Overload in San Francisco

bradley27

Okay so with the release of Flightbeams reboot of KSFO its dawned on me that there will be potential opportunities for OOMs and frame drops galore more so than ever following FTX OpenLC USA and Cityscape San Francisco.

For what is already by default a risky place to fly San Francisco already has FTX Global, FTX Vector upgrades, then the optional and hard to refuse FTX NCA and soon to be FTX SCA.

Then there's FTX OpenLC USA and Cityscape San Francisco.....

Can i ask what it is these are all doing for the users visual experience in terms of difference?

Cityscape San Francisco i can assume is very much a Limesim US Cities X type project and will no doubt be the cream on the cake for OOMs especially for those of us wanting to use PMDG 777/737NGX aircarft along with Flightbeam KSFO and ORBX Global/Vector/OpenLC USA (once its released) and FTX NCA/SCA.

I know personally as a user of Global,Vector, and FTX NCA i will purchase FTX OpenLC USA once its released but what is frustrating is the fact that there are calls to deactivate FTX NCA when using Flightbeam KSFO which begs the question...was there any point in buying NCA it if all it does is draw potential threats for OOMs when your trying to enjoy the PMDG 777 with alittle eye candy....

Are you not just re-layering FTX Global with FTX OpenLC USA then FTX NCA/SCA then Cityscape?

It is my understanding that any full-fat regions (NCA, Southern Alaska, etc) would completely override openLC, with the appropriate scenery.cfg priorities set.

Nevertheless, I still quickly hit an OOM (in P3Dv2) yesterday after installing KSFOHD, while flying from SFO over the city of San Francisco and then back towards SFO, with a simple GA aircraft and with Flight1's GTN running.  This was with NCA installed, and I did have my scenery sliders set to at least Dense.  I also have KSQL and Cielosim's KPAO installed.

I'm going to create a separate SIMstarter profile for the San Francisco Bay Area, with scenery sliders set to Normal or even lower, and see whether that helps.

I think when Cityscape SF comes out, I may have to disable KSFOHD when exploring the city in detail.  And perhaps also disable KSQL and maybe KPAO as well.

Maybe there shoould be an option to exclude the SFO area from FTX NorCal? ...or also to exclude the LAX area from SoCal when it is released..

So far I haven't planned to buy KSFO despite ist amazing quality just because of these problems, as I still want to fly to Redding, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite National Park, Blue Canyon-Nyack,... And for the same reason I'm curious if I will really buy SoCal as attractive as it might be (I don't want to get rid of FSDT KLAX or Sim720 KCRQ,...).

I think this option wouldn't be too bad.

I can't help, but I made several round trips in the Bay Area in P3D after installing KSFO HD yesterday. This was with ORBX NCA, San Carlos, Palo Alto (Cielosim) active in the Alabeo C172. Nearly all scenery settings incl. autogen at maximum (yes, except terrain 5m). However I keep texture resolution at 1024 and I use SimStarter to deactivate all EU/NZ/Global... scenery not in use in the Bay Area. Traffic with UT2 is active (something like 40 %).

I still did not hit any OOM so far. Performance is (marginally) worse than with the non-HD version, but the Bay Area has been a performance hog forever, and even without any addon KSFO, HD or not. 

I am quite happy with KSFO HD, and it looks really great. 

Kind regards, Michael

Just tried the trial version of KSFOHD. I'm really disappointed, FPS there in the NGX is averaging around 20 with very low settings in P3D. Oh well. Guess that's another huge airport I'll never be able to run, despite my PC being as powerful as it is. Thank god for the free trial, glad I didn't set myself back a ton.

Hoping P3D v3 will improve FPS, if I could ever even get the money to upgrade my ORBX installers I already payed a ton of money for to v3...

The topic of OOMs in this area we all know about, its the same with London, New York, Seattle Tacoma (for some) and Los Angeles.

What my real concern is looks towards products that already cover an area being duplicated...FTX NCA and FTX OpenLC with CityScape San Francisco ontop.

Global is a worldwide texture upgrade, then you sit FTX NCA on top of that which brings it closer to life but then out comes FTX OpenLC USA which covers all of the USA and will of course feature its own upgraded Northern and Southern California to some extent so my question is what is NCA/SCA doing that Cityscape or FTX OpenLC USA cant do for this part of the USA other than draw calls to be deactivated if you wish to use Flightbeams work with a good payware aircraft?

