FTX Germany vs FTX France

Jon Clarke

I see that orbx are developing FTX Germany and a welcome addition it will be, but I personally would have preferred it if France was being developed. It is a beautiful country with such diverse topography from Mediterranean resorts to mountains and vineyards. No disrespect to Germany but France is the world's most popular tourist destination because of it's natural beauty and heritage and i would have thought it would be a best seller, rather than Germany which is perceived as more of an industrial powerhouse than a place of topographical beauty. Again no offence meant to Germany just an observation from a sim flyers perspective of what would be a popular product. I would also add Italy into the frame for the the same reasons as France. I do hope these two countries will be added to the FTX portfolio.

... Germany which is perceived as more of an industrial powerhouse than a place of topographical beauty.

No disrespect to you but your answer could convey the impression that you are not really familiar with Germany's landscape.
(Btw, nevertheless my preferred voting was not Germany when it was asked for here in the forum already a longer time ago)

Hi,

there was a representative long-term poll 2(?) years ago, and on top was Germany. Not sure if it makes sense to start another arguments on this one. I certainly would buy an ORBX France later on for sure, but keep in mind a competitor being active in regional sceneries in the area (which doesn't apply for Germany nor for Italy).

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Dieter. I apologise if you feel a bit sensiitve about my post as I certainly meant no offence to anyone. I do happen to know about the Germany quite well having been there many times and in different parts of the country both rural and urban. Yes it is a beautiful country in many areas. 

pmb: I was not aware of the poll done and so i agree with your view about starting another post on the topic.

Nick Cooper, please close this topic. many thanks.

Hi,

I live in France, at 2 nm from frontier with Germany. So, i am part of rare french people who are able to speak and read german. When i compare the quality from the german simulation related periodics with the french publications, there is no doubt : the german simming communauty is much bigger then the french one. So, more readers, more budget, more content. And the french communauty is spreaded in a lot of different countries, from Quebec to Belgium, from Antillas to Africa. So, i understand that german scenies are much more awaited, and for sure, I regreat this, but it is the reality. There are lot of superb regions in Germany, from the Rhine valley to the Northern coast and a part of the Alps are in Germany. 

If i could suggest a good strategy : please Orbx, consider this : A region covering all the Rhine river could be very interesting for your customers in Swiss, France, Germany, Belgium and Netherland. 

And it could border your England region.

Voila voila

Well, I live in Germany, very close to the border to France, and I'm 1 of those many flightsim users. I will get FTX Germany for sure, but I'm not one of those who only want to fly where they live. I've done several sightseeing flights over Germany in reality, and from a neutral position (if that is even possible) I've honestly seen more beautiful landscapes than the ones around here. That's why I had wished something like "FTX Alps" or "Northern Italy". However a big argument I think is the density of availible airports and airfields in good Quality. Just recently I was very impressed how many good freeware sceneries are availible for Germany, let alone Aerosoft's, ORBX's and other developers' regional or big airports. That's what makes a region really valuable in my opinion.

If there was FTX France I would grab it, too because of the beautiful landscapes there. However would there be enough good airfleids to fly from or to?

Hi Simu67,

I also regret that French freeware scenery designers are a bit "hidden in their language niche" - as a matter of fact most of us are not very fluent in French and thus rely on English sites to get their information on what is new and hot. And on Avsim, Flightsim and other sites you have to search for a while to find some French scenery. But there do exist a lot of very talented French developers - good example is the great rendition of the city of Paris by Marco Guitteny (http://marcoh.gratisim.fr/paris_fr.html). His extrusion buildings are simply stunning... And many other good stuff to be found on http://www.pilote-virtuel.com

Regards

3 hours ago, Simu67 said:

Hi,

I live in France, at 2 nm from frontier with Germany. So, i am part of rare french people who are able to speak and read german. When i compare the quality from the german simulation related periodics with the french publications, there is no doubt : the german simming communauty is much bigger then the french one. So, more readers, more budget, more content. And the french communauty is spreaded in a lot of different countries, from Quebec to Belgium, from Antillas to Africa. So, i understand that german scenies are much more awaited, and for sure, I regreat this, but it is the reality. There are lot of superb regions in Germany, from the Rhine valley to the Northern coast and a part of the Alps are in Germany. 

If i could suggest a good strategy : please Orbx, consider this : A region covering all the Rhine river could be very interesting for your customers in Swiss, France, Germany, Belgium and Netherland. 

And it could border your England region.

Voila voila

When there was that big poll some time back  (Michael says two years, time flies too !) I suggested an Alpine region with the Alps hemmed in a belt of lower lands in France, Italy, Austria, Switzerland and Germany. This option was not in the poll but got a good feedback from the community. 

The German community is maybe bigger but it also is well organized as you said, and was able to muster a large majority in this poll. Actually, there are few French or Italian simmers on this forum, at least participating. Hope to see you more, l'Alsacien (c'est plus joli que simu67, je trouve ;)).  

4 minutes ago, dominique said:

When there was that big poll some time back  (Michael says two years, time flies too !) I suggested an Alpine region with the .  

Just to not spread mis-information. Those two years were a very rough recall from my memory. As far as I know the poll and its results were deleted from the forum later. A deep forensic search would certainly reveal its traces, but I am not inclined to invest time into this.

Kind regards, Michael

11 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Sometimes time does not fly quite as fast as we think.

The topic was posted on 24th January 2015 and

the last post was 5th March 2015.

Maybe a relativistic effect of sort at work (a black hole or something), like Michael I thought it older than that :rolleyes:.

12 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

Just got this http://marcoh.gratisim.fr/paris_fr.html

and it is beautiful!  Grab it, he's made it OrbX compatible.

Sue

I cannot make it work without OOM before takeoff.  A bit too heavy for my setup.  Perhaps there are some settings that I need to adjust -- a pity for me because it is quite impressive and I know I would enjoy it.

Archived