Kokoda trail. I especially liked the descriptions as they are invigorating to the screenshots.

Greetings!

Hi Martyn,

great shots but more importantly a fine reminder. Not a specific arena I am particularly well informed about, but I have become a fairly persistent student of (mainly 20th century) history over recent years and am constantly both appalled and moved to tears as I discover what an aberration and inspiration it can be to be human.

I shall most definitely read that linked article.

Thank you

Andy

A fantastic set of pictures and a wonderful tribute to a legend among legends.  It is really sad to hear of Mr Bokoi's passing, and your tribute to him is touching.  He and his compatriots were indeed brave and caring angels who came to the aid of our troops in their brave battle against the enemy and nature during WW2.

We shall not forget.

Cheers,

Archived