I can't help, but I made several round trips in the Bay Area in P3D after installing KSFO HD yesterday. This was with ORBX NCA, San Carlos, Palo Alto (Cielosim) active in the Alabeo C172. Nearly all scenery settings incl. autogen at maximum (yes, except terrain 5m). However I keep texture resolution at 1024 and I use SimStarter to deactivate all EU/NZ/Global... scenery not in use in the Bay Area. Traffic with UT2 is active (something like 40 %).

I still did not hit any OOM so far. Performance is (marginally) worse than with the non-HD version, but the Bay Area has been a performance hog forever, and even without any addon KSFO, HD or not. 

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks for sharing your findings, Michael.  I did have my texture resolution set to 2048, so I'll try changing to 1024 and see whether that helps.

Kind regards, Michael

This is very useful advice, as I plan to purchase this in the near future.  Thank you, Michael.

Stew

Well on the Flightbeam forums Mir recommends disabling NCA region if flying complex aircraft and just use Global and Vector.

Yes, I read this. Fortunately, I don't fly complex aircraft and, as I said, didn't get an OOM in my tiny C172 so far. Mir did this recommend in advance already, but not sure if this is a really good advise: You have a choice betwen a nice KSFO and a poor City or between a poor KSFO and a nice City. The devil or the deep blue sea. I expected this.

I really hope all this will be sorted at least for the P3D users with version 3 which is expected to have a different memory management system. Mir confirmed already (I think it was on his facebook page) he is testing KSFO-HD under P3D3.

Kind regards, Michael

When you guys say "turn off" a certain airport or scenery area are you referring to the "Library Setting" in FSX?

Matthew

yes Matthew, you just take the check out of it in the Library. :)

I've only had to do KSQL on my heavy hitting Jetliners.  Everything else flies just fine with 22-30 fps.  So far for me since KSQL is so close and is in line with 28R /28L final approaches. Those were the only ones I has any OOM's on.   Once I turned that one airport off, I could land normally. 

Well on the Flightbeam forums Mir recommends disabling NCA region if flying complex aircraft and just use Global and Vector.

I think the reason I love ORBX so much is because they actually give you an option on how much detail you want in an airport. You can just go crazy with it and leave every box checked, or you can uncheck a ton of stuff but still have a nice airport.

I think it's ridiculous that we've gotten to the point that developers decide to make people just disable their scenery instead of further optimizing their airports and removing/ making amount of details an option. The new KSFO is so detailed. that's great and all, but this is a flight simulator we're talking about. If I'm flying the 737, I'm not going to care about all the trees and bushes and details at the entrance to the airport, I'll be focused on the airside portion and most of all flying the plane. Developers are putting in too much detail, much of which will barely ever be seen, and FPS and VAS suffer as a result..

I think the reason I love ORBX so much is because they actually give you an option on how much detail you want in an airport. You can just go crazy with it and leave every box checked, or you can uncheck a ton of stuff but still have a nice airport.

I think it's ridiculous that we've gotten to the point that developers decide to make people just disable their scenery instead of further optimizing their airports and removing/ making amount of details an option. The new KSFO is so detailed. that's great and all, but this is a flight simulator we're talking about. If I'm flying the 737, I'm not going to care about all the trees and bushes and details at the entrance to the airport, I'll be focused on the airside portion and most of all flying the plane. Developers are putting in too much detail, much of which will barely ever be seen, and FPS and VAS suffer as a result..

That's a good point. 

I'll do some test with features turned off rather than the airport. and let you guys know. 

I seem to remember stuff like cranes and whatnots you can turn off on the airport menus for KSQL and NCal. BTW, I'm I testing it with the Milviz 737-200 if you familiar with how detailed that aircraft is.  :)

That's a good point. 

I'll do some test with features turned off rather than the airport. and let you guys know. 

I seem to remember stuff like cranes and whatnots you can turn off on the airport menus for KSQL and NCal. BTW, I'm I testing it with the Milviz 737-200 if you familiar with how detailed that aircraft is.   :)

Those cranes and the Alameda marina have to be manually turned off, as I recall, not in the airport menu.

