MAINTENANCE NOTIFICATION: NOVEMBER 11TH - NOVEMBER 16TH

Jay Kae

Hey all,

Now that IPS4 finally has it's security issues fixed and a few other issues that were reported have been dealt with it well, I am finally getting to the final sandbox so upgrade of the forum is imminent.

These are the biggest changes:

User / Display Names
Usernames and display names have been merged in IPS4. As the administrator, you may select which to keep during the upgrade process. Please note that this field will be the publicly displayed field for the user. 

We have chosen Display Names

Friends / Followers
Instead of friends, IPS4 features followers. A member now has the ability to follow another member without that being automatically reciprocal. You have the option of converting friends to followers, but please beware that this option may result in undesired notifications based on new content from followed members and we do NOT recommend you opt to convert. 

We have chosen Don't convert friends

Question and Answer Forums
Previous versions of the software allowed enabling of "Mark as Solved" on a per-forum basis. IPS4 enhances this functionality by allowing members to ask questions and rate their answers. Would you like to convert existing "solved" topics or leave them as-is?

We have chosen Convert Existing Topics

If you want to play around with what things will look like visit http://aussiex.orgas we are running the latest version there.

There will be downtime and probably lots of it on day 1 but I will keep it as minimal as I can.

ONE MORE IMPORTANT THING:

Until I post back in here after the forums come back up, and I say that I am finished, PLEASE do NOT open support threads reporting things, I know you all mean well but answering those takes time and it is time I can use to fix things in the background :) Thank you !!

Ok, tomorrow is the day, all worked well in the sandbox but it still will be a huge job, with almost a million posts a lot of things will have to be done manual and things may not work as intended with a live and moving forum so please bare with me and please again, do not report issues until I open a topic about it, please.

12 minutes ago, DesertPilot85 said:

It appears that signatures are currently disabled with this new forum system?  This is a significant issue as that's how many users post their order numbers required for Orbx support.

ONE MORE IMPORTANT THING:

Until I post back in here after the forums come back up, and I say that I am finished, PLEASE do NOT open support threads reporting things, I know you all mean well but answering those takes time and it is time I can use to fix things in the background :) Thank you !!

Also please do not report things until I am done, thank you for trying to help but I am aware of the issue

6 minutes ago, Jiří Kocman said:

Hello, looks like data migration make corrupt diacritics, there is possibility change name?

Jiri

Also please do not report things until I am done, thank you for trying to help but I am aware of the issue

Jae, I think you should go over to Aerosoft and give them a hand!  Don't get me wrong, I still think this setup looks bloody awful,(looks like the inside of my freezer :wacko:) but at least I've been able to knock it into some kind of shape. For example, I don't want to see P3D forums. So that's all good. ;)

35 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Jae, I think you should go over to Aerosoft and give them a hand!  Don't get me wrong, I still think this setup looks bloody awful,(looks like the inside of my freezer :wacko:) but at least I've been able to knock it into some kind of shape. For example, I don't want to see P3D forums. So that's all good. ;)

How do you arrange this, Ron?  I only want to see the P3D forums.

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks. I thought it was only me.

I am very sorry, I disliked this board from Aerosoft and was in hope it would never appear here. Unfortunately, always the worst hopes come true, Maybe, Jay will be able to turn it into soemthing useful with time. Who knows.

Kind regards, Michael

54 minutes ago, pmb said:

How do you arrange this, Ron?  I only want to see the P3D forums.

Kind regards, Michael

Check out the "Activity" tab at the very top, to the right of the "Browse" tab....I was able to create my custom list of favorite forums to follow.

8 minutes ago, DesertPilot85 said:

Check out the "Activity" tab at the very top, to the right of the "Browse" tab....I was able to create my custom list of favorite forums to follow.

I made my own selection from New Contents|Edit this stream and saved it as a new stream under "MyContents". I'll see if this buys me what I want,..

Maybe it's my age that all new things are worse.

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks for all your hard work, Jay!

I think people are too quick to criticise the overall "look and feel". Getting a decent working format can sometimes take time - it usually "evolves".

However - I can already see that there's a LOT of new "behind the scenes" functionality. As a fully registered/paid up member of the "Daft Old Farts" Club, I'm usually suspicious of new fangled things (when the tired old one appeared to work well!), but I really do like the changes so far - well done!

Just one comment/request to add to your list (no rush): can we have "previews" and "code previews" enabled in the editor? I sometimes caption the wrong pic and often need a quick peek to see which one went where as I create the post.

Keep taking the tablets!

Adam.

On Fri Nov 06 2015 07:51:14 GMT-0600, Ron Attwood said:

Oh no! Not another !PS board. :(

Yeah, I'm not liking it either, but nothing we can do. I don't know if they get charged by the amount of people visiting the forum or how that works, but if they do, it will help reduce their costs if people don't visit as frequently due to this. I used to browse at least once a day, but with this new format and the way it looks, I'll probably not visit as frequently which may save them money in the long run if bandwidth usage is reduced.

1 hour ago, GordonGekko said:

Yeah, I'm not liking it either, but nothing we can do. I don't know if they get charged by the amount of people visiting the forum or how that works, but if they do, it will help reduce their costs if people don't visit as frequently due to this. I used to browse at least once a day, but with this new format and the way it looks, I'll probably not visit as frequently which may save them money in the long run if bandwidth usage is reduced.

Meh, you'll get used to it, matter of fact there have been more unique visits in the last two days than normal and staying with IPB3 would have put your security at risk, we have to go forward, not backward else we all still would be trying to fly 3 meters on the Wright brothers little plane, now wouldn't we ;) 

I don't think people realise how much work goes into keeping sites secure these days - and your email addresses safe from SPAM harvesters etc.

I manage around 30 CMS-type websites (Joomla) and have to constantly update them [all] as and when security fixes become available. Sometimes, it means upgrading to a whole new version - whether you like it or not. Not fun, if you multiply that by 30 :(

Before being a web-developer, I was (and still am, I suppose) a Graphic Designer ... so I like to think I have a fairly keen eye on the visuals. Though I think some of the *features* are still to be tweaked, I don't see any problem at all with the "new" look and feel. Damn' thing works - and appears quite fast. What more do we want? :D

Adam.

Nothing to complain about, but it's bothering me: the lack of possibility to preview the post.

This was a good tool: sometimes we format the text and places screenshots thinking is good, but you always have to make some adjustment.

If possible, I'd like this tool back.

Cheers,

Voyager

Archived