I was thumbing through a very old book I have of WW2 aircraft. On turning to the Avro Lancaster I saw first flight 9th January 1941.

So that make it 75 years since this magnificent aircraft made its maiden flight plus a few days.

I wonder what would have happened if the RR Vulture engines on the Manchester had been a success. We shall never know.

I already have Central set to Global and I have not flown in Italy for ages so that is why the Lancaster is flying out of LIRU Roma Urbe.

1.ll1.jpg

2.ll2.jpg

3.ll3.jpg

4.ll4.jpg

5.ll5.jpg

6.ll6.jpg

7.ll7.jpg

Great to hear the 4 Merlins roaring again.

Great pics and thanks for the info.

That's a nice model of the Lancaster.

I have a model of a "Dambusters" Lancaster B.III sitting on my shelf in the box waiting to be done, and a few posters of the Lanc' around my bedroom.

Back in 2013 it was the 70th anniversary of Operation Chastise (The Dambusters mission) and I gathered a heap of books and magazines at the time, and also a copy of the original movie.  I knew about the Dambusters from a pretty young age, but reading all the info really brings the reality of the mission into perspective.

It certainly was (and is) a great aircraft.

Cheers,

5 minutes ago, scottharmes6 said:

Great pics and thanks for the info.

That's a nice model of the Lancaster.

I have a model of a "Dambusters" Lancaster B.III sitting on my shelf in the box waiting to be done, and a few posters of the Lanc' around my bedroom.

Back in 2013 it was the 70th anniversary of Operation Chastise (The Dambusters mission) and I gathered a heap of books and magazines at the time, and also a copy of the original movie.  I knew about the Dambusters from a pretty young age, but reading all the info really brings the reality of the mission into perspective.

It certainly was (and is) a great aircraft.

Cheers,

Great to hear you are interested in the Dambusters.

I have several books at about the raid and 617 Squadron in my collection.

I was born in a village near London called Effingham. Just across the golf course was Beech Avenue where Dr Barnes Wallis lived.

I was lucky enough to see him at our local church on a couple of occasions back in the early 60s.

He did a lot for the local cricket club amongst other things.

I had the pleasure of crawling through the one at the Auckland Museum of Transport & Technology (MOTAT), which is ex French Navy.  My cousin and I were hanging around on what must have been a slow day and one of the guys there asked us if we wanted to have a closer look.  I remember being told quite specifically not to touch anything!  It was cosy, even in my then small stature.  When it was out in the elements it used to get the occasional run up, which I sadly never got to hear.  Now it's safely in a shed.

49 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Great to hear you are interested in the Dambusters.

I have several books at about the raid and 617 Squadron in my collection.

I was born in a village near London called Effingham. Just across the golf course was Beech Avenue where Dr Barnes Wallis lived.

I was lucky enough to see him at our local church on a couple of occasions back in the early 60s.

He did a lot for the local cricket club amongst other things.

Wow!  How lucky are you.

Yeah it was an amazing mission and squadron and all involved must have been some amazing people.

There was a good doco on a couple of years ago called "Dambusters Fly Again" ( I had to look it up) where they recreated the bouncing bomb and Arnie from Buffalo Airways was actually the pilot they bought in to drop the bomb.  It's worth a watch if you haven't seen it (or even if you have).

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/scienceshow/dambusters-recreates-daring-wwii-raids/4363776

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1382451/Dambusters-documentary-recreates-science-WW2s-audacious-bombing-raid.html

14 minutes ago, Mickel said:

I had the pleasure of crawling through the one at the Auckland Museum of Transport & Technology (MOTAT), which is ex French Navy.  My cousin and I were hanging around on what must have been a slow day and one of the guys there asked us if we wanted to have a closer look.  I remember being told quite specifically not to touch anything!  It was cosy, even in my then small stature.  When it was out in the elements it used to get the occasional run up, which I sadly never got to hear.  Now it's safely in a shed.

Awesome.  That reminded me of the time I saw the Lancaster at the Australian War Memorial on a school camp to Canberra in Grade 6, something I had forgotten.  I remember it being the biggest plane I had seen (at least up close) and being indoors it seemed gargantuan!