Stew

Those cranes and the Alameda marina have to be manually turned off, as I recall, not in the airport menu.

Stew

For those who have KSQL, the KSQL control panel does have three "FTX Northern California" options: (1) Marina and docks, (2) Cranes, and (3) Marine lights.

Stew

yeah it's in the menu for KSQL. I just tested with a fly around with the Milviz 737.  Took a little hit to the FPS , but no OOM's.   Landed , parked at terminal, and extended ramp to plane. :)

2015-9-16_13-42-41-189_zpsude5t9cj.png

For those who have KSQL, the KSQL control panel does have three "FTX Northern California" options: (1) Marina and docks, (2) Cranes, and (3) Marine lights.

I appreciate the correction.  I just didn't remember one way or the other.  Before KSQL came out, we had to disable them manually.

Stew

FPS there in the NGX is averaging around 20 with very low settings in P3D.

It seems many flying PMDG stuff have the most complaints about OOM. I would certainly expect to have to back off the scenery detail and traffic a bit. Maybe PMDG are the ones who should think about optimizing their products. But if I were getting 20fps, I would be a happy camper.

It seems many flying PMDG stuff have the most complaints about OOM. I would certainly expect to have to back off the scenery detail and traffic a bit. Maybe PMDG are the ones who should think about optimizing their products. But if I were getting 20fps, I would be a happy camper.

I've actually never gotten an OOM in a PMDG aircraft, somehow. I keep both my scenery and vegetation at normal and traffic at 0, yet performance just won't be reasonable.

If Flightbeam gave us an option to get rid of the rather excessive detail in non airside portions of the airport, reduce the density of static objects, and other things that get in the way of performance, we'd have a great performing airport. Take ORBX airports for example. We can literally reduce the density of everything to the point where we as customers get good performance.

There's also the fact that the KSFO area is kind of a framerate pit, similar to Seattle. I'm hoping that ORBX will find some way to optimize the KSFO area when San Francisco cityscape is released. Until then, I guess I won't be flying into KSFO...

It is my understanding that any full-fat regions (NCA, Southern Alaska, etc) would completely override openLC, with the appropriate scenery.cfg priorities set.

Nevertheless, I still quickly hit an OOM (in P3Dv2) yesterday after installing KSFOHD, while flying from SFO over the city of San Francisco and then back towards SFO, with a simple GA aircraft and with Flight1's GTN running.  This was with NCA installed, and I did have my scenery sliders set to at least Dense.  I also have KSQL and Cielosim's KPAO installed.

I'm going to create a separate SIMstarter profile for the San Francisco Bay Area, with scenery sliders set to Normal or even lower, and see whether that helps.

I think when Cityscape SF comes out, I may have to disable KSFOHD when exploring the city in detail.  And perhaps also disable KSQL and maybe KPAO as well.

An update...I changed my texture resolution from 2048 to 1024, and that definitely helped with memory--no OOMs this time.

Also, earlier, I had NCA marina/docks and marine lights enabled.  This time I disabled them (along with cranes), and I was able to observe FPS in the 30s while landing at KSFOHD in my Alabeo Pipersport, after taking off from KSQL and flying over the city before looping back to KSFO.  While keeping my scenery sliders at dense settings (with "scenery complexity" kept at extremely dense, to ensure all airport details are displayed).

I am very pleased now, and happy I'm able to keep KSQL and KPAO enabled along with KSFOHD.  I think I'll stick with texture at 1024 when flying over complex urban areas.

Hi Desert Pilot,

glad that helped. Rob A. - the P3D Guru - made a detailed comparison with screnshots using the different texture resolutions some time ago. While there are differences, e.g. close to a runway, you can note with sharp eyes, they are rather minor when you concentrate on handling the plane or glancing over the general landscape.

I still hope P3D3 will find a way to solve or at least alleviate the memory issues,which have consequences far beyond OOMs. There are the limited Autogen radius, Autogen (and some other objects like bridges) popping, and the limited LOD setting.

