Emergency over the San Juans

bernd1151

Our beautifully restored DC-3 was supposed to ferry a young football team from Skagit to Victoria Intern.

It’s a wonderful, almost cloudless afternoon and we move our plane from her parking position to the small terminal in order to have our guests climb aboard.

1e6a60.jpg

2afe87.jpg

It’s going to be a smooth flight, or that’s what everyone thought…

311fd3.jpg

We allow the trainer onto the flight deck, so that he can have a better look at some of the San Juan islands

4a6319.jpg

And then out of a sudden we hear a huge bang from the left engine. The plane veers heavily to the left as if someone has tried to move the left wing backwards. The trainer is thrown to the ground right behind my seat. What on earth…??

And then we hear a terrified football team scream with one voice: “Fire!! Fire on the left engine!!” Yes, lads, we have figured that out by now too. No need to panic. We quickly reduce power to that engine, cut the fuel and launch the fire suppression system. After the plane has been stabilized to fly on one engine I move out of my seat into the main cabin in order to have a look at the fire and to calm down the horrified boys.

5409d7.jpg

Jesus, I haven’t seen anything like that before on a Dakota. Of course I can’t tell them that. It looks like one of the fuel lines must have ruptured. Unfortunately the fire suppression system has very little effect and we are too low to try to kill the fire in a dive. We need to find an airport and we need to find it fast.

65a2ac.jpg

We contact ATC and are advised that the closest airport is Anacortes.

70bef3.jpg

We turn around and head straight for Anacortes. I can’t believe it, but that imbecile in the tower asks us, whether we want to declare an emergency. Of course not, you sh…head, we are on a joy ride and the fire on the left engine is just there to light our Cuban stogies, when we do our wing walks.

823be1.jpg

Get your bloody fire brigade ready, I shout at him, because I don’t think that our left tire will survive that ordeal

9cd106.jpg

Anacortes comes up at 9 o’clock

105d3e0.jpg

Am I scared? Hell yes, because I worry about the left tire

11a8827.jpg

I’ll try to stay as long as possible on the right tire. Let’s see what happens

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Great, everyone is safe

15.jpg

Tower, what do you mean with: your single fire truck is out of fuel???

Thanks a lot my friends. I am happy that you like my little story and the pics to go with it. As always with these occurences, this has not been planned. But when the port engine suddenly exploded I thought this could make for a nice story :)

Archived