Cheers,

14 minutes ago, scottharmes6 said:

I just found a link to a YouTube version of the full Doco mentioned above, although it has a different title.

Cheers,

Thanks Scott. Saw this a few years ago on Foxtel, very interesting what they did.

Hi Guys,

The Lanc has always been one of my two favourite WW2 warbirds, the other is the Spitfire, ever since I was a young lad living in Liverpool UK, now I'm retired, and I live about 40 mins away from East Kirby, the old WW2 bomber base, in Lincolnshire, UK, now home to "Just Jane", one of the last airworthy Lancs still around. To listen to those famous four Merlin engines start up, standing next to them is amazing, and then watch her do a taxi, onto what remains of the old grass runway is fantastic.

There are many videos on YouTube, for anyone interested in seeing her!

Cheers,

5 minutes ago, anfield ace said:

Hi Guys,

The Lanc has always been one of my two favourite WW2 warbirds, the other is the Spitfire, ever since I was a young lad living in Liverpool UK, now I'm retired, and I live about 40 mins away from East Kirby, the old WW2 bomber base, in Lincolnshire, UK, now home to "Just Jane", one of the last airworthy Lancs still around. To listen to those famous four Merlin engines start up, standing next to them is amazing, and then watch her do a taxi, onto what remains of the old grass runway is fantastic.

Cheers,

Sounds very exciting, even though I'm not in WWII aircraft.

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 6:12 PM, Mickel said:

In the right place at the right time, that must have been a fantastic experience.

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 7:28 PM, Bermuda425 said:

Grand set of shots. Looks quite aggressive especially with the livery.

Thanks Bermuda, sadly this beautiful looking and sounding plane was built for just that.

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 8:17 PM, Voyager said:

What a pleasant set of shots here and the nice comments too.
Great memories and a pinch of acknowledgements to add, yeah!

Good vid too, it illustrated well the whole "chat".

Voyager

Thank you Voyager.

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 8:59 PM, RJ said:

What a great post. It's like you are in pub with a lot of great people talking and hearing about things you like. :)

Thank you RJ, now whose round is it?

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 10:53 PM, dolf8857 said:

Outstanding shots here!

Thank you Dolf.

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 1:16 AM, Airwolf said:

Smashing and mega grand shots in this set.  Thank you

Cheers Airwolf.

22 hours ago, BradB said:

Dam these are great shots Martyn . :D:)

Cheers

John

Oh no I have been busted!:o Cheers John:lol:

21 hours ago, Sammy H said:

Epic shots, and quite fantastic video for recreating the rolling bomb.....man that thing was moving with some velocity.

Thanks Sammy, it is a great programme to watch and they succeeded too.

10 hours ago, anfield ace said:

Hi Guys,

Cheers,

Thank you Mal. I am lucky enough to have seen the BBMF Lanc a few times when I lived in the UK. The last one I saw was in Canberra at the War Memorial. I love watching the YouTube videos and have seen a few of Just Jane. Some great clips for turning the volume up and listening to the Merlins. Did you get to see Vera when she visited? Wasn't that an incredible feat to fly her safely to and from Canada.

10 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Sounds very exciting, even though I'm not in WWII aircraft.

Funny how we all have our preferences Bermuda, makes for an interesting world.:)

Thanks so much to all of you who have responded here. So wonderful to hear of your likes and experiences.

45 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Thank you Mal. I am lucky enough to have seen the BBMF Lanc a few times when I lived in the UK. The last one I saw was in Canberra at the War Memorial. I love watching the YouTube videos and have seen a few of Just Jane. Some great clips for turning the volume up and listening to the Merlins. Did you get to see Vera when she visited? Wasn't that an incredible feat to fly her safely to and from Canada.

Funny how we all have our preferences Bermuda, makes for an interesting world.:)

Hi,

No I never got to the shows, but I saw the BBMF Lanc, and Vera flying in formation over our area, a couple of times...brilliant!

Cheers,

Archived