Kind regards, Michael 

Its very funny that everyone blames everyone for OOMs and bad FPS. As an example take the resent KSFOHD, they recommend to disable Orbx regions for better FPS and no OOM's. Others say well you need to downscale your textures and in circles we go.... . PMDG says disable scenery add-ons, scenery developers say downscale PMDG resolution textures and get rid of the external model?!.  Another thing that is very unclear is the 'recommended settings guide' how many guides are there? LOL! Take Orbx for example: Global has a guide, FTX Tress has a guide, Vector has a guide. Witch one do I follow? Flytampa made a guide witch is totally different from Orbx's. Every developer is making different guides.

Just very unclear is to why the major developers cannot sit together and discuss ONE guide that fits the majority of users.

Its very funny that everyone blames everyone for OOMs and bad FPS. As an example take the resent KSFOHD, they recommend to disable Orbx regions for better FPS and no OOM's. Others say well you need to downscale your textures and in circles we go.... . PMDG says disable scenery add-ons, scenery developers say downscale PMDG resolution textures and get rid of the external model?!.  Another thing that is very unclear is the 'recommended settings guide' how many guides are there? LOL! Take Orbx for example: Global has a guide, FTX Tress has a guide, Vector has a guide. Witch one do I follow? Flytampa made a guide witch is totally different from Orbx's. Every developer is making different guides.

Just very unclear is to why the major developers cannot sit together and discuss ONE guide that fits the majority of users.

All of the above add to VAS. PMDG, scenery etc. So of course all have their own recommandations. What you propose does not make sense as every user has his own unique system and his own unique preferences and setup.

Example: I don't care about tubeliners, PMDG or KSFO, so I can use all the OrbX goodies with almost all sliders to the right and never had an OOM on my rig. Others who exclusively fly the PMDG birds are better off to avoid any full-fat region and only use the Global product range, IMHO.

All of the above add to VAS. PMDG, scenery etc. So of course all have their own recommandations. What you propose does not make sense as every user has his own unique system and his own unique preferences and setup.

Example: I don't care about tubeliners, PMDG or KSFO, so I can use all the OrbX goodies with almost all sliders to the right and never had an OOM on my rig. Others who exclusively fly the PMDG birds are better off to avoid any full-fat region and only use the Global product range, IMHO.

It doesn't make sense for you because as you said that you ONLY fly Orbx. I'm one of the other users who fly's PMDG and Aerosoft airplanes and use other software developers for Airports (Not because Orbx are bad, but because Orbx airports are not my target airports). I can tell you that having a choice of either A and or B is not the best solution at least for me. I'm sure that many other users do use programs as ASN and PMDG witch again come with there recommended setting.

I will give you another example: About two weeks ago I have decided to uninstall all of my addons, just have the vanilla FSX SE. I have used the default airports and airplanes and FSX SE provided live weather function. I can tell you that I haven't gotten a single OOM, great FPS (50-110) even while flying over dense areas such as KLAX, KSFO...etc.  As soon, I have installed all of my addons back again, BOOM OOMs are back, FPS in its 20s 30s, lag spikes...etc. So who to blame in this situation? Me? Because I have decided to only spend 1500Euros on my PC instead of spending 10K? The developers of other addons? Or FSX ? And more importantly, whos guide do I use? StevesDX10 guide? Orbx guide, as Im using Vector, Global, Europe, Trees? FlyTampas guide, as that's the majority of my airports? UK2000's guide? PMDG's guide? ASN guide?

FSX clearly.

It doesn't matter how much you spend on your PC, it will be limited by

the 4096 mb of VAS that is available.

Arguably, the more powerful the PC, the greater level of detail it can display

and therefore it can reach the VAS limit earlier.

The only way is to manage the settings to allow for the extra load imposed

by a particular aircraft, airport or scenery, or more often a combination of them

all.

Hello Nick, thanks for your replay.

But just for argument sake,FSX SE works good without add-ons. Its only when the add-ons start to add up that FSX crashes and lags.

If I will go and get a Toyota from a dealership, the car drives okay. Then I decide to go and customize my Toyota, so that it would look like and drive like something else. I go to a body shop and they install, repaint, add and modify many feathers of it. While I'm driving on a highway my car stalls. Who do I blame? I go to Toyota and tell them what kind of ***** is this? (Im not picking on Toyotas, just as an example), they tell me that its not there fault, its the fault of the body shop. I go back to the body shop and they tell me that its Toyotas fault as it cant really handle all of the modifications. So whos fault is it really?  

