A retirement gift!

Orbxtreme

Hi, I just wanted to share six pictures of a recent helicopter flight that was offered to me by the Nav Canada employees as a retirement gift. The helicopter is a Eurocopter EC120 Colibri, able to accomodate 5 persons including the pilot (I like to include the pilot when I ride in a helicopter).

EurocopterEC120Colibri.jpg

On the right side of the picture, you can see the Nav Canada Challenger that was there for flight inspection.

IMG_8116-AeroportdeQuebec2015web.jpg

Far away, you can possible notice the Château Frontenac, on top of Cap Diamant.

IMG_8136-PromenadedeChamplainQuebec2015w

A better view here...

IMG_8168-ChateauFrontenac2015web.jpg

I was lucky enough to capture the Queen Mary II arriving along the Île d'Orléans, heading to Quebec City. Lots of cruise ships at this time of the year.

IMG_8179-QueenMary2arrivinginQuebecCity2

Finally, the pilot who saved my life (he did not crash)...

IMG_8226-EC-120andpilotoverQuebec2015web

Thanks for watching!

François

Nice gift, did it include any stick time?

No, as there was other passengers sitting behind, I did not dare to ask. The only thing I requested is the door to be removed so that I don't take pictures through plexiglass, but they refused (at least I tried...). It was nice to see the pilot fly the helicopter under gusty winds, especially at take-off and landing.

Thanks Dominique. I think we will need some of those water tankers in the 2nd photo (I think they are anyway?) down here in OZ this summer. It is shaping up to be a bad summer season for fires here.

Cheers  Dan

Thanks Dominique. I think we will need some of those water tankers in the 2nd photo (I think they are anyway?) down here in OZ this summer. It is shaping up to be a bad summer season for fires here.

Cheers  Dan

More and more extreme weather around the world, you bet. You are right about the water tankers in the 2nd photo, although I could only show few of them. Normally, you would see 10 or 12 when they are back from duties from all around the Province of Quebec during summer time. We still have few of the older CL-215 but mostly now we see CL-415.

François

I think it would make sense to cross station facilities between OZ and Canada during their respective fire seasons; Unfortunately one of the many things that Canadians and Australians have in common.

Unfortunately one of the many things that Canadians and Australians have in common.

This summer, quite a few Superscooper flights of the Protection Civile overflew my home which is not far from a lake where they get their water. Spectacular to watch but the fires were less than 10 miles away...

Archived