Many thanks,

I believe in all Gods of this world but not that this is going to happen. ;)

Kind regards, Michael

Majority of users? What's that exactly? I guess you have your preferences in mind. But that isn't neccessarily "the majority".

BTW I do not use only OrbX stuff, i have tons of other stuff. The reason I don't get OOMs is because I do not fly resource monsters like Boeing or Airbus. Therefore I can enjoy the visual stuff of all the others in its fullest. A recommandation for guys like me would be completely different than what would make sense for guys like you. And then there are tons of guys between us.

Majority of users? What's that exactly? I guess you have your preferences in mind. But that isn't neccessarily "the majority".

BTW I do not use only OrbX stuff, i have tons of other stuff. The reason I don't get OOMs is because I do not fly resource monsters like Boeing or Airbus. Therefore I can enjoy the visual stuff of all the others in its fullest. A recommandation for guys like me would be completely different than what would make sense for guys like you. And then there are tons of guys between us.

Majority of Users? I think you might have misread something. I said "Many Users'

So you are suggesting to not use 'Monsters like Boeing or Airbus" ?

I don't understand your point?

Hello Nick, thanks for your replay.

But just for argument sake,FSX SE works good without add-ons. Its only when the add-ons start to add up that FSX crashes and lags.

If, for fault, you mean cause then both FSX and Toyota are the cause,

because both have been overloaded beyond what they can carry.

The fault, as in error, then lies with whoever adds the extra load beyond

the limit that the simulator or car can carry.

Unfortunately, at the moment there is no alternative, so the only option left

is to manage the load to avoid breakdowns.

If, for fault, you mean cause then both FSX and Toyota are the cause,

because both have been overloaded beyond what they can carry.

The fault, as in error, then lies with whoever adds the extra load beyond

the limit that the simulator or car can carry.

Unfortunately, at the moment there is no alternative, so the only option left

is to manage the load to avoid breakdowns.

Hello Nick;

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not pointing any figures at any developers. All I'm saying is that It will be nice if the majority of big companies (Yes, Vora, I said majority) like:Orbx, PMDG, ASN, REX, Aerosoft....all "agreed on" on what settings in general to use while using there products. And modified there products to work correctly within those settings.Its very frustrating when someone is trying to enjoy a great product such as Orbx you have to have "This Setting", but to enjoy a different product you must have 'those setting" that totally contradict to one another. So at the end people don't have to choose between A and B, but can enjoy both products together.

Majority of Users? I think you might have misread something. I said "Many Users'

So you are suggesting to not use 'Monsters like Boeing or Airbus" ?

I don't understand your point?

My point is this:

Airbus, Boeing: sliders to the left

DeHavilland, Avro: sliders in the middle

Cessna, Piper, Beech: sliders to the right

That is as general as you can get with recommendations.

When you choose an airplane it will take a certain amount of computer resources. All the stuff outside the window has to cope with the rest of the resources. A PMDG bird takes a huge chunk of those limited resources, a Carenado bird won't. So in the first case you can add only so much until an OOM ends your session while in the last case an OOM is very improbable.

In other words. If I would use my sim only to fly PMDG birds from FlyTampa to FlightBeam, staring at the FMC at FL300, I would only install the mega airports, FTX Global, OpenLC (if available), REX4 and ASN. Nothing else. No vector, mesh or other goodies. This way your VAS will stay below 4GB and you won't get OOMs.

My point is this:

Airbus, Boeing: sliders to the left

DeHavilland, Avro: sliders in the middle

Cessna, Piper, Beech: sliders to the right

That is as general as you can get with recommendations.

When you choose an airplane it will take a certain amount of computer resources. All the stuff outside the window has to cope with the rest of the resources. A PMDG bird takes a huge chunk of those limited resources, a Carenado bird won't. So in the first case you can add only so much until an OOM ends your session while in the last case an OOM is very improbable.

In other words. If I would use my sim only to fly PMDG birds from FlyTampa to FlightBeam, staring at the FMC at FL300, I would only install the mega airports, FTX Global, OpenLC (if available), REX4 and ASN. Nothing else. No vector, mesh or other goodies. This way your VAS will stay below 4GB and you won't get OOMs.

Hello Vora;

I understand what you are saying. And that's what I "kinda" do as well. But my point is that you have FlyTampas recommended settings, FlighBeams recommended settings, FTX Global recommended settings, REX4 recommended settings (They recommend everything is HD btw lol), ASN recommended settings and Finally PMDGs recommended settings. And if you add Vector, it too, has its recommended settings. And if I like to mix it up, one day fly the PMDG and the next day fly the Duke, I shouldn't have to uninstall and reinstall Vector all the time. So witch settings do you use? Or you don't? You make your own?  

My point is that all of those add-ons recommend different settings in order for you to fully enjoy there products.

Hello Vora;

I understand what you are saying. And that's what I "kinda" do as well. But my point is that you have FlyTampas recommended settings, FlighBeams recommended settings, FTX Global recommended settings, REX4 recommended settings (They recommend everything is HD btw lol), ASN recommended settings and Finally PMDGs recommended settings. And if you add Vector, it too, has its recommended settings. And if I like to mix it up, one day fly the PMDG and the next day fly the Duke, I shouldn't have to uninstall and reinstall Vector all the time. So witch settings do you use? Or you don't? You make your own?  

My point is that all of those add-ons recommend different settings in order for you to fully enjoy there products.

If you press Ctrl+Shift+Esc you will see a list of your background processes which take away computer resources. This list is almost as unique to you as your fingerprint. This is because the PC is an open system. Now FSX is an open system as well. The manufacturers of addons cannot give you firm recommendations because of the endless combinations of PC settings, FSX addons, planned flight route etc. They can only give you a hint about minimal settings of their product

If you fly a tubeliner -> scale back as much as your eyes can take, if you fly a single prop -> scale up as much as your system can take.

Unfortunately "as much as your eyes can take" and "as much as your system can take" are also very unique to you.

You simply have to know that if you fly an NGX from FB KSFO to T2G KSEA above a cloud layer of REX4 4096 soft clouds, with NCA and PNW underneath, probably overflying some FTX airports like Redding or Creswell, then your flight is surely dOOMed. This is basic knowledge for handling FS-based simulators you have to know. The various addon producers cannot take over this task from you.

If you press Ctrl+Shift+Esc you will see a list of your background processes which take away computer resources. This list is almost as unique to you as your fingerprint. This is because the PC is an open system. Now FSX is an open system as well. The manufacturers of addons cannot give you firm recommendations because of the endless combinations of PC settings, FSX addons, planned flight route etc. They can only give you a hint about minimal settings of their product

If you fly a tubeliner -> scale back as much as your eyes can take, if you fly a single prop -> scale up as much as your system can take.

Unfortunately "as much as your eyes can take" and "as much as your system can take" are also very unique to you.

You simply have to know that if you fly an NGX from FB KSFO to T2G KSEA above a cloud layer of REX4 4096 soft clouds, with NCA and PNW underneath, probably overflying some FTX airports like Redding or Creswell, then your flight is surely dOOMed. This is basic knowledge for handling FS-based simulators you have to know. The various addon producers cannot take over this task from you.

Lets agree to disagree.

Hello Vora;

The only problem I can see with having a "universal recommended Settings" agreed upon by all developers, is that no one person has all those developers products.

Some lucky few may wish to fly the short hop from Seattle to Vancouver and have Orbx PNW, Taxi2Gate KSEA, Aerosoft Airbus X, REX 4, ASN, FS DreamTeam Vancouver and on and on and on, but I doubt that would be the majority. To suggest a recommended setting scenario for all addons being installed may well provide very good protection against OOMs and good performance, as the settings would be very low. But for those users not having all those packages, those low settings are essentially allowing resources to go to waste.

Then we get into the territory of "suggest a range of settings for different users based on their installations"... Except the degree of customization this would need is staggering. Not to mention some users prefer visuals over performance, so catering to every user preference and every user configuration is simply not possible.

Additionally, no developer wants to say to their users "Hey! look at these amazing details we added to our product! We recommend you use lower settings so you'll never see them, but they're there and they're awesome!"... Product features are there to be used, and developers want users to be able to do so. 

All in all, with all things considered, most developers will therefore suggest settings based on how to get the most out of your system assuming that this is your only addon installed. For users installing multiple high fidelity addons for simultaneous use, the onus of determining what sacrifices to make and where to make them fall to them and them alone. 

Archived